Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM

92 posts, read 167,256 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone that responded. I appreciate the honest feedback. Definitely seems like a place to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post
We are looking to buy a home in Suffolk County. We are looking for low taxes and good schools...as everyone is on this island! I am looking at Centereach. Can anyone living in Centereach specifically give their honest opinions on the town? How do you like the schools, your neighborhood, the area in general?

I was also looking into Medford, but I am getting the impression that the Pat-Med school district is not too good. Just for a bit more info...Sachem is out because I hear they are in financial dire straits.

I appreciate any information anyone is willing to give. As we all know, buying a home is a major decision and I am just trying to be as smart about it as possible.

Thank you!
Out of those two, I prefer Patchogue. Old Medford is nice. I think Pat-Med schools can be good.

I think Centereach is an inland Shirley Mastic. No better. That's the type of people you will deal with - mostly working class whites. I'd avoid Centereach.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:40 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Out of those two, I prefer Patchogue. Old Medford is nice. I think Pat-Med schools can be good.

I think Centereach is an inland Shirley Mastic. No better. That's the type of people you will deal with - mostly working class whites. I'd avoid Centereach.
Centereach certainly isn't a great area but it's no Mastic, far from it. And lol yes stay away from those "awful" working class whites! SMH not to mention the area is diverse with a decent sized middle class Hispanic population. Better Stick to Ohio.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,711 times
Quote:

WOW! Those awful working class whites! RUUUNNNN!

Old 12-17-2015, 07:45 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Quote:

Totally wrong. Whites are a minority in Mastic, its mostly Black/Hispanic. Much higher crime there.
Centereach is a true middle class area. It will probably never become yuppified due to the lack of a train station.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:47 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
WOW! Those awful working class whites! RUUUNNNN!
He probably is used to Mercedes in most driveways.
True middle class ppl don't drive Mercedes.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:17 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Quote:

Mastic has gang issues. Was I asleep when working class whites became on par with Mastic bangers?

Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Mastic has gang issues. Was I asleep when working class whites became on par with Mastic bangers?
Centereach has gang issues also.

I don't like areas that are predominantly white, non college educated and ethnic. And working class. Centereach and Shirley and the Mastics are similar in that way.

I'm college educated and I really don't enjoy the LI working class scene.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:21 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post

I don't like areas that are predominantly white, non college educated and ethnic. And working class. Centereach and Shirley and the Mastics are similar in that way.

Please make sure you tell your barber, firefighter, police officer, mechanic, plumber, electrician, contractor, etc, how you feel. I'm sure they'd love to hear your opinion on the working class.

If you think Centereach is like Mastic, you're way off.

Trivia tip of the day: you can be blue collar and hold a degree. They're not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by LoveBeingAMommy; 12-18-2015 at 01:43 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 05:46 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post

Could you imagine if I replaced "white" in this line with any other minority group? Wow. So you are either classist, self-loathing, or racist take your pick. Not to mention centereach although 80% white, has a sizable Hispanic population and is much more diverse than many LI towns. And "shocker" I'm sure centereach has Plenty of "college educated" people nowadays as college education is practically as common as a high school diploma.

Last edited by peconic117; 12-18-2015 at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island