Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:40 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,299,028 times

Advertisements

Yes...please forgive me for giving a damn and posting here again.
Unfortunately there have been several negative news stories about Westbury pertaining to what are most likely illegal immigrants.
This first one technically wasn't even in Westbury, but the news media often lumps New Cassel in with Westbury. I am not surprised this happened at all, there's always guys hanging around in front of that place up to no good.
Ovidio Hernandez, Miguel Amador robbed, assaulted man outside Westbury restaurant, police say | Newsday

Fight Turns Into Robbery

The second crime, didn't take place in Westbury, but Uniondale, but the suspect is from Westbury, according to the article. I would not be surprised if this was gang or drug related.
Police: Suspect charged in Uniondale fatal shooting | News 12 Long Island

Joel Arquimides Ayala Deras arrested in fatal shooting of German Ismael Saravia Melendez, police say | Newsday

Then there's the usual Leandra's Law DWIs
Local Violates Leandra

And The Pines Motel...seriously this place needs to be shut down. It, unfortunately is not in the Village (just outside on the other side of Old Country). My bus route (the n35) seems to be their method of travel, usually from Hempstead Transit Center, always reeking of booze and weed, and always having an excuse for not paying bus fare. Last year one of these guys almost started a fight with me on the bus, he was out of his mind!
McDonalds Robber Nabbed

There were other robberies in New Cassel in the news as well.
Of course all this bad news always overshadows the improvements in town. New places opening on Post Ave every month, and they are not bodegas. And all the snow has been removed from town too.
It is just a shame that working class towns like ours wind up getting problems dumped on them.
And there are some parts of town, especially north and west, that are more upper class.
I would hate to see our progress thrown away and our town become like our next door neighbor, New Cassel. However, if these problems are not dealt with, that is what I fear may happen.
Everyone has a right to live in a safe community regardless of their income, race, or health. Criminals do not belong here, or anywhere, except in jail, there they belong.
It truly is in everyone's interest, even if you're one of the lucky ones to live in a safe town free of criminals like Merrick, Syosset, or Wantagh, to support the removal from society of those who continue to break the law, as well as those who aren't even legally allowed to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 03:00 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,889,740 times
This week, 3 people got shot in Southampton; crime is happening everywhere on LI. Broadcasting every little arrest to the entire internet isn't helping your town's desirability (yes, I know your on other sites too). As a result, it will probably become a self fulfilling prophecy and become even worse.

You've been unhappy with your town for a decade now, judging by your username creation date. I know moving isn't easy, but it's time to start taking small steps into trying to remedy your situation. Or get somebody in "Program" to try and assist you.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 AM

5,274 posts, read 4,718,295 times
New Cassel has been a disaster for years John, unfortunately this is nothing new.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 AM

402 posts, read 514,964 times
Crime is everywhere John... Recently, there were two robberies in East Hills (which is far more exclusive than the towns you mentioned above). Just an fyi, the criminals were white and black (before we start assuming they are illegal Hispanics). In this day in age, regardless of where you live, you will experience some sort of crime.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:36 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,039,093 times
John, here is some verbal ammunition for you...

If you "Spoonerize" (transposing the initial sounds or letters of two or more words) Westbury you would have Bestwury. This would of course sound like Best-Worry! Put into a sentence might go something like this "Y'all BEST be worried!"

You could take your stats to the Village officials and state to them "If something is not done about these stats residents are going to feel like they are living in Best-Worry not Westbury!!"

Seriously, I am only being half facetious, this might get you somewhere.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:51 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,813,308 times
whoa you said something positive in there.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,889,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
Crime is everywhere John... Recently, there were two robberies in East Hills (which is far more exclusive than the towns you mentioned above). Just an fyi, the criminals were white and black (before we start assuming they are illegal Hispanics). In this day in age, regardless of where you live, you will experience some sort of crime.
Both of the criminals in the East Hills robbery were white. I agree with the rest of your post though..

Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,403,128 times
Are there even statistics on the race of the offenders for the suspects convicted of serious crimes on Long Island? Or do we have to start ourselves a tally for 2016?

Now, I would never put down an entire race/ethnicity of people based off crime statistics, but I'm curious to see what the disparities are between white, black, and Hispanic proportionate to their respective populations, just because I'm curious to see how accurate the assertions from some posters are.

Nationwide, the Hispanic murder rate has gone down A LOT over the last 20 years, the gap between them and white people will likely close within the not too distant future. Will John's racist rants then have to be for purely superficial reasons or will he retire?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:12 AM

5,274 posts, read 4,718,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Nationwide, the Hispanic murder rate has gone down A LOT over the last 20 years, the gap between them and white people will likely close within the not too distant future. Will John's racist rants then have to be for purely superficial reasons or will he retire?

Murder Rate for Hispanics Is Twice the Murder Rate for Whites

Old 01-28-2016, 10:31 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,403,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
That's what I thought it was more or less

That's still a huge decline from what it was
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island