Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:22 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,324,814 times

Advertisements

These figures are why acting as your own GC and using no licensed labor except in the shower/tub area makes sense and saves a fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 AM

300 posts, read 552,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
These figures are why acting as your own GC and using no licensed labor except in the shower/tub area makes sense and saves a fortune.
That totally is your choice and I understand. You are correct, that it is a lot of money to spend on place that you sh%t and wash up. Seriously, you could buy a car for that price.

Professionals just don't like when people say they are over priced because in short, it is the system that we live in that makes everything over priced. They aren't just bankrolling all of this money that people think they are.

I like I said... A single egg cost 50 cents, a slice of cheese is 15 cents and a bread roll is 50 cents.. Yet, go to your local deli and they will sell you an egg sandwich for $4. Just the world we live in...

Old 01-29-2016, 12:18 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Can I just ask how much I can save by doing the demolition myself, and buying all the fixtures and having them delivered?
I would need someone to install the drywall, fixtures, tiling, plumbing and electric.

Thx

Old 01-29-2016, 12:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Can I just ask how much I can save by doing the demolition myself, and buying all the fixtures and having them delivered?
I would need someone to install the drywall, fixtures, tiling, plumbing and electric.

Thx
^ that's what the quotes mostly are for... "labor only". Demo will save you a few hundred to $1k at most. Call a handyman and you can get a 7x5 bath done for ~$5k, labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Professionals just don't like when people say they are over priced because in short, it is the system that we live in that makes everything over priced. They aren't just bankrolling all of this money that people think they are.
This kind of response is a lot better than the kinds that were being thrown out by contractors in the other thread. At least there's a lot of detail and truth this time.

In short, your pocket will take a beating if you call big companies for a small job. Smaller guys will have less to overcharge for. I called Alure too for the small job - they had a dedicated sales team making appointments and someone else was going to get back to me about general questions. That was the first sign of things to come.

The more people understand about how it works, the less of people's time will be wasted, contractors included.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-29-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 12:49 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

Thx
If you go back and read DesignBuild breakdown again. the 10-12K doesn't include fixtures. So you're not saving anything there. Demo'ing a bathroom is barely half a day's work and the dumpster will cost about $250. So you'd save $500 probably. You'd be surprised how much comes out of a small bathroom when you're taking it down to the studs

Old 01-29-2016, 01:01 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJS Alex View Post

So that $162/hr figure mentioned above is just ridiculous. If you count up all the overhead and include the unpaid hours spent throughout the year, a contractor would be lucky to gross $100K/yr doing only $12K bathrooms. After taxes, it wouldnt be worth the headaches to actually be in business for oneself. It would be easier to get a job, do your 9-5, and go home to peace and quiet until the next morning.
50 weeks of 12K bathroom jobs = $600,000

If a contractor brings in revenue of 600,000 and profits only 100,000. That means there's 500,000 in overhead?

The standard prices in LI is what it is. Whether or not it is worth it depends on the guys spending the money. But when I hear someone only makes 2K on a 12K remodel, I just don't believe it.

There's nothing wrong with making money. I charge $125-175/hr to fix computers for companies. And I keep a huge percentage of it. That's why people at home rather call their nephews to clean their virus.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:28 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I used Allure and they provided the dumpster. My bathroom is slightly bigger than the OP and It cost me $16,000 7 years ago, plus it's one stop shopping at their showroom. Bathroom was done in 4 1/2 days. We did used Moen and Kholer fixtures and a stone countertop. I was very happy.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
I charge $125-175/hr to fix computers for companies. And I keep a huge percentage of it. That's why people at home rather call their nephews to clean their virus.
And this is why companies should lock down their PCs no matter how "knowledgeable" their users are. That includes keeping a whitelist of non-work-related sites. Privileged users = trouble.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,639 times
Bottom line, as I learned since I started looking into this last summer, is that anything requiring professionals is going to be EXPENSIVE. If things come up during the job that add to the work, it will be MORE expensive. If you buy cheap materials and fixtures, you may wind up with leaks, which will be expensive. If you buy better quality products to avoid leaks and look better, it will be expensive. So, unless you can do all or most of the work yourself, it will be expensive. The only way to put the cost in perspective is to consider what it costs to build a home, and where most of the money goes. Plumbing, fixtures, cabinetry, tile, granite (or other stones) are what cost the most. Most homes don't have an expensive hallway or dining room, because it's only a floor and walls. It's the kitchen and bathrooms that require most of the product, professional expertise, talent, and labor. So if you have a $400,000 home, and it costs $25,000-$35,000 to redo a master bath with middle or high end fixtures and fittings, or $50,000-$70,000 for a middle or higher end kitchen done really well, it's justified.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:39 PM

397 posts, read 515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
50 weeks of 12K bathroom jobs = $600,000

If a contractor brings in revenue of 600,000 and profits only 100,000. That means there's 500,000 in overhead?
Seriously? Are you just looking to argue online? Did you read anything besides the last paragraph?

A 5x8 bathroom is NOT getting a full gut remodel by a single person in a single week... Your $600K figure is just nonsense. Read the thread again, and try to understand the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island