Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:22 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,307 times

Advertisements

Yes, most of students in SD 15, which covers Lawrence and Cedarhurst are from Inwood because the residents send kids to yeshivas, so while these two towns overall are very safe and considered great places to live, one should not buy a house there if they plan on going to public school. The school district is only as good as the socio-economic makeup of the town it serves, and in NYC, we don't have what many other metros do-affluent African American neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Yes, most of students in SD 15, which covers Lawrence and Cedarhurst are from Inwood because the residents send kids to yeshivas, so while these two towns overall are very safe and considered great places to live, one should not buy a house there if they plan on going to public school. The school district is only as good as the socio-economic makeup of the town it serves, and in NYC, we don't have what many other metros do-affluent African American neighborhoods.
African Americans are barely 20% of the Inwood population

http://www.city-data.com/city/Inwood-New-York.html

Old 02-05-2016, 03:37 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Lawrence in Five Town/Atlantic Beach used to be a top school like Jericho, Manhasset, Great Neck and Cold Spring Harbor the late 70s and early 80s.

But school taxes kept flying up till the orthodox took over and cut everything.

Now a striking comparison is houses in Atlantic Beach pay thousands less in school taxes than identical houses in Long Beach.

And property values rose as folks value low taxes even more than good schools. Even more if a vacation home or your kids go to Catholic or Yeshiva schools.
The only reason Atlantic Beach remains stable is because people LIKE TO LIVE BY THE BEACH. NOT because people value low taxes more than good public schools. Everyone (except the Orthodox) wants the value that good public schools add to their home.

I'm certain the folk in Atlantic Beach would love to send their kids to the Lawrence of yesteryear.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
I feel like most people in real life just want to send to their kids to a well performing (but not necessarily top tier) school, and aren't super nitpicky about it

Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Very false....Just take a look at this thread, which has plenty of information: Upper Middle class african-american communities in ny

Old 02-05-2016, 06:09 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
African Americans are barely 20% of the Inwood population

http://www.city-data.com/city/Inwood-New-York.html
According to another source, it is just under 25% Black, but Hispanics are the biggest group in plurality at about 44% according to the same source.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:19 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I never understood the emphasis on being in a top-tier school... Most of my friends are graduates of moderate-performing school districts and we're all successful hard-working adults. I don't think we would be any better positions in life had we graduated from Jericho or something. The main thing is you as a parent & how much your child cares and wants to learn. If they have a good attitude that they want to do well and you as a parent are involved in their education & supportive, they will do fine in mostly any district. Sending your child to a top-tier HS on LI doesn't guarantee success for the future. As I said, I do just fine with my regents diploma from a less-than-average HS & college.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 PM

104 posts, read 151,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I remember back in the day when nobody with means would dare send their kids to Bay Shore schools. It had a similar reputation as Brentwood and CI. Now, it's considered a decent option for most people. I've heard there's now a nice choice of AP programs. They've also remodeled the schools pretty nice.
So did a lot of the people in Bay Shore send their kids to private school? Has that number gone down?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:40 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Aside from a very select few, maybe like 3 districts, LI schools are mediocre.
The numbers are manipulated for obvious reasons.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM

104 posts, read 151,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Aside from a very select few, maybe like 3 districts, LI schools are mediocre.
The numbers are manipulated for obvious reasons.
A very select few are very bad, or a very select few are very good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island