U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 11:33 AM

7 posts, read 1,897 times

Advertisements

I'm closing my house in 2 weeks. What is the best way to grieve my taxes?

Are they going to tax me based on new purchased price?

Will new COs increase property taxes?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:56 AM

1,636 posts, read 645,576 times
1) https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/...rievproced.htm

2) https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publicati...s/taxworks.pdf
Assessor

3) "New" COs? No. Closed/completed COs? Depending on what it is.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 1,897 times
Thanks for the link!

Seller added new porch in the back, new handrail in the front, revised/enhanced HVAC, plus general interior updates including new kitchen and baths. Will these increase the taxes?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:41 PM

168 posts, read 75,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e__s View Post
Thanks for the link!

Seller added new porch in the back, new handrail in the front, revised/enhanced HVAC, plus general interior updates including new kitchen and baths. Will these increase the taxes?
Bend over and get ready, Nassau county tells renovations such as kitchens wont raise your taxes. You will be reassessed at a higher value and that will raise your taxes.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 645,576 times
Just realized my links were more relevant for Port Jefferson than Port Washington. Apologies, but you should be able to find similar links for Nassau.

If it's a new porch (not just refaced) then that'll probably raise taxes. HVAC shouldn't. While a new kitchen or bathroom won't directly increase taxes like an increase in square footage (extension, dormer, 2nd floor) it increases the value of the home, so it will likely make them go up.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:38 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,513,207 times
And even if the owner hadn't done any work..your taxes will go up every year to feed the beast!

Old 02-02-2016, 03:01 PM

4,553 posts, read 5,541,052 times
First, you will have to wait till January to grieve them, and you have till March to do so. You simply go to the nassaucountyny.gov and you will be taken through the process online. The answer to your other question is that it depends. Were permits filed? Is the porch heated? What is the extent of the job? To broadly answer your question, yes, if you improve your home your taxes will go up. How much is the question?

Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 PM

29 posts, read 4,751 times
Hello, The best way to grieve your tax is to hire a professional. You can do it yourself but my personal recommendation is to hire an expert that not only understands the various channels of navigating through the process but also may be able to obtain a larger reduction for you. Your taxes is will compared to similar style homes in your area and will not go up as a result of the exercise. It can be lowered, if the consultant is successful or remain the same. Co's can increase property values based on what was actually done e.g. increasing the living square footage of the home such as a dormer or adding a room.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 AM

4,553 posts, read 5,541,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetnation View Post
Hello, The best way to grieve your tax is to hire a professional. You can do it yourself but my personal recommendation is to hire an expert that not only understands the various channels of navigating through the process but also may be able to obtain a larger reduction for you. Your taxes is will compared to similar style homes in your area and will not go up as a result of the exercise. It can be lowered, if the consultant is successful or remain the same. Co's can increase property values based on what was actually done e.g. increasing the living square footage of the home such as a dormer or adding a room.
I disagree. This is not rocket science. The Nassau County assessment site will guide you through and there are always programs at the local library that will also show you how. The professional will take 50% of the savings for something you can do yourself.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:40 PM

6,963 posts, read 7,430,612 times
They also gave me a larger reduction than I actually asked for, grieving myself. I think the only thing agencies are good for is showing up to court for you should you be denied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island