Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
I guess if he enjoys spending his days in an office and wearing suits, and having to live in that cesspool of a city or commute, he must be happier than a pig in doo-doo -but personally, I couldn't live that way. I would also not be able to sleep if I had to make my living participating in fractional-reserve banking. I prefer earning a living with my own hands in a natural environment, and making my own decisions.
He also enjoys 7-figure paycheques and all the privileges having so much money brings, including living in a townhouse in Brooklyn Heights or modern architectural home in Manhasset. Besides, there is that second 4-acre home in the Berkshires in case the "natural environment" comes calling. Lesson here is if you have what it takes to make enough money in NYC, you really don't notice the cesspool stuff. Good things naturally follow. If you are bothered by the cesspool stuff, it means you are not qualified to succeed in NYC and therefore it is time for you to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 10:28 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
If you are bothered by the cesspool stuff, it means you are not qualified to succeed in NYC and therefore it is time for you to leave.
There's more to it than that.
Not everyone can be 'at the top' it's just not statistically possible.

Not every place has such a disparity of income that creates a lower standard for the non-rich.
Compounded by NYC's disproportionate spending on the destitute, and you see what people are griping about here.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:38 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
I'll ask the bank's higher ups if they made it to managing director by "working on a computer from home a few hours per week".
Don't you realize that many people, including the poster you keep responding to, have no desire to live the lifestyle that you are living? Sure, they might not make it to "managing director" by "working on a computer from home a few hours per week", but the poster you keep responding to has no desire to be a "managing director". Why don't you understand that.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:40 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
He also enjoys 7-figure paycheques and all the privileges having so much money brings, including living in a townhouse in Brooklyn Heights or modern architectural home in Manhasset. Besides, there is that second 4-acre home in the Berkshires in case the "natural environment" comes calling. Lesson here is if you have what it takes to make enough money in NYC, you really don't notice the cesspool stuff. Good things naturally follow. If you are bothered by the cesspool stuff, it means you are not qualified to succeed in NYC and therefore it is time for you to leave.
What good is having all of that money if you don't have the time to enjoy it?

Old 01-17-2016, 12:03 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
if you have what it takes to make enough money in NYC, you really don't notice the cesspool stuff. .
This is true. Just spent a weekend with my best friend in the city, she's living a great life. But what a couple other posters have said is true
Statistically speaking, obviously not everyone can be at the top
What it costs to get and stay there is not for the faint of heart - it's taken many years for her to get to the point where she actually has time to enjoy the money she is making.
If you are spending it as fast as you can make it (and many of these people are) those good times can come to a hard and jarring end (Know several people this has happened to).

Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
You guys sound like you have a great idea for a TV sitcom. Oh wait, that was already on TV 50 years ago. RIP, Arnold the Pig.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:55 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
There's more to it than that.
Not everyone can be 'at the top' it's just not statistically possible.
Of course, NYC is a ruthless place. Did I not say that those who could not handle the environment get spit out? So that poster who went rural was one of those not-everyones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
What good is having all of that money if you don't have the time to enjoy it?
Take the 15 days (or more) qualified leaves. Our bank actually requires it.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:06 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Not impressed. I get to live in lush green hills without seeing any buildings when I look out my windows or go outside, and there's no need to insulate myself from the cesspool with tinted car windows nor by having to be so rich as to only live among other rich people, because I simply don't live in a cesspool. What good is the wealth if you have to live in a cesspool and it's only real value is to insulate one's self from the turds, taking a few days per year to enjoy your wealth in a nice place- whereas I can enjoy my environment 24/7 365 days a year on a 5-figure income and have the time to enjoy it?

I hope that the guy does enjoy his life and that he has no regrets on his death bed as to how he has spent his time- but unfortunately, many realize only after it is too late, that the only real value to their wealth, is in seeing numbers on paper and perhaps in impressing others who are impressed by such things.

That townhouse which seems so prestigious and desirable to some who don't have it, is just "a house" to those who do. Nothing magical about it. The same with an exotic car- after the novelty wears off (which is soon) it's just "your car", and like any other. The main appeal of it is to those who don't have one and who may think that to have it is somehow a life-changing transformational experience; and perhaps when you first get such a car for the first time, as we are conditioned to believe that such things represent "success". Does a $23K Rolex really make it's owner's life any better or fuller? -Or is it just that having it represents a certain paradigm to it's owner?

I remember back when I lived on the Island, I once had to do a rich friend a favor by driving his Mercedes home for him, from Sayville to Farmingville. Admittedly, fancy cars never held much allure for me to begin with, but, O-K, it was kind of cool that I'd be driving a Mercedes- if for no other reason than to just experience something new. Believe me, before I even got over to Nicholls Rd. I was thinking "It's just a car, like any other. He paid all that money for this?"

I believe that a lot of people seek wealth because they feel that they are missing something without it, and that having the symbols of "success' will somehow make their lives better- when in actuality it doesn't- and usually by concentrating so much on wealth, and spending so much time trying to achieve it, one often misses out on the truly finer things that life has to offer. (Of course, it works the other way, too- If one works in a factory and lives in a tenement, their life is going to be pretty stinko- but somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot, and the more you can do to put yourself in a nice environment and one in which you can live well for minimal cost, the lower the entrance is for that sweet spot.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
I work on a computer from my home a few hours per week, as my cows fertilize my pasture- no shoveling required.
I'd much rather have access in person to the greatest city in the world at my fingertips. Left NY few times & came back. Different strokes for different folks. To each their own. So much more to offer here on LI. No shoveling so far this year. Who cares that's part of living here. Most people that leave NEVER forget LI hence all the former LI'ers that come to the LI forum. Not just to argue/debate that it is better where they are/went.

But because they can't get LI out of their heads. Because truly deep down they MISS it here. I admitted it twice. Though the grass was greener. But always missed something about NY/LI area. So came back. Who know what the future holds. But country type of living. Nope. Even if close to major city. Like easy access. Not having to drive everywhere. Love taking LIRR into the city whenever I feel the need & just walk around as much as I want to. No public transit shortages in NYC that often. When a person relocates they really should think about THEIR future needs. If you more to a place then have the unfortunate normal getting older problems & can't drive. It gets very hard. No matter how much money you have. It will not matter. You lose all your dependency when you have to rely on others. Not just about being able to pay them.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:33 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I spent 59 1/2 wonderful years on LI and loved living there. DH and I decided the beach was what we wanted and to spend $800k for a 900 square foot home with 12k in taxes in Pt. Lookout was not something that interested us. I am not a Florida lover and we both have entire families on L.I. So in every way the De. Beaches made sense to us.

I spent over 20 years working in NYC so the city holds no magic for me, except at Christmas. We both enjoy the tree and the windows and St. Patrick's so it is always a trip into NYC when we come back for Christmas. Is LI for everyone? Certainly not, and no more than anywhere else is "the " perfect place for all. I have repeatedly said that I still love LI for what is was to me and what it still is to every member of both of our families, but I am now delighted to live where I do and I really don't miss LI.

I am not saying that there aren't things that we decide to miss, like a gathering of a group of friends for no reason, but a 4 hour trip and a hotel stay after just being there for Christmas is a decision that we now make a judgement call on. If we were still there we would no doubt attend but we have made a choice to move and after almost 3 years we are still thrilled with our choice.

There is no answer for all, for it is not a one size fits all question. People leave places for many reasons, some for a job, others for a relationship, others for financial reasons, etc. and those that are left on LI are there for any number of reasons, all personal to each of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island