Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Town of Islip/MacArthur Airport won a $3 million dollar grant to move forward with this project.
See page 144:
[scribd]292969055[/scribd]
thanks for the link. interesting they are considering flights to Europe ! I thought it would only be Aruba, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, DR, etc.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 01-05-2016 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 04:33 PM

84 posts, read 147,642 times
No way MacArthur gets passenger flights from Europe. They can't even manage more than one major domestic airline as it is. It is probably going to be for Cargo flights only.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteevo View Post
No way MacArthur gets passenger flights from Europe. They can't even manage more than one major domestic airline as it is. It is probably going to be for Cargo flights only.
Why do you say that? Even during peak holiday times, ISP seems to run excellently across the board. Do you know how much of that airport is not being used, both inside and out?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 PM

84 posts, read 147,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Why do you say that? Even during peak holiday times, ISP seems to run excellently across the board. Do you know how much of that airport is not being used, both inside and out?
By manage I didn't mean the volume of air traffic. I meant the logistics of ticketing, security, and Customs in the terminal. If it was profitable to fly volumes of people in and out of ISP, multiple airlines would already be operating there. As it stands, Southwest is the only major operation. No way multiple international passenger airlines or terminal operations are going to be added there.
But, I could see it being used as an International Cargo Hub for Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:53 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Both projects would greatly improve life here.
Where would the entrance to the tunnel be located?
It would be located right by your house.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:59 PM

622 posts, read 853,114 times
Come on, this is Andy 'show me the money' Cuomo we're talking about. Like dad, he was all show, no go. Sounds like re-election posturing to me.

Yes, any one of the projects he mentioned are needed sorely by this neglected step son of NYS, Long Island. But with property taxes what they are now, can you imagine the increases if these projects were implemented? Sewers for Suffolk County, how much do you have in you bank account, because it'll be empty after this implemented. Given the unions and corruption here, it'll take about 50 years for most of these projects to come to fruition, so .... call me cynical.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 PM

384 posts, read 434,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
It would be located right by your house.
Great, it would cut out my traveling time and revitalize my area.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:50 PM

384 posts, read 434,782 times
Quote:
Come on, this is Andy 'show me the money' Cuomo we're talking about. Like dad, he was all show, no go. Sounds like re-election posturing to me.

Yes, any one of the projects he mentioned are needed sorely by this neglected step son of NYS, Long Island. But with property taxes what they are now, can you imagine the increases if these projects were implemented? Sewers for Suffolk County, how much do you have in you bank account, because it'll be empty after this implemented. Given the unions and corruption here, it'll take about 50 years for most of these projects to come to fruition, so .... call me cynical.
Sewers are highly overrated anyways...

Old 01-05-2016, 09:44 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
LIRR and tunnel construction will have no effect on property taxes since neither are funded by property taxes. what sort of tolls and train fare will be needed to support these improvements is a totally fair question, though.

Sewers seem like an improvement worth paying for, no? Unless you want to forfeit your right to complain about groundwater quality and brown tide. Money spent on water quality improvement is money well-spent and truly benefits everyone on Long Island, rich or poor, commuter or stay-at-home.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:

He has three years left in his term....

This is something LONG overdo, the fact it looks like we are actually going to seriously look into it is certainly a step in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island