Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 18,728 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am in the process of having a semi in ground pool installed in Farmingdale (Town of Oyster Bay). I was told over the phone by the Town of Oyster Bay bureau of assessment that a semi in ground installed up 24" will not be assessed in Farmingdale. So I started the process and obtained a permit to have the pool installed 24" below grade. A friend of mine in Hicksville (also town of Oyster Bay) called the Town of Oyster Bay bureau of assessment and was told in the Town of Oyster Bay your taxes will not be assessed higher as long as the permit states Semi in Ground and not In ground and he was able to burry his pool as deep as the pool manufacture allows. Seems everyone I speak to whether is be a enforcement agent, Assessment bureau or other town official I get a different answer. The Building department doesn't care about tax assessment only that the pool is installed to code. Depending on who you speak with at the Town assessment office you will get a different answer. I would love to burry my pool at the manufacturers maximum depth of 36" but I don't want to get slammed with a tax increase.

How do I find out the written facts of tax assessment and semi in ground swimming pools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 AM

193 posts, read 421,216 times
Doesn't the pool company who is installing the pool have some sort of clue?

I would think most 'reputable' contractors have dealt with permits and the town before.
Don't they usually take care of that as its part of the installation?

Old 01-31-2016, 01:40 PM

1,402 posts, read 1,522,447 times
Be very careful going by what they "tell" you.

Claiming "Mr. Jones at the assessor's office told me xxx" will get you nowhere when the higher tax bill comes. At most, they will tell you he was wrong or never told you that.

As was mentioned, the pool company should have some knowledge in this area. One would hope they do since it is their business to know.

I would go to the tax office and get an answer in writing. Make them include the actual tax code section where the answer comes from. Print out a copy of that section to keep with their letter.

If it doesn't say it in the tax code, even a letter won't help you.

You might also look through ecode360: http://ecode360.com/OY1221 It may have the answer

Old 02-06-2016, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 18,728 times
Well I visited the Town of Oyster Bay Assessment office yesterday and was told by a assessor that there is no documentation related to the depth of a pool can be installed without being assessed. Also it is the discretion of the Assessor whether or not it adds value to the home. The only concern the Town has is that the pool is installed at a depth approved by the manufacture. He also stated as long as the pool is not installed flush to the ground and decking is not install all around the pool it should not be assessed. If a Assessor was to assess the value to raise the value of my home it would only go up a 3 - 400 and you can grieve their decision and have it reduced. He stated it could be years if it is ever assessed, they have so much work to assess. They concentrate with new construction, re Construction and dorming and they do not have time to trace down seasonal enhancements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island