Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,107 times

Advertisements

I have lived on Long Island for years and am considering buying a house in South Huntington. Was hoping to get some feedback on the following:

School district (my research has yielded a mixed review)
Crime and desirability of neighborhood
Is area being invested in with new home construction

I guess the long and the short of it is that I am hoping to hear about all those things that factor into potentially purchasing a home.
We have two young children and plan on keeping the house for the long term.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 01:14 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,523,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatchris View Post
I have lived on Long Island for years and am considering buying a house in South Huntington. Was hoping to get some feedback on the following:

School district (my research has yielded a mixed review)
Crime and desirability of neighborhood
Is area being invested in with new home construction

I guess the long and the short of it is that I am hoping to hear about all those things that factor into potentially purchasing a home.
We have two young children and plan on keeping the house for the long term.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
I think it's a fine area. Big variety of housing; diverse schools (they are not bad at all and they're stable- Like Huntington proper, it's been a diverse district for a VERY long time); great shopping and convenience to parkways. Lacks the charm of Huntington village, but that's just a stone's throw away. I think South Huntington is "built-out", though, so I'd be surprised if there's a ton of new construction. But what currently exists runs the gamut from small homes/small plots, to neighborhoods indistinguishable from Melville and Dix Hills. Having Walt Whitman Mall in the school district has got to have a positive effect on property taxes, too.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:30 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,398,182 times
Depending on where you buy the district elementaries are divided into two sections. Oakwood/Birchwood and Countrywood/Maplewood.

You may want to investigate where you'd prefer as OW/BW is much more "diverse" than CW/MW. Nice homes off Maplewood Rd.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 18,838 times
I think most of South Huntington is okay. I've always kind of lumped it in with Melville and Dix Hills, to be honest. Doesn't really stand out or have anything distinguishable. A nice area either way, and you're not too far from Huntington Village/downtown.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:29 PM

4,989 posts, read 3,891,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I think it's a fine area. Big variety of housing; diverse schools (they are not bad at all and they're stable- Like Huntington proper, it's been a diverse district for a VERY long time); great shopping and convenience to parkways. Lacks the charm of Huntington village, but that's just a stone's throw away. I think South Huntington is "built-out", though, so I'd be surprised if there's a ton of new construction. But what currently exists runs the gamut from small homes/small plots, to neighborhoods indistinguishable from Melville and Dix Hills. Having Walt Whitman Mall in the school district has got to have a positive effect on property taxes, too.
The district is now about 50% White and 50% Black and Hispanic with a 40% economically disadvantaged (free/reduced lunch) rate. I am not sure if this demographic snapshot is changing or if the Hispanic population has been increasing fairly rapidly.

To be honest there are sections bordering/in Huntington Station north of Jericho Turnpike I would steer of within the South Huntington district (even the briefest research reveals that particular issue).

Finally (and somewhat off the topic), I fail to see any charm at all in Huntington Village (I am there about five days a week) between the double-parked cars, garish signage, crawling traffic on 25A and 110, and unsightly architecture. I guess that is a matter of opinion (like so much in life). There are some popular restaurants although relatively little shopping seems to take place (and storefronts open and close with great regularity). I would agree it is more charming than either Huntington Station or the stores along Jericho Turnpike and 110 in the South Huntington area.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-12-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-12-2016, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 18,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The district is now about 50% White and 50% Black and Hispanic with a 40% economically disadvantaged (free/reduced lunch) rate. I am not sure if this demographic snapshot is changing or if the Hispanic population has been increasing fairly rapidly.

To be honest there are sections bordering/in Huntington Station north of Jericho Turnpike I would steer of within the South Huntington district (even the briefest research reveals that particular issue).

Finally (and somewhat off the topic), I fail to see any charm at all in Huntington Village (I am there about five days a week) between the double-parked cars, garish signage, crawling traffic on 25A and 110, and unsightly architecture. I guess that is a matter of opinion (like so much in life). There are some popular restaurants although relatively little shopping seems to take place (and storefronts open and close with great regularity). I would agree it is more charming than either Huntington Station or the stores along Jericho Turnpike and 110 in the South Huntington area.
This is a strange view of what is often considered one of the nicest/most lively villages on the island. It obviously has its problems: but I'd rather live in an area with a walkable downtown than a boring strip mall town. Towns that don't have this all look the same to me.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Huntington "Village" is not charming but it's way more vibrant than the downtowns of almost every other town, village, hamlet on Long Island. It was great growing up there. Can't speak to now, but I agree that I'd rather live there than strip mall heaven.

And most of South Huntington is fine.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:54 PM

4,989 posts, read 3,891,564 times
QC: "Finally (and somewhat off the topic), I fail to see any charm at all in Huntington Village (I am there about five days a week) between the double-parked cars, garish signage, crawling traffic on 25A and 110, and unsightly architecture. I guess that is a matter of opinion (like so much in life). There are some popular restaurants although relatively little shopping seems to take place (and storefronts open and close with great regularity). I would agree it is more charming than either Huntington Station or the stores along Jericho Turnpike and 110 in the South Huntington area."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofarfetchd View Post
This is a strange view of what is often considered one of the nicest/most lively villages on the island. It obviously has its problems: but I'd rather live in an area with a walkable downtown than a boring strip mall town. Towns that don't have this all look the same to me.
Have you looked at the buildings/cars/wires/signs/storefronts/stoplights/etc. as you drive from Rite Aid East thru to the Y on 25A (AKA Main Street)? I do this daily.

Not "strange" at all to find this not charming.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:00 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,398,182 times
As one who worked near Huntington Village since 1979 I can say "the charm" is long gone. It has nice restaurants and that's all. The shops are trendy BS places that cater to a few residents north of 25A, drug stores, coffee shop and offices. The good old book stores are gone except one. The days of Hamburger Choo Choo are only memories.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:02 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,523,133 times
I grew up in the area. I generally did, and still do, find Huntington village around 25A and New York Ave. relatively charming. I think the buildings are generally attractive. Traffic is to be expected in a downtown area. And yea, it beats the hell out of most other downtowns on Long Island. And it has a nice mix of things to do, ranging from the Book Revue, the Paramount, bars and restaurants, the movie theater, Heckscher Park and Museum, the Y and Cinema Arts.

It's one of the best parts of Long Island, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island