Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,883,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuckeye View Post
Indeed. There are now only three predominantly black school districts on Long Island (Wyandanch, Roosevelt, and Malverne)
Don't forget about Elmont SD, which has had 3 black semi-intel finalists within the last couple of years and a HS graduation rate of over 90%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,376,194 times
Quote:
Indeed. There are now only three predominantly black school districts on Long Island (Wyandanch, Roosevelt, and Malverne)
I'm surprised by Malverne, for some reason I thought it was predominately white

And I can easily see Roosevelt SD no longer being black majority in 10 years

Old 02-01-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm surprised by Malverne, for some reason I thought it was predominately white

And I can easily see Roosevelt SD no longer being black majority in 10 years
Yep, because Malverne shares it's district with Lakeview which is actually the blackest community in New York state (that ironically also has a higher median household income than the Nassau County average). Many white families in Malverne refuse to use the public schools.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Yeah, Malverne shares it's district with Lakeview which is actually the blackest community in New York state (that ironically even has a higher median household income than the Nassau County average).
I live in Baldwin and I didn't even know Lakeview existed until maybe 2 or 3 years ago! Also, I'm surprised that the blackest community is in Nassau County, I thought it would be somewhere upstate or in the

Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 PM

Well, its the blackest hamlet/village/town in the state. City neighborhoods are not included in this...if so then parts of SE Queens, Brooklyn and Eastside Buffalo would be much blacker.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well, its the blackest hamlet/village/town in the state. City neighborhoods are not included in this...if so then parts of SE Queens, Brooklyn and Eastside Buffalo would be much blacker.
then again, I don't know how many zip codes in NYC are left which are over 90% black

Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Surprisingly, almost all of the zip codes in SE Queens are still over 90% black for the exception of Jamaica and Rosedale. I truly do wonder how it stayed that way.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Well..... To be fair..... Wyandanch is being gentrified. Its always the genius that has the foresight that ends up rich. Wyandanch is in a prime location. Its a transpo hubm close to LIE and SState and the LIRR. The amount of foreclosed houses and empty lots and very low cost houses make it a developers dream. They will force the dregs out .
I agree that Wyandanch is in a great location. If it could just get rid of the bums and fix the schools then it would be GOLD; but yeah yeah, I know...I know, that's much easier said than done!

Think about it: It has a big walkable downtown, an LIRR stop, located minutes away from the Melville office parks, tons of newer-construction homes and not in a flood zone. A lot of people specifically look for these traits.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 PM

104 posts, read 149,879 times
Quote:
Don't forget about Elmont SD, which has had 3 black semi-intel finalists within the last couple of years and a HS graduation rate of over 90%.
Elmont UFSD is now only 48% black (2015 | ELMONT UFSD - Enrollment Data | NYSED Data Site). The high school, however, which is part of the Sewanhaka system, is 76% black. I said there are only three mostly black school districts, not individual schools.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Elmont UFSD is now only 48% black (2015 | ELMONT UFSD - Enrollment Data | NYSED Data Site). The high school, however, which is part of the Sewanhaka system, is 76% black. I said there are only three mostly black school districts, not individual schools.
I guess it depends on what source you use.

This one puts it at 52%: Demographics in Long Island school districts
This one puts it at 51%: Elmont School District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island