Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
C- Offer more places for expansion with the uni and uni hospital with the addition of easy transport to/from the campus. how's a small convention center type thing sound on the grounds? host all sorts of events there instead of the city and bring in $$ from around the country.

To hear campus officials speak, there isn't room. They've built the Hilton on campus, and are squeezing in another dormitory project.

Spinning off your thought, the new president of the Long Island Convention and Visitors Bureau is calling for a new, large destination luxury resorts on LI. As someone whose hobby club has hosted regional meets on LI, I can tell you that there are few places which offer over 250 hotel rooms and large ballrooms/meeting rooms to accommodate the guests filling them, along with other recreational and entertainment diversions on property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 03:01 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
To hear campus officials speak, there isn't room. They've built the Hilton on campus, and are squeezing in another dormitory project.

Spinning off your thought, the new president of the Long Island Convention and Visitors Bureau is calling for a new, large destination luxury resorts on LI. As someone whose hobby club has hosted regional meets on LI, I can tell you that there are few places which offer over 250 hotel rooms and large ballrooms/meeting rooms to accommodate the guests filling them, along with other recreational and entertainment diversions on property.
I read that article and was thinking - what about the Marriott in Uniondale - it LOOKS like it has 250 rooms. Checked online - has 17 meeting rooms and a ballroom that can hold 1200. There are also two large hotels in the Melville area.
Dunno if this area can support a "convention center/resort" along with Javits and all the other options in NYC... plus these centers are usually placed in large cities . Where on LI would you put it ? doubtful if if could be in the Hamptons .. think of the NIMBYism plus try driving out there in summer ...
Usually when people go to convention type functions, they also want to spend a few days touring (think NYC, Las Vegas). I love this place as much as anyone but don't think it has the vibe to hold people for a couple of days. JMO.

Last edited by lifetimeliguy; 01-06-2016 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I read that article and was thinking - what about the Marriott in Uniondale - it LOOKS like it has 250 rooms. Checked online - has 17 meeting rooms and a ballroom that can hold 1200. There are also two large hotels in the Melville area.
Dunno if this area can support a "convention center/resort" along with Javits and all the other options in NYC... plus these centers are usually placed in large cities . Where on LI would you put it ? doubtful if if could be in the Hamptons .. think of the NIMBYism plus try driving out there in summer ...
Usually when people go to convention type functions, they also want to spend a few days touring (think NYC, Las Vegas). I love this place as much as anyone but don't think it has the vibe to hold people for a couple of days. JMO.
So true. Located where? Was the first thing that came to mind after reading the article.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 AM

345 posts, read 338,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Trust me the wealthy north shore folks started mobilizing against this before the print was dry in the newspaper article. They will fight it tooth and nail.
I wonder how much public opposition would be against building a tunnel under the entrance to Sunken Meadow State Park to Bridgeport ? The Sagtikos Pkwy already goes there and it's state land ...
I'm all for laissez-faire and all that, but when it comes to public works the state should be able to just send a big middle finger to those people. Sag to Bridgeport would be even better IMHO.

Quote:

Don't forget the two new hospital buildings too.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
Don't forget the two new hospital buildings too.

They are being built on the east campus, which is pretty much geared specifically to health and research. I referred to west campus -- I should have been more specific.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteevo View Post
By manage I didn't mean the volume of air traffic. I meant the logistics of ticketing, security, and Customs in the terminal. If it was profitable to fly volumes of people in and out of ISP, multiple airlines would already be operating there. As it stands, Southwest is the only major operation. No way multiple international passenger airlines or terminal operations are going to be added there.
But, I could see it being used as an International Cargo Hub for Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc.
This is precisely the plan. Cargo, freight, distribution, trucking.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:35 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
This is precisely the plan. Cargo, freight, distribution, trucking.
Customs would be needed for freight operations but the proposal is for establishing passenger based customs and immigration services. For those who don't believe there is a market for international flights to an airport an hour by rail from Manhattan, you're just not looking ahead.

Most here probably don't even know there is an international airport in Sanford Florida where passengers are bused to Orlando. There is scheduled service to six Canadian cities as well as South America, Central America and Puerto Rico. There is European scheduled service to Amsterdam and Brussels and charter service to Scotland, Portugal and five locations in England. If it can work in Sanford, Florida, why not Ronkonkoma, New York?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,699 times
Oh God. Not the tunnel again. Like others have mentioned, I don't think CT has any desire to cross over to Long Island. Would be cool I guess, but not really necessary for the disgusting amount of money it would cost.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:18 PM

481 posts, read 665,683 times
Quote:
So true. Located where? Was the first thing that came to mind after reading the article.
I thought about Long Beach. But then the facility might get flooded very easy.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:27 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteevo View Post
But, I could see it being used as an International Cargo Hub for Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc.
But would the freight carriers want to deal with the logistics of getting off the island to other destinations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island