Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBackAndHappy View Post
First I have to say kudos to the NCPD who do an excellent job patrolling the streets of Baldwin. While the community is changing demographically (what place isn't these days) I don't feel that it's as unsafe as you make it to be. Crime is still very low here. There has been a rash of robberies all over Long Island and it seems that this recession has made things worst. Hopefully things will get better when the economy improves. As far as Baldwin goes, there is talk of a new police precinct being built right on Grand ave in the Rosen shopping mall. The signs are up and I believe construction is to begin in the spring. This should make the community even safer in my opinion. I don't plan on moving anytime soon.
This just proves that even people that live there don't know what's going on The Precinct deal is the worse deal ever, second only to the Indians selling Manhattan for 24$

As far as the 1st pct. doing an excellent job patrolling the street of Baldwin.. My uncle did 37 years there, and two of my friends that I graduated the academy are still there. I'm not going to bash the place or another cop so ...lets just use the term Excellent very loosely... fair enough.

Before I left, I previous mentioned how I use to walk my dog around town. You can even look back on this thread and see for yourself. I brought up the kids hanging out on Grand Ave and I knew it was only a matter of time before they went bad (gun, robberies). I failed to mention that walking right down the block from my house I use see people pulling up and walking into what I thought was an abandoned building. It turns out it was one of those Chinese massage parlors. Many people said "no big deal" but when that stolen car sat there with its windows blown out it became one. I don't know anybody that would want that kind of place operating down the street from where they live.

See, when you move to a community like I did almost a year ago, you don't want what you call "up swings" "down turns" "changes". Since I moved the economy has gotten worse not better, I think we all could agree on that. I haven't seen any changes here as far as "gangbangers, robberies, graffiti, litter, abandon buildings, groups hanging out on corners,colors, etc,etc. I saw that in my old town not my new one, and yes I still walk the dog and don't see or hear of any of the above. People bad mouth Garden City but through the good times and the bad it remains one of the top towns in Nassau. No "up swings or down turns" there, kind of what I like and was looking for (minus the taxes lol)

Maybe you're too Laid back to know what's really going on around you, maybe ignorance, maybe not. See getting involved with town meetings,coaching PAL,soccer, baseball,basketball, walking the dog around town all gave me a truer prospective of the area, rather then reading about it in the local rag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Those rub-n-tug places really are everywhere, there have been 2 or 3 of them shut down in Wantagh over the last few years.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Another friend of mine just called me tonight and said that there has been 4 gunpoint robberies in Baldwin in just the last week Two where in front of the same bank 1 day apart. I heard that they rob the old ( Langes) liquor store at gun point again, that has to be at least 4 x's in the last 5 years. I bet the bank is less then 1/4 mile from the PCT. You could build 5 pct's for 100 million dollars it not going to help the "upswing" P.S. my friend works in the 1st ....... and loves the term "upswing"

Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggyn View Post
Mike you haven't lived in Baldwin in like what 7 or 8 years? Why do you keep posting here? You seem to really have something against this town. Go post in a Virginia thread where you claim to be so happy. For some reason you just keep coming back with your negativity, and gross exaggerations. Robberies happen all over Long Island. You seem to be blind or ignorant to that fact because your focus is always this town. I can post links of robberies that occur all over Long Island even in the best of towns. You need to focus on where you live now. I said it before and I'm going to say it again you moved because you couldn't afford to live here and now your bored out your mind and miserable in VA. That's your problem! You're officially a troll !!!
He's bored cuz he doesn't have a job. If I'm remembering correctly he is among the legion of ex-NYPD officers scamming disability payments, or something like that. If you search old posts you'll find him gloating about it somewhere. I'd say it must be nice to retire after working like 12 years but actually it's probably fairly emasculating.....if I was in that position I'd probably end up blabbering about gossip from my old town 800 miles away like some pilled up housewife too.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM

I left 10 months ago, feels like 7 years ago. Hey did they approve the Precinct deal? What an amazing deal that is for the tax payers Like 20 Mil in the sewer if Joe Scannell pulls that off, that would be one of the biggest scams LI ever seen. Hey when Isiah makes bail tell him "BIG MIKE says hello but tell him he's lucky he didn't stick that gun in my wife's or my kids face!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:25 PM

