Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 09:48 AM

34 posts, read 38,480 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into getting my oak cabinets painted white. Has anyone done this themselves or hired someone to do it. How much were you charged and how did they come out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 12:50 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
I did it myself.

The only reason I wound up painting them is because when I stripped them.....they were made from different species of oak which had been stained and sealed with an extremely dark tone which I hated.

That and........they were over 125 years old.......old growth oak. Everything handmade solid oak.

It was very time consuming, messy and not that inexpensive doing it myself. I used all professional grade products which weren't cheap.

If it were run of the mill 20th century oak.....I would have just replaced the cabinets with something I liked and called it a day.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:11 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,484 times
You absolutely can do this but as previous poster says....it's very time consuming. I did it about ten years ago as a winter hobby. Take off a door and bring it to a Benjamin Moore store and explain what you want to do. If you no longer want to see the grain of the wood be prepared for even more time prepping doors and exterior framing of cabinets. Do not be cheap on brushes. An expensive brush is worth it. You can cut corners by using trim rollers or minis on the inside but a good brush looks the best on exteriors. Fyi....five years later the wife wanted a new kitchen. Bang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island