U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 PM

545 posts, read 1,277,784 times
Look at the Silicon Valley if you want to see the wave of the future....

Long Island is a really cool place in my mind for nostalgia (1970s-early 80s), but it just brings all of these images of my youth...when a lot of the family lived there. That is really no more...and so I'll remember Long Island like that. Every time I go back there...for many reasons outside of the aforementioned, I just dont really like where its headed. Things DO change...inevitable....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,271,649 times
Look how much the % of English background declined from 1990 to 2000 alone. Imagine what it was like in 1950 or 1960? Attached is % English from 1990 census: Dark green is over 9%, Darkest Green is over 17%. Compare this to the 2000 map I posted earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Great Neck - Tell me everything.-english-1990.gif  

Old 02-09-2008, 01:56 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,345,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Very true. Unfortunately the same will happen to the Irish, Italians and Jews over the next 50 years. It almost seems like when people reach the top of the social scale they stop having larger families and eventually are replaced by the next up and coming group.

The north shore areas will probably by dominated by Asians and middle easterners later this century. Funny how the world works.
I think it will play out differently this time. The New York area is built out and matured, and the rest of the country is getting that way to for that matter. Asians have small families already and wouldn't be growing if it wasn't for immigration. I think that alot of immigrants in the city are bypassing the suburbs all together now and are heading strait for PA or the South.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:58 AM

13,745 posts, read 15,714,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I think you're right. GC is still pretty WASPy/preppy, but maybe 50/50 protestant and catholic these days. East End, yes...

What about places like Stonybrook...North Shore Suffolk (I see Ft. Sal, Halesite)?

Chiming in from Stony Brook...

Not WASPy (although there are more Protestants here than anywhere else I've lived on LI) but somewhat preppy; although not as much as when I attended SUNY SB in the 80's.

SUNY does have some impact on the demographics; many administrative and profs live in the area. Outside of SUNY tilting the demographics, we have a broad mix of people. The elementary school roster has Asian surnames, Irish, Italian, Spanish, Portugese, Greek, English, French, Middle Eastern, Slavic, northern European -- to name a few!

The oldest families in the area date back to the colonial era. Some of them are dictionary definition WASP. Another family from that era is Native American and have intermarried with African Americans and with white families from the area. Yet another family can link their roots back to the Smiths of Smithtown. I can go on and on about how long many families have been here. All the rest of us are newcomers compared to the families I mentioned.

All in all, I think we have a great mix of people here: those who will remain here for centuries and the constant infusion of new people either relocating for the university or doing so by there own choice helps keep it a great place to live.

Well, I had best say the words "Great Neck' so as not to have gone completely off topic! (Sorry Mods)

Old 02-09-2008, 01:19 PM

122 posts, read 393,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Sadly, that is hard to find anywhere on the Island. Garden City would be your best bet among those you have mentioned.

I occasionally see kids playing outside where I live in Port, but usually only in the summer.
This is sad. I was hoping that those "watch out for children playing" signs in Flower Hill and Sands Point meant I'd see kids playing in the front yard or riding bikes.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:20 PM

13,745 posts, read 15,714,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa1127 View Post
This is sad. I was hoping that those "watch out for children playing" signs in Flower Hill and Sands Point meant I'd see kids playing in the front yard or riding bikes.
Did you get out to see anything today?

Old 02-09-2008, 03:07 PM

122 posts, read 393,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Did you get out to see anything today?
Based on what I've read here and heard I don't think Great Neck is the community for us. So I decided not to waste my time going there. It's looking like Manhasset, PW or GC are best for us. I just LOVE the sidewalks in GC and can imagine my 3 little boys riding their vehicles along them.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:50 PM

36 posts, read 112,657 times
Default Great neck

Sadly, this is what Ive always heard about Great Neck.
It's common for a 16yr old to have:
a BMW
$300 pocketbooks
$200 shoes
and more cash on hand than their parents.
and a sense of entitlement to go with the package !

Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Status: ""Disgraceful and a high school mentality" - by a poet" (set 22 days ago)

3,048 posts, read 2,327,566 times
from what good friends who resides in GN. There are noticeable differences from the north & south GN school district (people wise). I would visit the schools to get a better feel with your own eyes.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:36 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,000,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa1127 View Post
Based on what I've read here and heard I don't think Great Neck is the community for us. So I decided not to waste my time going there. It's looking like Manhasset, PW or GC are best for us. I just LOVE the sidewalks in GC and can imagine my 3 little boys riding their vehicles along them.
I think all wise choices. I still say GC is the most family friendly community minded town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island