U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 11:15 AM

883 posts, read 3,036,787 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:50 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,003,039 times
Not sure where you're going here, what are you looking for exactly?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Not sure where you're going here, what are you looking for exactly?
Not sure exactly...just looking for people's thoughts in general. Are they worth joining? Which are the nicest ones? Which are not-so-nice? What do initiation fees/ dues tend to run? Friends have suggested that if we move to LI, we should think about joining a country club for social aspects, golf, tennis, etc...we don't know a ton about LI & don't have a lot of friends there (yet).

This isn't something we've ever even thought about & really aren't that familiar w/ the clubs on LI. I'm not even sure if its within our budget...I'm guessing they may not be but (non-Long Island) friends have suggested we consider it if we move to the 'burbs (most of them are mid-western, by they way...I'm guessing the clubs they belong to are much cheaper than here).

People here tend to be knowledgeable on pretty much everything & have so many different perspectives, so I figured I'd ask an open-ended question & see what responses people come back with!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 13,964,660 times
I don't know about elsewhere on the Island, but here in Huntington/Centerport, most of the country & yacht clubs require that you be sponsored by a current member in order to join.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't know about elsewhere on the Island, but here in Huntington/Centerport, most of the country & yacht clubs require that you be sponsored by a current member in order to join.
Same at Stony Brook YC, St George's CC. I believe the golf club in Port Jeff is open to membership for residents of PJ only.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Oh, I had no idea. I wonder if its like that everywhere on LI?

Old 02-06-2008, 05:49 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,177,768 times
I was thinking St George's & PJ also....not exactly pocket change.
On the south shore there is Southward Ho, my Dad was a member for 30 years.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,003,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Oh, I had no idea. I wonder if its like that everywhere on LI?
It may not be everywhere, but I think a large % are like that. I guess it shouldn't be too tough, just get to know your neighbors, etc.

I will say that I think many private clubs are not cheap. They certainly vary from the totally insane to the mildly upsetting.

The couple of people I know that belong to clubs enjoy them quite a bit...it's a real family focal point. Most events (b-days, Christenings, weddings, etc.) are held at "the club." They don't have to be stuffy or snobby, either...some are just familial and fun.

You'd have to do some research. I would start by looking in the vicinity of whereever it is you plan on living.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:28 PM

572 posts, read 1,472,064 times
I used to work at some of these clubs. Pretty much all of them require that you are sponsored by another memeber. Some require more than one member. Pretty much a voting process, someone has to nominate you, someone else has to second it, etc.

Some of the "higher-end" clubs are pretty costly. Like $30,000 a year and up. I guess to some its worth it, I could never see the point..

You could probaly find the same "social aspects" in your own neighborhood... houses of worship (if applicable to you), things like that. I guess it's a matter of preference.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:08 PM

29 posts, read 153,454 times
in Nassau there are alot of very prestigious country clubs in the brookville, muttontown area there are the Crest Hollow CC and the Woodcrest club. also the Tam O'Shanter club and the Piping rock club are in Brookville , along with the Brookville and Muttontown CC's . In the great neck - pt.washington area there is the fresh meadows club in Lake Success which is very nicee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or