44 posts, read 102,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I left 10 months ago, feels like 7 years ago. Hey did they approve the Precinct deal? What an amazing deal that is for the tax payers Like 20 Mil in the sewer if Joe Scannell pulls that off, that would be one of the biggest scams LI ever seen. Hey when Isiah makes bail tell him "BIG MIKE says hello but tell him he's lucky he didn't stick that gun in my wife's or my kids face!
Yeah but I bet if you were still living here you would fight tooth and nail to have that Precinct built. Your such a damn hypocrite Officer Mike.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggyn View Post
Yeah but I bet if you were still living here you would fight tooth and nail to have that Precinct built. Your such a damn hypocrite Officer Mike.
Quite the Contrary! Anything that would raise taxes I would be against. You're already paying astronautical taxes as it is. I retired as a Lieutenant, been in 5 different Precincts. The location is not going to make a different( false sense of security) where they put it, trust me. The County should buy a building,renovate it and save Millions and Millions over the year, maybe try and save the tax payers some money in the long run but were talking about LI here so that's not going to happen. Like I said before I always carried when walking the town so at least my family and myself were protected.

I always love your answer "it happens all over the Island" Show me a link where 4 gunpoint robberies in one week. See accepting stuff like that just festers more. 10k in taxes and people accept this violence, doesn't make sense to me. One robbery is one robbery to much in my book.

Yes sometimes I do get bored. No punks to confront, no gun shots to deal with, nobody getting rob, nobody to chase away making graffiti, nobody breaking into my car, nobody stealing my kids bikes. I guess I'm bored tonight but in a good and safe way

Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM

44 posts, read 102,736 times
Quote:
Quite the Contrary! Anything that would raise taxes I would be against. You're already paying astronautical taxes as it is. I retired as a Lieutenant, been in 5 different Precincts. The location is not going to make a different( false sense of security) where they put it, trust me. The County should buy a building,renovate it and save Millions and Millions over the year, maybe try and save the tax payers some money in the long run but were talking about LI here so that's not going to happen. Like I said before I always carried when walking the town so at least my family and myself were protected.

I always love your answer "it happens all over the Island" Show me a link where 4 gunpoint robberies in one week. See accepting stuff like that just festers more. 10k in taxes and people accept this violence, doesn't make sense to me. One robbery is one robbery to much in my book.

Yes sometimes I do get bored. No punks to confront, no gun shots to deal with, nobody getting rob, nobody to chase away making graffiti, nobody breaking into my car, nobody stealing my kids bikes. I guess I'm bored tonight but in a good and safe way
See there you go again with your blatant exaggerations. Show me a link where 4 robberies happened in a weeks time in Baldwin? Show me a link where gun fire, murders, or car thefts took place in Baldwin. You can't. As usual your full of it. I went to the meeting the county had regarding the 1st Precinct, I had my doubts but after listening to the facts I was satisfied with their answers. A Precinct will make a difference in a community despite what you may think as long as you have cops that care and people in the community that care. I embrace the higher taxes if it mean more police in the area. That's what keeps the riff raff out. It's apparent your one of those that didn't care. Troll go away.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Reggyn,

Obviously we don't see eye to eye here. I'm ok with that,actually you seem like your getting involved and that's great. I respect you for that, to bad there isn't many many more like yourself.

I have a solution here, sounds strange but hear me out. Ranting back and forth like two teenage girls isn't going to settle anything here. I'll be back up that way in a couple of weeks visiting family and friends. I say lets get together over a beer or two if you drink, I'll bring my uncle, who just recently retired after doing 37 years there. I'll also have two active members of the 1st pct one cop(15 years there) and one Det.(10 years there) to join us. If you don't feel comfortable you could bring those new cops that just moved there. More the merrier this time of year We could have this discussion with people that have and still are working there, straight from the horse's mouth kind of thing. You tell these guys and my Uncle about this "up swing" and that area isn't changing, and this stuff hapends everywhere crap. Trust me this will be a very entertaining conversation. Tell them that QOL calls to the pct and radio runs aren't up(through the roof) in the last few years. Tell them things look good in the area

You convince them, I buy and make a public apologize and admit that you were right. I win you buy all the rounds

Btw the way all 4 robberies didn't hit the news but the two back too back did here's the link Robbers Strike at Baldwin ATM Twice in 2 Days | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Pm if you want to meet up

Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
astronautical taxes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island