Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:42 PM

18 posts, read 20,885 times

Advertisements

Just had yet another painful call with Petro, who offered me a ceiling of $2.75 / 1 Year; $3.08 2 yrs.
I have a pretty old burner that needs a decent service contract and was wondering if anyone had experience working with Discount-Fuel, whose prices seem quite reasonable as does their service:

https://www.discount-fuel.com/oil-prices/

https://www.discount-fuel.com/burner...ice-contracts/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 PM

81 posts, read 87,910 times
forget contracts.. use Find home heating oil prices in your area. Codfuel.com makes ordering oil easy.
a bunch of users including myself use it.

just got oil for $1.63 a gallon.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:30 AM

Forget contracts?! You appear to be someone who works for, or is associated with, COD. Not helpful.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:32 AM

6,382 posts, read 13,108,348 times
Then dont take his advice and go sign that $2.75 a gallon contract !! You will only be paying $1.12 more per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBoy52 View Post
Forget contracts?! You appear to be someone who works for, or is associated with, COD. Not helpful.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:45 AM

If you had taken the time to carefully read my post, you would have seen the link to a price schedule for Discount-Fuel. My level of use would be actually be $1.59 a gallon. So my question is not who's the cheapest, but whether anyone has done business with DF and found them to be reliable, etc.

Last edited by BrooklynBoy52; 12-08-2015 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-08-2015, 10:48 AM

730 posts, read 1,649,402 times
Quote:
Just had yet another painful call with Petro, who offered me a ceiling of $2.75 / 1 Year; $3.08 2 yrs.
I have a pretty old burner that needs a decent service contract and was wondering if anyone had experience working with Discount-Fuel, whose prices seem quite reasonable as does their service:

https://www.discount-fuel.com/oil-prices/

https://www.discount-fuel.com/burner...ice-contracts/

I sense your concern about the maintenance contract on your heating equipment. You are speaking with the wrong person at Petro. I signed up with them about 6 weeks ago with a variable rate with 2.29 CAP and free maintenance contract.

Ask to speak with a local supervisor and tell them what you want to pay and negotiate from there. They have call centers that have no authority to negotiate - get them to get you a local contact.

Your oil price will not be as low as the COD guys, but when you figure that you use probably 1,000 gallons and the maintenance contract will probably cost $300. (and be limited at that). So, if Petro is 30 cents higher, you're at breakeven against the COD guy.

I don't work for Petro - but they have given me good service with maintenance.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
I sense your concern about the maintenance contract on your heating equipment. You are speaking with the wrong person at Petro. I signed up with them about 6 weeks ago with a variable rate with 2.29 CAP and free maintenance contract.

Ask to speak with a local supervisor and tell them what you want to pay and negotiate from there. They have call centers that have no authority to negotiate - get them to get you a local contact.

Your oil price will not be as low as the COD guys, but when you figure that you use probably 1,000 gallons and the maintenance contract will probably cost $300. (and be limited at that). So, if Petro is 30 cents higher, you're at breakeven against the COD guy.

I don't work for Petro - but they have given me good service with maintenance.
You have it precisely right, Peabody, and thanks so much. It is very much about the maintenance contract on the equipment. I've been with Petro for over 20 years and do remember (and value) service--the times they bailed me out at 5am. So, I would like to stay with them if it makes sense.

The rep I spoke to last night was not supervisory or retention. Are you saying it's as simple as me asking to speak to a "local supervisor" as the people who first answer don't want to let you off the phone without a deal in place.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:31 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,980,275 times
Quote:
I don't use contracts either. I get my fuel cheaper by shopping around, and have had to get a repair once in 9 years. I don't work for COD.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:44 PM

782 posts, read 1,413,947 times
Quote:
You have it precisely right, Peabody, and thanks so much. It is very much about the maintenance contract on the equipment. I've been with Petro for over 20 years and do remember (and value) service--the times they bailed me out at 5am. So, I would like to stay with them if it makes sense.

The rep I spoke to last night was not supervisory or retention. Are you saying it's as simple as me asking to speak to a "local supervisor" as the people who first answer don't want to let you off the phone without a deal in place.
Call Meenan Oil. They are sister companies. I have Meenan oil now and they have "excellent" service contract, 24/7. You will get a much lower oil rate as a new customer and still have the same service as with Petro. With the current price with Oil, I would not be surprised if you got a fixed rate of $1.99.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Call Meenan Oil. They are sister companies. I have Meenan oil now and they have "excellent" service contract, 24/7. You will get a much lower oil rate as a new customer and still have the same service as with Petro. With the current price with Oil, I would not be surprised if you got a fixed rate of $1.99.
Thank you, allso great advice, and was my first impulse. But I read on a recent thread that Meenan has stopped taking on Petro customers. This was news to me, can you or anyone else verify that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island