Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Island negativity: sour grapes, fact-based comments, sugar-coating, facts and myths

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,297 times

Advertisements

And I add that many of could easily afford to have stayed on LI, but determined that it was no longer the place for us to invest time and money into anymore. In other words, we no longer wanted to plant roots on the island, make investments on the Island, and we did not want to "waste" anymore time and money. It is like dating someone whom does not have the same goals, likes and dislikes. Why waste your time dating them, if the future does not look like it will be the best.

Now, those of us that left happily, not forced because we "couldn't hack it" obviously did so because we no longer liked, or admired, the area and its inhabitants. Of course we are going to be the ones that share the ugly side of the Island. BUT, I think there is a place for that side of the argument. I think people considering LI should see the bad as well as the good so they can make the decision that is best for their family and future.

If had not grown up on LI, and come back after a good stint in the city and lived there for 10 more years, I would not know all that I do about the area. On the surface, LI would seem to fit quite well with my "plans" for life. But very close under that surface,(only seen once you actually exist on LI for a while) is the truth that LI is NOT a good fit for me or my family. It once was, a few decades ago, but we lived and saw the writing on the wall, the truth, the present and future certainly is not what we are interested in participating.

In our case, and many many others I assure you, economics was not a driving force in our decision to live somewhere other than LI. Though I suppose it is easy to just say all of that left could not hack it like yourselves, somehow making us whiney "losers" compared to the smart and successful folk that choose to remain on the sand spit.

Peace

Last edited by JustSayNo; 02-10-2008 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 AM

210 posts, read 671,446 times
Take a look at the news.... between the economy, war, energy costs and our future there's lots and lots of frustration and anger. Because LI's prices can be a bit on the high side this may be a bit magnified here, but unfortunately it is everywhere.

Long Island has some beautiful areas, great schools and beaches. It has its downsides like anywhere, but it's not such a bad place to live.

Without mentioning specific names, this board has a few posters who for one reason or another have issues with the area. If you weed these few out, you'll find a group that actually likes it here.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watamensch View Post
Because LI's prices can be a bit on the high side this may be a bit magnified here,...
Is that like being a bit pregnant?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 AM

652 posts, read 2,264,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
Imagine my situation--I actually participate on the Raleigh/Durham city-data board b/c I'm living there now... BUT, my husband is interviewing for a job at CSHL on LI next month. Whew boy. Between reading the posts of relocated LI-ers over on the Raleigh board and reading all the negativity here, I think I'm developing an ulcer.

I HAVE found some useful LI information using the forum search feature, but I'd like to see a lot more of it vs. all the negative LI diatribes that really contribute nothing to the purpose of this forum.
We live two minutes from the Labs in CSH (see my website in my profile here) and its absolutely beautiful here.
Angry people are every where and where better to vent then on a forum so I would take it with a grain of salt.
Its what you make of it. I was just reading a thread in the Western NC forum and there's a post by a guy that moved there from Oregon several months ago and he's REALLY upset with the area. Said it was the worst decision of his life moving there and he's now moving back to Oregon. There's a real mix in that forum....as in all of em'.
Who knows what someones personal agenda is?

We know several people that have lived in the area of the labs. I'll tell you one thing...It's drop dead beautiful in there!! And you're 45 minutes to NYC and Huntington is five minutes away. One of THE nicest towns to hang out in on Long Island. Great parks http://town.huntington.ny.us/town_ga...?categoryID=17 , music halls , Live Music - Jazz, Blues, Folk American and World music - Welcome to the Inter-Media Art Center museums Heckscher Museum (broken link) , fairs, all kinda things. I think you'll love it. You pretty much can walk into Cold Spring Harbor and browse the shops.
If you're broke then anywhere you live is going to be an unpleasant experience. If you hang out with people that you don't see eye to eye with you won't be happy but the thing about this area is you have tons of people and places to choose from. Maybe more than anywhere else. Its really a diverse area.
Let the cry babies cry...maybe eventually they'll cry themselves to sleep.

Last edited by andybuildz; 02-11-2008 at 10:33 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,294 times
I feel all warm and fuzzy now LOL. Rep points all around!

For a variety of reasons--one of which is your thoughful responses here on this thread--I'm feeling MUCH more optimistic about a move to LI this week. We'll see how I feel next week but for now, things are looking up. I'm beginning to find myself getting kind of excited about the prospect. Never in a million years did I think this was where I'd end up... but the more I learn about LI, the more I'm adjusting to the idea. We shall see... Thanks all!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM

210 posts, read 671,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
I feel all warm and fuzzy now LOL. Rep points all around!
Remember, I started the thread... rep points?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:56 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
And I add that many of could easily afford to have stayed on LI, but determined that it was no longer the place for us to invest time and money into anymore. In other words, we no longer wanted to plant roots on the island, make investments on the Island, and we did not want to "waste" anymore time and money. It is like dating someone whom does not have the same goals, likes and dislikes. Why waste your time dating them, if the future does not look like it will be the best.

Now, those of us that left happily, not forced because we "couldn't hack it" obviously did so because we no longer liked, or admired, the area and its inhabitants. Of course we are going to be the ones that share the ugly side of the Island. BUT, I think there is a place for that side of the argument. I think people considering LI should see the bad as well as the good so they can make the decision that is best for their family and future.

