Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:55 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
KFC: A few months ago I stopped in Baldwin to but a bottle of wine -- I was on my way to a party in Rockville Centre. It was still daylight out, but I was scared. There were gangbanger types around, giving lots of cold hard stares. My car is nice and I was afraid to leave it outside for the 5 minutes I was inside the liquor store. When I returned, the gangbanger types were milling about the car. I can tell you I never hit the locking mechanism so fast in my life, once I was inside the car! When I arrived at the party in RVC and chatted about my experience, my hosts and the other guests let it be known that I had been foolish to stop in Baldwin. Although they live only minutes away, they never set foot in that town. They said it is a dreadful place. For what it's worth, sometimes these "vignettes" or mini-events, as you might call them, tell volumes about a place. Even though your budget is lower than you originally posted, it's still a lot of money, presumably hard-earned and precious to you. it doesn't seem wise to invest in an area like that. Even with the lower budget, I think you can do better. Consider reducing the size of the house you want.
I really hope people don't take things they read on here too seriously, it's a shame this board exists sometimes. I can just picture what a blast that party must have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I really hope people don't take things they read on here too seriously, it's a shame this board exists sometimes. I can just picture what a blast that party must have been.
Actually, people need to take what they read on here very seriously and do their own research b/c our stories are real ones.

I too have a story to tell about simply driving through Baldwin one day, that really spoke volumes about it to me as well.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Although they live only minutes away, they never set foot in that town. They said it is a dreadful place. For what it's worth, sometimes these "vignettes" or mini-events, as you might call them, tell volumes about a place. Even though your budget is lower than you originally posted, it's still a lot of money, presumably hard-earned and precious to you. it doesn't seem wise to invest in an area like that.
I will tell my story...similar to yours. I was driving through one day, coming from a dr appt. Not only did I get looks when I went into the CVS (I was the only one not a minority) in broad daylight, but I saw the creepiest druggie looking transsexual or transvestite, coming out of a home there. 6'1, with a slinky black dress and the biggest red hair. This person was very scary, not just b/c it was a man who was dressed as a woman, but he/she appeared to be a crackhead/prostitute, and this was broad daylight as well. I got the creeps myself. My two "vignettes" were plenty enough for me to say I am never going there again if I don't need to. Just an overall creepy vibe...and it was the daytime, so not hard to figure out what night time must be like.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 02-06-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,419 times
Gee Glad, your story may be worse than mine. And no, I never would set foot in Baldwin again. I'm not from around there, but my RVC friends are, obviously, so I take their advice seriously, and they say STAY AWAY from Baldwin. After they chided me for stopping in Baldwin they had quite the laugh at my expense. And the party was a real bast, Sean, although much too upscale for you, I'm afraid. Can't wait to go back for the next one, although this time I'll have my navigation direct me on another route, away from Baldwin and the like.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Baldwin is not bad at all and the school system there is very underrated. It's bad reputation is totally unfair, although it does border some areas that aren't great (Hempstead, Roosevelt, Freeport) -- though aside from Roosevelt, even the parts that touch Baldwin are fairly nice. It did make the "Top 25 Greatest Places to Live" list last year, which I think is also ridiculous, but after that there seems to have been a lot of investment on the commercial side and a lot of homes fixed up and expanded. I think things are only looking up for the future.

If you like the house, I say go for it. Any worries are greatly exaggerated, although as others have mentioned for that price range you should be able to find something in a lot of the other places you listed.
I haven't been to Baldwin in a long time and have no reason to in the foreseeable future, so I can merely reflect on the past.

1) Early '80's: While in HS I dated a boy who lived near Silver? Lake park. 28 years ago that looked like a nice place.

2) FFWD to the mid '90's: the people who bought my parent's home in Massapequa were (by their admission) white flighters who wanted to remove their children from the area before they started school. I don't know what part of Baldwin they were from.

Seanx4 brings up some good points, some of the other posters brought up some not so good (and scary!) points.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Gee Glad, your story may be worse than mine. And no, I never would set foot in Baldwin again. I'm not from around there, but my RVC friends are, obviously, so I take their advice seriously, and they say STAY AWAY from Baldwin. After they chided me for stopping in Baldwin they had quite the laugh at my expense. And the party was a real bast, Sean, although much too upscale for you, I'm afraid. Can't wait to go back for the next one, although this time I'll have my navigation direct me on another route, away from Baldwin and the like.
Moderator cut: rude
I've got much worse stories about Baldwin and here I am extolling it's virtues, can you even imagine something worse than that? A transexual? How uncouth! Scandalous... Surely the Vanderbilts will have quite a "LOL" at that over some filet-mignon and Greycliffs on the schooner next weekend!

Last edited by Keeper; 02-07-2008 at 07:10 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
can you even imagine something worse than that? A transexual? How uncouth! Scandalous
It was a very creepy transsexual/transvestite, prostitute seeming, crackhead looking person. Certainly doesn't scream "Welcome home" to me...or ..."Hey! Invest 450,000 here". Truth be told.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM

265 posts, read 945,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
It was a very creepy transsexual/transvestite, prostitute seeming, crackhead looking person. Certainly doesn't scream "Welcome home" to me...or ..."Hey! Invest 450,000 here". Truth be told.
Ok. Weird people live everywhere. That doesn't make Baldwin a bad place to live. Baldwin is fine.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
It could, I'm not sure what tranny hookers scream??

Seriously though, that's an isolated incident...where in the world (outside of the East Village and the Philippines) are transexual hookers a common sight? I worked in Baldwin for 3 years, up and down Grand Avenue....I did see at least one hooker, but I've also seen hookers in Seaford and my own hometown of North Wantagh. I don't think that would scare you off from either of those places, would it?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It could, I'm not sure what tranny hookers scream??

I worked in Baldwin for 3 years, up and down Grand Avenue....I did see at least one hooker, but I've also seen hookers in Seaford and my own hometown of North Wantagh. I don't think that would scare you off from either of those places, would it?
What does a tranny hooker scream? Are you serious? It screams dreg neighborhood to me. You won't find any trannie hookers coming out of homes in the Wantagh Mandalay area I bet.

I have never seen hookers in ANY area of LI that is considered a "good area". And I am always traveling all over the island, throughout neighborhoods (day and night) so I am definitely not sheltered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island