Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Actually I don't know about that. I might have switched #1 & #2. From what I know, there is a bad section of RVC. I'm not sure of any bad sections of Oceanside (although there could be one, but that not I am aware of). I'm not exactly sure of where the bad section of RVC is, but there is one...so not all of it is nice.
there's a rough area just north of the King Kullen, although it's pretty isolated from the rest of the village. Regardless, even with this mini-ghetto, RVC is still a more desirable place to live than Oceanside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
"And why would you walk up to a bunch of teenagers allegedly smoking pot and tell them to quit it You either have a death wish, a lack of common sense, or a tough guy mentality. The smart thing to do would be to report it".[/quote]

LOL I never walked alone...I always had 16 buddies with me 1 in the chamber and 15 in the clip. I told you I'm a retired LT and beside I dealt with far more of the criminal element than a few kids smoking pot. After living there all those years and walking my dog ...you don't think I knew them and they knew me in a causal way Matter of fact if your walking by New Life Styles Barber shop you could tell Isaiah and Raphael and the rest of the boyz "Big Mike" says hello and remind them that that stuff kills brain cells

Yes you are right about the weather and taxes another reason why I left.
Funny how I lived there almost 20 years and grow up 5 minutes away for a total of 39 years in the area. What do you think I just went to work and home and didn't interact with people? Most people would know me as Big Mike or Mayor Mike. Buddy you have to remember I was there a lot longer then a few kids hanging out on Grand Ave, they didn't scare me. With 3 school age children and retired you get to know a lot of people like it or not. I've seen the changes over the last 6-7 years and if you think its for the better so be it......I on the other hand don't sorry to say

Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50
LOL I never walked alone...I always had 16 buddies with me 1 in the chamber and 15 in the clip. I told you I'm a retired LT and beside I dealt with far more of the criminal element than a few kids smoking pot. After living there all those years and walking my dog ...you don't think I knew them and they knew me in a causal way Matter of fact if your walking by New Life Styles Barber shop you could tell Isaiah and Raphael and the rest of the boyz "Big Mike" says hello and remind them that that stuff kills brain cells

Yes you are right about the weather and taxes another reason why I left.
Funny how I lived there almost 20 years and grow up 5 minutes away for a total of 39 years in the area. What do you think I just went to work and home and didn't interact with people? Most people would know me as Big Mike or Mayor Mike. Buddy you have to remember I was there a lot longer then a few kids hanging out on Grand Ave, they didn't scare me. With 3 school age children and retired you get to know a lot of people like it or not. I've seen the changes over the last 6-7 years and if you think its for the better so be it......I on the other hand don't sorry to say
First of all, I hate this thread....my posts in it are a broken record, and I'm already kicking myself for clicking "reply"...but anyway...

Kids hang out in front of stores smoking pot and trying to look tough in every town. I know this because I'm not that far removed from being a kid. Go swing by your local Dunkin Donuts parking lot in any super-white place....Wantagh, Commack, Massapequa, Sayville, Northport....wherever....and ask a 15-25 year old looking guy where you can buy a bag of pot.

Why is it so much more intimidating in Baldwin? Maybe you and I crossed paths, Mike....I worked at the pizzeria right next to the high school when I was in college, and even after that up until 2 years ago I'd come in sometimes and fill in on the weekends or at night. It was fun, I liked the town, liked the people....I know the exact type of kids you're talking about, and TRUST ME I saw some funny stuff being so close to the high school, as you will near any H.S....but never anything serious. The kids were exactly like kids anywhere else I've been on LI, and exactly like the kids I grew up going to school with in Levittown.

I'm 26 so I don't remember Baldwin "back in the day", but my own personal theory is that it was never really such a bucolic place....it seems like it's always had a few scars here and there....just that no one noticed until it got "darker".

