Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 02:31 PM

5 posts, read 9,511 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the South Shore (Massapequa) and am fully aware of the positives (beaches, schools, proximity to NYC and to family) and negatives (taxes and cost of living, stuck up people in certain places). I am in my young 30s and married to a girl from a college town in Oregon. We are pretty laid back people who don't necessarily need the nicest things in life. We have bounced around a couple of cities (including Boston) for my training (in medicine) and I now have a great job offer to return to LI. I'm excited to return home, help the community and to be closer to family. The only drawback is that is is a little further out east than I am used to, with the locations being in Riverhead and Southampton. My wife is also in the medical field and would be looking at jobs with Stony Brook. For now there are no kids, but that will happen in the next few years and raising family in a good school district is a must.

I have have two questions:
First, what areas out east would be best for a young married couple without kids? We are looking to rent at first. We are used to walkable places and my wife would prefer to not give that up, at least in the short term. I've been looking at Patchogue and Port Jeff, which are kind of as far west as I can handle commute-wise. Patchogue has some nice luxury apartment places, although I wonder if it's an area more suited for people in their 20s.

Second, what areas out east are best for raising kids? We will eventually buy a home and want a good school district. I have been thinking of the Stony Brook / Port Jeff area, Wading River, Rocky point and even Sayvile on the South shore. I've also looked at the north fork areas live Mattituck, but would be worried that the kids would be missing out by being that far out (is that a valid concern?)

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 03:32 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Patchogue is a very lively town, but I wouldn't consider it a great place to raise kids. Personally, if I had to work in Riverhead and Southampton and my wife with SBU, I would strongly consider Westhampton Beach. It has a very walkable village, low-crime, Village Police Dept., and it's pretty much centered to SBU, Riverhead and Southampton. There's plenty of kid friendly stores and parks. The only thing I'm not sure about are the schools - but WHB is a fairly affluent area, so I would imagine the schools are good.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:44 PM

Great, thanks for the advice!

Old 12-23-2015, 11:16 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP83 View Post
I am originally from the South Shore (Massapequa) and am fully aware of the positives (beaches, schools, proximity to NYC and to family) and negatives (taxes and cost of living, stuck up people in certain places). I am in my young 30s and married to a girl from a college town in Oregon. We are pretty laid back people who don't necessarily need the nicest things in life. We have bounced around a couple of cities (including Boston) for my training (in medicine) and I now have a great job offer to return to LI. I'm excited to return home, help the community and to be closer to family. The only drawback is that is is a little further out east than I am used to, with the locations being in Riverhead and Southampton. My wife is also in the medical field and would be looking at jobs with Stony Brook. For now there are no kids, but that will happen in the next few years and raising family in a good school district is a must.

I have have two questions:
First, what areas out east would be best for a young married couple without kids? We are looking to rent at first. We are used to walkable places and my wife would prefer to not give that up, at least in the short term. I've been looking at Patchogue and Port Jeff, which are kind of as far west as I can handle commute-wise. Patchogue has some nice luxury apartment places, although I wonder if it's an area more suited for people in their 20s.

Second, what areas out east are best for raising kids? We will eventually buy a home and want a good school district. I have been thinking of the Stony Brook / Port Jeff area, Wading River, Rocky point and even Sayvile on the South shore. I've also looked at the north fork areas live Mattituck, but would be worried that the kids would be missing out by being that far out (is that a valid concern?)

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!
I'm from Bellmore, and I've been out here over a decade. I highly suggest the Three Village SD area(The Setaukets, Stony Brook, parts of St. James, parts of Lake Grove) for its proximity to shopping (especially if you're a Nassau person), proximity to the hospital, and school district. Very easy 1-7 mi ride to Port Jeff (depending on where you settle). Wading River is good, taxes can be very high. Rocky Point is good (again, less shopping for a Massapequa boy). Sayville is very good, and you have great shopping on Montauk in both directions. Mattituck is too far for my taste, only because you are limited with hospitals, and I like being near several. Honestly, the Southampton location for your job is going to be a killer. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Maybe look for a central town between SB and Southampton for now to rent?

Old 12-24-2015, 03:18 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
My preference mean nothing without knowing what you'll be doing when you're not at work. Do you sail, shoot, ski, swim, sew, sing, surf, sip wine or strum a guitar? There is a difference between what's available on the north shore and the south shore but you haven't said enough to help you find a place good for your wants and needs.

Stony Brook is opening new facilities on the east end every few months and just announced a full service cancer care center to be built in Southampton village. Is it possible you both might find work on the east end and end up doing a long commute because you bought too far west?

Kids on the north and south forks lack for nothing and have a lot more close to nature experiences available to them than just about any other place on Long Island so, no, there's no concern there.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am into some surfing and boating, but not necessarily enough to have to live on the water. I am more of a biker and a runner and my wife is into yoga. I do enjoy having a beach nearby though. My wife likes more walkable areas and neighborhoods (and wine), so we are actually also looking for an East End job to make that commute a little less killer. It just seems more likely that she would work at SBU given that its the big med center. Unfortunately, my job wouldn't be that flexible in terms of the locations, but I am willing to commute and have her near SBU in the Three village area if we have to. I personally would love a place like Sag Harbor, although if she doesn't get an East End job it may not be the best spot for us.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP83 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am into some surfing and boating, but not necessarily enough to have to live on the water. I am more of a biker and a runner and my wife is into yoga. I do enjoy having a beach nearby though. My wife likes more walkable areas and neighborhoods (and wine), so we are actually also looking for an East End job to make that commute a little less killer. It just seems more likely that she would work at SBU given that its the big med center. Unfortunately, my job wouldn't be that flexible in terms of the locations, but I am willing to commute and have her near SBU in the Three village area if we have to. I personally would love a place like Sag Harbor, although if she doesn't get an East End job it may not be the best spot for us.
Sag Harbor is a good choice. Westhampton Beach may be better located but is a dying village, it has changed so much in the past 15-20 years it's hard to even get a drink there most of the year. Most of the restaurants are gone or on a limited schedule.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Sag Harbor is a good choice. Westhampton Beach may be better located but is a dying village, it has changed so much in the past 15-20 years it's hard to even get a drink there most of the year. Most of the restaurants are gone or on a limited schedule.
wat. That's absolutely false.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
wat. That's absolutely false.

If anything I was not strong enough in my description. When's the last time you were in WHB, Trans?

Old 12-25-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If anything I was not strong enough in my description. When's the last time you were in WHB, Trans?
Yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island