Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 05:28 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,187,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Uber still costs on average much more than the bus. Most bus riders cannot afford it. Basically its the poor getting forced off LI. They want to make it so miserable they will just leave. But I dont think the illegals are going anywhere, they will just drive around unlicensed cars, and they just get a slap on the wrist when they are stopped by the police and are back driving the next day.
As long as they keep getting hired, they'll find a way to work.
The people who are screwed the most are the lower income US citizens. Once the bus is gone, many won't be able to get to work, and lose their jobs. And it will wind up costing Nassau more when they go on welfare,
That seems to be the pattern of things to come for many years. Uber is great for what at least I use it for when compared to calling local cab. I price it out 1st every single time. I had hatred for Uber as well. Just to go from my place to LIRR is same price fro private cab & Uber. Thing is with the private cab they ALWAYS stop & pick up other people before taking me to place I want to go locally. Especially troublesome when trying to make a train or appt. Not to mention to unreliable wait time for them to even get here. As for Uber they are here in 5 min. Take me DIRECTLY to place I asked them too. No stops! Otherwise only other option if no car or can't drive around here is walk. Not short walk. Price has always been the same. Makes these private cabs have to step up their game if they want to get the business back from people that left. And also the Uber cars are so much cleaner & nicer & don't feel like they are going to break down like the cabs did.

The poor & even middle class have been pushed off NY/LI for many,many years. Many illegals have been linked to so many crimes past few days alone. Heard about the guy that was followed back from the McDonalds to that hotel in Westbury. They need to deport these people for ANY crime. Otherwise there is zero chance of anything ever standing a chance of getting better. Even if whats his name got elected don't see a big change coming. Either way he is not likely to help to poor much at all. Might even get worse for the poor & middle class. If we all could only predict the future. We can only debate it. But we really never know.The public transit problems will hurt the poor that rely it to get to work. Those people will find it hard to bother making it worth going to their low wage..only few hour a day jobs. These companies need to give these workers more hours per day. Instead of 5-6 days week with 4 hours day. To keep them P/T the workers more hours & less days. Keep them PT (that will not change) but make it more affordable to get to work. Less trips to work..saved transit costs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:07 AM
BTI BTI started this thread

33 posts, read 67,479 times
Well, that's it then. All 11 routes are officially gone: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ker-1.11330863

At least an increase in state funding means there aren't any more "planned" cuts this year, but NICE has surprised us many times before. Needless to say, the system won't feel the same on Monday.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:17 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,935,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTI View Post
Well, that's it then. All 11 routes are officially gone: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...ker-1.11330863

At least an increase in state funding means there aren't any more "planned" cuts this year, but NICE has surprised us many times before. Needless to say, the system won't feel the same on Monday.
Those routes performed very badly I live in brooklyn and had a bus to myself on those routes that is BAD.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM

94 posts, read 130,510 times
Last Tuesday, I visited Sunrise Mall via LIRR from Jamaica-Freeport, n19, S20.
Since there was hour gap between n19 and S20 bus, I had lunch break and there was less shoppers after elimination of n80/81 bus.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,935,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousNYLover View Post
Last Tuesday, I visited Sunrise Mall via LIRR from Jamaica-Freeport, n19, S20.
Since there was hour gap between n19 and S20 bus, I had lunch break and there was less shoppers after elimination of n80/81 bus.
Moderator cut: comment removed Most of those N80/81 trips were EMPTY. However the areas served by N80 should have been swapped to other routes.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-29-2016 at 07:55 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 07:46 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,294,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
! Most of those N80/81 trips were EMPTY. However the areas served by N80 should have been swapped to other routes.
Sunrise Mall has been struggling for awhile, especially since Walmart left. Westfield said the mall would be renovated, but more & more stores are closing, and even the food court isn't doing well.
Considering all the money along the South Shore in Nassau, it is surprising that the mall can't seem to woo upscale retailers.
The same can be said about Green Acres (plenty of $$ in RVC, 5 Towns), however, Green Acres has had alot more investment from it's owner, Macerich, and seems to be doing well, despite it's reputation.
Sunrise could very well wind up being LI's next dead mall. Sears and Macy's are struggling and their stores at Sunrise are underperforming I bet, and if they close those stores, Sunrise will probably be LI's version of Rolling Acres. That Macy's is all original, and never appears to have been remodeled.
I would bet hardly anyone in Massapequa even shops at Sunrise, seems most of the mall's patrons come from Amityville & vicinity.
Most Nassau folks go to Roosevelt Field. As far as eastern Nassau they probably go to Broadway Mall (which has remodeled and actually appears to be holding its own quite well), and the rest go to Roosevelt Field. Syosset & Woodbury areas probably go to Walt Whitman.
Not sure what can be done with Sunrise at this point. If the mall continues to go downhill, NICE may wind up not serving the mall anymore and have the n54/55 go straight to Amityville, and have the n71 go down 110 to Amityville.
SCT could also end their routes in Amityville as well, the train station is a more convienient transfer point.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-29-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 08:11 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,885,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Sunrise Mall has been struggling for awhile, especially since Walmart left. Westfield said the mall would be renovated, but more & more stores are closing, and even the food court isn't doing well.
Considering all the money along the South Shore in Nassau, it is surprising that the mall can't seem to woo upscale retailers.
The same can be said about Green Acres (plenty of $$ in RVC, 5 Towns), however, Green Acres has had alot more investment from it's owner, Macerich, and seems to be doing well, despite it's reputation.
Sunrise could very well wind up being LI's next dead mall. Sears and Macy's are struggling and their stores at Sunrise are underperforming I bet, and if they close those stores, Sunrise will probably be LI's version of Rolling Acres. That Macy's is all original, and never appears to have been remodeled.
I would bet hardly anyone in Massapequa even shops at Sunrise, seems most of the mall's patrons come from Amityville & vicinity.
Most Nassau folks go to Roosevelt Field. As far as eastern Nassau they probably go to Broadway Mall (which has remodeled and actually appears to be holding its own quite well), and the rest go to Roosevelt Field. Syosset & Woodbury areas probably go to Walt Whitman.
Not sure what can be done with Sunrise at this point. If the mall continues to go downhill, NICE may wind up not serving the mall anymore and have the n54/55 go straight to Amityville, and have the n71 go down 110 to Amityville.
SCT could also end their routes in Amityville as well, the train station is a more convienient transfer point.
I agree that the Sunrise Mall is definitely struggling with Walmart being gone. Sears is OBVIOUSLY on the brink of shutting down since the store is always empty, the company is having well-publicized issues and their big yucky outdoor sign is on the brink of falling off of the building lol. Couple that with more and more people preferring online shopping every year and this mall is doomed!