I've posted the crime stats for Baldwin before, and the school stats many times. They are on par with other places in South Shore Nassau. If anybody wants, I can post them again...but they seem to really bother people, so I'd rather not! My own personal experiece is that it isn't in any way a dangerous place to live. It's got extremely nice neighborhoods, it's got some pretty dumpy looking neighborhoods. It's a very diverse area in all regards (not just race).

Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Sean,
I can agree with you! I look at it this way.....Like the other poster stated if you come from Bklyn say Bed-Stuy or Brownsville yes Baldwin looks like paradise. If you lived there or grow up there, believe me it and has changed and not for the better. I have nothing against the town, heck I bought my first home there and with the equity I was able to buy a second home. When I first got married (interracial couple) and we were looking for a home to start our family, Baldwin was perfect. Not only were we accepted it was probably the only town that was half decent that we could afford. Believe me it gave me a sense of pride not only owning a home but being a part of a communtiy. But over the years things started to change, subtle but changes nevertheless. Traffic, Taxes, empty store fronts, litter up and down Grand Ave, groups hanging out, braking into my car for loose change, stealing my son's bike, just to name a few. Yes all this could happen anywhere on the Island it just seems to be multiplying at a faster rate in Baldwin. Yes and this is my OPINION and yours might be different and I respect that. Quality of my life and that of my families were not going in the right direction, which could be said about anywhere on LI.
I want my kids to grow up like Li 40-50 years ago. I found that now too bad I'm 400 miles away from my family now.

Now I don't have to lock my front door or my car door, hell I don't even have to put the windows up and nothing will be taken not even the GPS. It's 1000% cleaner, no traffic, no crime and the people are wonderfull. I can't walk my dog 5 feet without people stopping me and saying hello, even the people I never met before. Everyone waves as you walk by and most will offer you a cold drink as you walk by their homes. There is nothing like southern hospitality Here there is that sense of pride, and the community welcomed us with open arms. School system is top notch also. Remember I use to live 6 houses away from Grand Ave. Just to give you an example here's picture from last week, the kids last day of school........

Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
^^ Where you located at?(Va) I know you mentioned it before but its slipping my mind.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,041 times
Wow..look at those houses. How much do they go for?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,931 times
I live in Baldwin now and yeah there are quite a lot of closed down stores especially on Grand ave but it's still just point blank not dangerous. Teenagers hang outside of stores in the suburbs because there's no where for someone under 18 to go in the suburbs without a car, not because they're going to mug you... I know from personal experience there's a lot more drugs in places where kids have the money to buy them.

When I was a kid I lived in the Sea Cliff/Glen Head area and I would definitely rather live in Baldwin no one wants to deal with horrific snobs.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
BigMike is right.

If you've grown up outside of LI, your expectations of a "good town" are much higher than someone who grew up in this area. Sure low crime is a factor, but quality of life involves so much more. It means clean air, well kept parks and public spaces, thriving business with lots to offer, good schools, friendly neighbors, lower cost of living, etc.

Let's face it..quality of life is dropping in many towns on LI. Baldwin is one example, but there are many others. Look at Glen Cove. This was a gorgeous town 25 years ago. Then, the local politicians allowed illegal immigration to overwhelm the town and its resources. Now, the main part of town is pretty much a dump.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Let's face it..quality of life is dropping in many towns on LI. Baldwin is one example, but there are many others. Look at Glen Cove. This was a gorgeous town 25 years ago. Then, the local politicians allowed illegal immigration to overwhelm the town and its resources. Now, the main part of town is pretty much a dump.

Baldwin is a hamlet and Glen Cove is a city.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,695 times
Walter...I know that.

However, the point of this thread wasn't to be a slave to geographical terminology. If it was, then I would have been more precise.

Nonetheless, now that you mention this, I think the zoning of Long Island is an absolute wreck and a farce. The division of Nassau and Suffolk county is an archaic, wasteful, inefficient dinosaur. It does nothing more than create an overflow of political and administrative bodies who have incredible overlap and are sustained by their self-serving greed.

From now on, I think I'll refer to everything as a "town".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island