Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 16,329 times

Advertisements

The area near Grand Ave and Merrick Rd is very seedy. I used to live there and I hated it.

I always take a cab home from the train station because I dislike walking down that part of Grand Ave.

I heard that the stores and apartment buildings across from the bowling alley will be torn down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:09 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria K View Post
The area near Grand Ave and Merrick Rd is very seedy. I used to live there and I hated it.

I always take a cab home from the train station because I dislike walking down that part of Grand Ave.

I heard that the stores and apartment buildings across from the bowling alley will be torn down.
Unfortunately, no businesses ever seemed to do well over there, not recently anyway. Didn't help that the landlords of those properties have been letting them go to get the tenants out and sell to whatever gigantic store is going to be built (Target or Wal-Mart I heard?) I don't know why they had that one specific area in mind, but it's pretty much entirely vacant now and soon to be demolished. There are some really nice old yellow brick buildings along that strip that have been neglected for years, shame nothing worked out.

It seems like everything in Baldwin is getting torn down lately, I'm sure everything around Church St and Milburn will bite the dust soon too.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Also, that section of Grand Avenue was used in a pilot for a CBS show that never aired a few years ago called "Babylon Fields". The show was actually supposed to take place in the real life Babylon, NY but was filmed all over Baldwin, Uniondale, Roosevelt and West Hempstead. Weird show but cool to see all the local stuff, the opening scene is at the old Milburn Pumping Station.

You can watch the whole thing for free on Google Video:

Babylon Fields - Pilot

Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Default Harbor versus Grand avenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
sean sean sean, you make me laugh

I grew up in Baldwin, and went to the High School. My parents still live there...on the water. Growing up on the water is like no other experience. You have a neighborhood in the front of your house...but behind you is access to a vast and amazing other world...where people wave as you pass them...everyone smiles........ Baldwin happens to be one of those towns with affordable waterfront. Not to mention some very nice neighborhoods with lots of people who have stayed in this community their whole lives --which to me, is a telltale sign that a town is special. I still get the quarterly nexus newspaper from BHS and I still see the same old faces and get to read up on how everyone is doing.....if people moved away from the area, their families have remained.

Baldwin, just another beautiful town on Long Island
I think it is fair to say Gigi that your waterfront upbringing might contrast a good deal with the Grand Avenue areas others have referenced present day. Maybe what would be more fair is if others would reference their particular dislike for a particular "section" of a town, much like the Baldwin Harbor "section" does not necessarily mean the entire area is another "beautiful" long island town.....

Old 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Baldwin Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I think it is fair to say Gigi that your waterfront upbringing might contrast a good deal with the Grand Avenue areas others have referenced present day. Maybe what would be more fair is if others would reference their particular dislike for a particular "section" of a town, much like the Baldwin Harbor "section" does not necessarily mean the entire area is another "beautiful" long island town....;).

Except that Baldwin Harbor is no longer part of Baldwin:

Concomitant with the 1990 Federal census, the area south of the median of Atlantic Avenue was separated from the Hamlet of Baldwin and became the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor.

For those who may not be familiar with Baldwin Harbor:

Originally called Coe's Neck, Baldwin Harbor is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the southern part of the Town of Hempstead, in the center-south part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Baldwin and the Village of Freeport; on the east by the Village of Freeport, Baldwin Bay and Middle Bay; on the south by the East Channel; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Oceanside.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Baldwin-harbor-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Baldwin Harbor is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" and "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 04-24-2008, 08:04 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,748 times
Quote:
I think it is fair to say Gigi that your waterfront upbringing might contrast a good deal with the Grand Avenue areas others have referenced present day. Maybe what would be more fair is if others would reference their particular dislike for a particular "section" of a town, much like the Baldwin Harbor "section" does not necessarily mean the entire area is another "beautiful" long island town.....
Didn't grow up in Baldwin Harbor...grew up 1 block from Merrick road and Grand Avenue that everyone is talking about as being bad. There is a canal there. West End Avenue. My parents still live there. Thank you for assuming.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
Didn't grow up in Baldwin Harbor...grew up 1 block from Merrick road and Grand Avenue that everyone is talking about as being bad. There is a canal there. West End Avenue. My parents still live there. Thank you for assuming.
My apologies. Sincerely. But do you disagree that the areas that others have referenced as less than stellar are as nice as they were during your upbringing. Asking in all sincerity, not trying to be sarcastic.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,748 times
Quote:
My apologies. Sincerely. But do you disagree that the areas that others have referenced as less than stellar are as nice as they were during your upbringing. Asking in all sincerity, not trying to be sarcastic.

It has greatly changed since my childhood...but so has almost everywhere else. Unfortunately when you google Baldwin now you get this thread which is a giant put-down of a town. It's insulting to those who own homes there and who are working hard to make changes. The Baldwin Chamber of Commerce is going to be revitalizing the storefronts along that area of Grand Avenue and getting rid of the apartments above the stores which probably accounts for a lot of the "element". Of course there was a big protest about not having any affordable apartments when that is done....liberal is as liberal does.

Anyway, ripping places apart doesn't make anything better...it only denegrates it. Not my style. I like to see the good in everything. Sorry, but it's my nature. Anyway --I feel for the people who own homes in the towns that are ripped apart daily in here. I've expressed that many times. I wrote an article about it.

Here is some good in the bad for Baldwin MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Baldwin, NY snapshot

Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM

6 posts, read 28,839 times
Baldwin Harbor is still very nice....

Old 04-28-2008, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,515 times
I would just like everyone to know Baldwin is like heaven compared to where I am. I lived in Baldwin and moved to PA & there is nothing here. Just drugs and alcohol without any jobs. Everyone who lives in Baldwin or Nassau County should be so happy. I wish I could go back so bad but now I cant afford it. I would have to save every penny for the next 10 years for a down payment on a house nevermind the taxes...and I have a very good job for the area I live in....Just be happy you arent here!
All of you make me so jealous!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island