And what makes you assume that few Massapequa residents dont shop at the mall? Most are ordinary average joes and there are still establishments there like Hollister, Hot Topic, Macys, Pacific Sunwear, Zumies, Starbucks and X-Sport Fitness.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-28-2016 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,294,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
And what makes you assume that few Massapequa residents dont shop at the mall? Most are ordinary average joes and there are still establishments there like Hollister, Hot Topic, Macys, Pacific Sunwear, Zumies, Starbucks and X-Sport Fitness.
Because there is still a good amount of disposable income in Massapequa that should be supporting the mall, but the mall is still struggling.
Its not like there's that much competition, it's problems with mall management. Westfield bought the mall but never really did much with it. They put alot more money into South Shore (which is a nicer mall, despite the lower incomes of the surrounding area).
I remember when that Sears was Gertz, then Stern's. Then when A&S went out of business, Stern's moved into that spot, and Sears moved from their store on the other side of Sunrise into the mall. It actually was a decent store, but Sears is just going downhill everywhere. I expect them all to go out of business.
When Stern's went out of business, it was turned into the Walmart. This was a huge mistake.
Mall management should have gotten an upscale retailer in that place, such as Lord & Taylor, or Bloomingdales. Walmart does not, and never belonged in an enclosed mall.
Instead Walmart moved in, brought more problems to the mall, and even more when they left. This was always a messy, disorderly Walmart. I believe Westfield bought the mall around the time Walmart was planning on leasing that space.
Sunrise is a low-end mall. These kinds of malls do not survive.
You need to either have upscale or unique stores. Sunrise Mall just doesn't stand out anymore.
It's a shame, have so many fond childhood memories of the place.
I really do hope it can be turned around.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:21 AM

Since it seems this bus thread turned into a mall thread. I will add this Sunrise Mall has gone downhill for many years.

Most malls have it is not just Sunrise Mall. Most people these days do a majority of shopping online & have for years. People that did not shop online at all even 2 years ago are all shopping online these days now as well. Brick & Mortar stores have been disappearing more & more as the years go by. Up until a few years ago I NEVER did any online shopping. Now just about all the shopping I do is online. There are exceptions of course.

Heck I refuse to go to Walmart. But I love (thought was discontinued all these yrs) the White Cloud 3-ply toilet paper. Found out recently that it was never discontinued. But Walmart has exclusive rights to it & is the ONLY store that sells it. So I buy it buy the case online as needed. To each their own in that case. LOL

Old 01-29-2016, 01:32 AM

Maybe Wegmans will pick up property there by the Sunrise Mall. I know they are opening in Brooklyn Navy Yard soon. Once they open there they will expand fast to LI I bet. Like Stew Leonards is now. They opened just opened the Farmingdale location & announced today they are already opening a 2nd location where the Pathmark in East Meadow was. Now that Pathmark closed way before they ALL closed recently. That one closed a little more than 2 years ago. Been empty eyesore ever since. Both companies are now looking to quickly get into the LI market now that Waldbaums & Pathmark are gone.

PS I did contact a friend that has worked at Wegmans up in Buffalo area for years. She is contacting their Real Estate Dept. about this. She did find out that they in fact are planning to infiltrate the LI market very quickly soon. Her son in law works for their Real Estate scouting dept. & says they have him scouting LI like crazy right now. So Wegmans is coming. But they like Stew Leonards are going to be very picky about locations. They have to hold the square footage they desire & the parking. They like to have good central locations near major highways. They look at the population/demographics & location where they know people will spend the $$ now & in the future. FYI the one thing he did add ( I asked too) is they don't care about access to public transit much because those people don't buy wagons full of stuff & spend lots of $$. Since they would be limited to how much they purchase with each trip. They want people to fill their carts & cars every time. Makes good business sense I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island