Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:14 AM

7 posts, read 5,077 times

Advertisements

thanks for the helps guys..the lirr is a bit expensive so at this time the car drive is the only option..I do have a place to stay in north bellmore so ill probably do that since the distance would be shorter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 AM

7 posts, read 5,077 times
as long as the drive back is under 2 hour's that would be ok..I can do that..

Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,530,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt800 View Post
It could easily be more than 2 hours depending on when you leave.The LIRR is less expensive when you factor in gas and parking, and it goes exactly where you want to be.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:06 AM

4,695 posts, read 8,734,267 times
Quote:
thanks appreciate it! since im closer to sunrise highway would sunrise take longer? just curious
this indicates to me that you're not all the familiar with the area...which makes me think you're not prepared for the soul crushing exercise a downtown brooklyn to suffolk county afternoon commute would be day after day after day.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:46 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,942,945 times
Quote:
why even bother get a LIRR monthly use the train plug in your phone problem solved. driving is NOT practical atlantic traffic is horrid the belt is worse the BQE your better off walking. as the intelligent people here will say take the train KISS. The train is no longer than an hour the drive easily 2 hours plus.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:58 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,568,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
this indicates to me that you're not all the familiar with the area...which makes me think you're not prepared for the soul crushing exercise a downtown brooklyn to suffolk county afternoon commute would be day after day after day.
This.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:14 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,791,900 times
I work near there and can't even imagine driving in. The LIRR, even with all its issues, is worth looking at. One nice thing is that the trains coming out of there are never that crowded - well, maybe after a game or event, but not at rush hour. I generally get a seat to myself. Also, the trains tend to be ready at the platform a good 10-15 minutes before scheduled departure, so you don't have the mad rush like at Penn.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:46 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Quote:
thanks for the helps guys..the lirr is a bit expensive so at this time the car drive is the only option..I do have a place to stay in north bellmore so ill probably do that since the distance would be shorter

Old 12-23-2015, 08:13 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:

Parking isn't exactly cheap either and once you add in the gas costs (even with gas prices being cheaper than they have been) I'm sure parking + added gas is more expensive than the LIRR, not to mention how horrid that commute would be.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:24 AM

352 posts, read 385,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I'm guessing that he's probably a young person who think's driving is easy and not expensive. If that's the case he/she will get a quick education. Try that ride on a rainy afternoon with some minor flooding, coming home on the Belt and going past JFK, etc. And remember, there's more to driving costs than gas and parking. You will need more oil changes, be wearing out tires, brakes and the car in general. Possible that your insurance may also go up based on miles driven to work. Your lost time is worth something as well.

Don't do it, take the train from LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island