If had not grown up on LI, and come back after a good stint in the city and lived there for 10 more years, I would not know all that I do about the area. On the surface, LI would seem to fit quite well with my "plans" for life. But very close under that surface,(only seen once you actually exist on LI for a while) is the truth that LI is NOT a good fit for me or my family. It once was, a few decades ago, but we lived and saw the writing on the wall, the truth, the present and future certainly is not what we are interested in participating.

In our case, and many many others I assure you, economics was not a driving force in our decision to live somewhere other than LI. Though I suppose it is easy to just say all of that left could not hack it like yourselves, somehow making us whiney "losers" compared to the smart and successful folk that choose to remain on the sand spit.

Peace

Excellent post. I had no problem meeting my bills. I just thought it would be nice to actually save money as well. Some, like myself, saw that over paying to live on LI no longer justified the cost. Eight thousand dollars a year in property taxes for a 50 year old cape was not my idea getting the best bang for the buck. LI has plenty to offer, but to call those who were unhappy and left as "whinners" and people who "couldn't hack it" as sugar coating the truth.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Default I like it here and agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Excellent post. I had no problem meeting my bills. I just thought it would be nice to actually save money as well. Some, like myself, saw that over paying to live on LI no longer justified the cost. Eight thousand dollars a year in property taxes for a 50 year old cape was not my idea getting the best bang for the buck. LI has plenty to offer, but to call those who were unhappy and left as "whinners" and people who "couldn't hack it" as sugar coating the truth.
It is funny to hear the counter to the seemingly typical ex-LI person who comes onto the board to let all of us who live in the region know how dumb we are for staying here...I do not think anybody has the right to make statements on either side of the argument.

As an aside (and this is not meant particularly for you Redd) I do chuckle over some of the older generation who post that they left in frustration because of taxes, that the Wonder Years life was gone, things are overdeveloped, etc....and think to myself, hmmm, which generation of Long Islanders allowed this to occur, and profited from it....huh??? Seems to be the same 50-70 somethings who lament the change. Thought there was a bit of irony in my very non-scientific hypothesis.

To the Cold Spring Harbor teacher prospect's wife - there are over 3 million people in this region. The island is over 120 miles long. I moved out to the island nine years ago and have had a nice time thus far for my family and career. That is my experience. With millions of opinions (and residents) will come thousands of complaints. It is not perfect here, but it is not perfect anywhere...but as for the things I like - the beaches, the north shore, riding my bike along the sound - jetting down to the "real" ocean beach on the south shore, 4 seasons, good schools, strong sense of community in many towns, my home and the different makeups of the communities that surround me...Plus I married an italian and benefit from the close proximity of relatives who make great sauce. I can hook you up with some if you move up here. As for locations, given the CSH location, might I suggest Northport.
Best of luck to you.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
It is funny to hear the counter to the seemingly typical ex-LI person who comes onto the board to let all of us who live in the region know how dumb we are for staying here...I do not think anybody has the right to make statements on either side of the argument.

As an aside (and this is not meant particularly for you Redd) I do chuckle over some of the older generation who post that they left in frustration because of taxes, that the Wonder Years life was gone, things are overdeveloped, etc....and think to myself, hmmm, which generation of Long Islanders allowed this to occur, and profited from it....huh??? Seems to be the same 50-70 somethings who lament the change. Thought there was a bit of irony in my very non-scientific hypothesis.

To the Cold Spring Harbor teacher prospect's wife - there are over 3 million people in this region. The island is over 120 miles long. I moved out to the island nine years ago and have had a nice time thus far for my family and career. That is my experience. With millions of opinions (and residents) will come thousands of complaints. It is not perfect here, but it is not perfect anywhere...but as for the things I like - the beaches, the north shore, riding my bike along the sound - jetting down to the "real" ocean beach on the south shore, 4 seasons, good schools, strong sense of community in many towns, my home and the different makeups of the communities that surround me...Plus I married an italian and benefit from the close proximity of relatives who make great sauce. I can hook you up with some if you move up here. As for locations, given the CSH location, might I suggest Northport.
Best of luck to you.
Thanks. Things and people change. LI is changing as well. For some, it is a bad thing, for others a good. It won’t return to the “Wonder Years” years for those who feel that halcyon days are gone and miss them. If that’s the way someone feels they should look for a better place for themselves. LI will always be there. And despite dire predictions that some have, it will not be the east island expansion of the federal prison of Manhattan as portrayed in “Escape from New York”.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 AM

101 posts, read 377,591 times
I love Long Island and as you van see from my previous posts I try to help when people have questions on how to afford living here. There still are affordable areas and downsizing may be an option for those struggling but of course NC offers alot more house for the money. It is easy to see why we have alot of southern flight. IMO I think that what other areas do not have is what makes it not worth the move.

We are a family who tries to enjoy the island as much as possible. I have to say the breathtaking beaches alone make it worth living here, add on the parks and the fact we live so close to the city and I cannot imagine moving.

Convience is another big plus as much as we have been made fun of for our strip malls, being able to run out in the middle of the night to get tylenol for a sick child, if you are craving something or forgot an important item your child needs at school the next day. Also convience of travelling from McArthur is awesome!

I could go on and on. There are still affordable nice areas all over long island. Like I have said before there are still starter homes out there and if you look at it like a stepping stone instead of needing it all right now LI is still doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island