Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 08:28 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ just more examples of debbie downers taking outlying extreme situations and applying it for all. Show of hands, who actually believes this stuff is the norm?

"Life is tough here" because this a major metro area. Nobody is entitled to be here and nobody ever said it was easy or perfect. Not surprisingly, neither are any of your paradises. The more I say this the more this feels like I'm trying to teach my kids life lessons. Get real is right.
This is the key, plain and simple. LI problems are common to any MAJOR metro area I can think of, especially the older ones. It simply comes down to a lot of money chasing a finite supply of housing and the fact that older municipalities are tasked with paying for the retirements of generations of retirees. In newer municipalities, you can still keep building to keep prices affordable and the legacy costs and impact of aging, neglected infrastructure haven't hit yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 08:34 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
This is the key, plain and simple. LI problems are common to any MAJOR metro area I can think of, especially the older ones. It simply comes down to a lot of money chasing a finite supply of housing and the fact that older municipalities are tasked with paying for the retirements of generations of retirees. In newer municipalities, you can still keep building to keep prices affordable and the legacy costs and impact of aging, neglected infrastructure haven't hit yet.
Long Island does have something that most other areas in the US don't have, and that's NYC's Financial sector combined with a high cost of living and people wanting to move to get a small patch of grass in a commutable distance.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:05 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Jersey, ha ha ha.

They do have lower energy costs and cheaper gasoline prices, but otherwise, it's a dog with a different set of fleas.
and mosquitoes

Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Everyone likes to play the extremes, but avoids the obvious that there is no longer any VALUE in raising an average/median family on LI.

Those who are saying "bye bye" see where it's headed and those determined to stay are blind to it - no argument that there will be an agreement to disagree. Hopefully it will continue to be a slow rot, so those hanging on still have time to cash out.
Right, because all those who left did so mainly because they realize the place is in decline. It couldn't have been for calm or their own financial hardship or a myriad of other reasons. Right, those who stay find no VALUE (as you mentioned) in staying close to family and having so much in close proximity, especially a place where they have strong roots. Cost is but just 1 factor among many others equally as important. Look up the word value.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 AM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
and mosquitoes
Oh, gosh, yes! Life is SO good without mosquitoes! It would have been worth moving just to get away from them!

Old 01-08-2016, 10:06 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Says the guy who allows his wife free reign. They certainly don't make men like they used to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
the **** is actually going on here? not sure what website you guys picked your wives from...
I don't give my wife free reign. What I meant is, if there is something that is important to her but unimportant to me, I'll let her have her way, but I'll be sure that we come to a mutual agreement and/or compromise on issues that are important to me.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Jersey is always fun to pick on I won't argue that but there are benefits to the location over LI. Jersey has extensive 55+ living options something NY lacks. Taxes are a bane throughout the tri-state area which is why they make the bottom of most lists for living, business, retirement etc. The poster feels the need to return to where their from / kids are I am curious how much anyone visited before the current medical emergency???? As I said PA has more than one county they can look at they also can look at Delaware which has extensive 55+ living options and low/no taxes.
Long Island has a lot of 55+ living options. One of the first threads I was ever involved in was about how there are many affordable options for 55+, but nothing for young families.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Right, because all those who left did so mainly because they realize the place is in decline. It couldn't have been for calm or their own financial hardship or a myriad of other reasons. Right, those who stay find no VALUE (as you mentioned) in staying close to family and having so much in close proximity, especially a place where they have strong roots. Cost is but just 1 factor among many others equally as important. Look up the word value.
Exactly! That is the point I keep trying to make. Not all of life is a mathematical equation.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Because LI is a virtual war zone right? Horrible crime everywhere because of a few news stories. Get real.

The median tax rate in Nassau county is just over 9k. Is that crazy high? Yes. No argument there. But stop with the exaggerating implying that the average LIer is paying 20k in taxes to live in Detroit when the majority are paying no where near that and LI is statistically very safe.
Again, that is because, for whatever reason, this board seems to be dominated by the people with high pay, high stress, long hour jobs in the city, living in "keeping up with the Jonses" type neighborhoods, who don't realize that it's not the only thing Long Island has to offer. I was surprised when I found this board to see how much people look down on Ronkonkoma, given that in my circles, Ronkonkoma is considered a respectable area.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:25 AM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
Cost and quality of life are the biggies. On LI, you have high cost and low quality of life. Generally speaking, in most other high-cost places, you also have high quality of life. There are many places which are low-cost, with high quality of life.

But when you are in a place like LI with a disproportionately high cost of living, and where the housing market is in a huge bubble, it IS even more important to take the future into account. I know several people who want to leave LI, but who can't, because "they can't sell their house" because they are upside down- and when the RE market takes a major dump, as it soon will- many people will be ruined, and lose virtually everything.

Lawn Guyland: A place where one can earn six figures, and still live paycheck to paycheck.

What's going to happen when that $480K bungalow is only worth $120K?
What's going to happen in a county where a single school district has a budget greater than the budgets of some entire countries- counties which are collecting among the highest property taxes IN THE WORLD, and are already partially practicing austerity, have their revenues cut by 75% as more business abandons the area or goes bust in an economy which is propped-up with baling wire and duct tape?

They [both local gov't and residents] have refused to heed the warning signs of the gradual decline that has already taken place- so it is obvious that they will just keep on doing what they've been doing until conditions become so dire that they are no longer able to.

[I was waiting for half the people here to slam me in regards to the post I made on Sunday 1/3/16 about our faltering economy- and i think the only reason that criticism never materialized, is because of what the stock market did on Monday 1/4/16!]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island