Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part is better - Elwood/Franklin or Dickenson st next to dickenson school?
Elwood/Franklin 1 16.67%
Dickenson 4 66.67%
None 0 0%
Other 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 6,708 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are a family of two white jewish couple with a five years old girl and a baby boy. Currently living in Forest Hills but because I work in long island in Port Washington thinking of moving to LI (Also our lease in Forest Hills just increased in %50)
I saw 2 houses, one next to dickenson school, and the other close to elwood and franklin ave. The elwood one had a section 8 tenant living there. Zip 11731‎

Can you help me compare these 2 areas? Are there areas dedicated to section 8 over there? Areas with higher crime? Where would be better for my kids?

Which school is better for Kindergarden - Potter or Dickenson?

I have read that the LI power plant is going to be closed and taxes will go higher. Anyone knows the story?

I have read that there are elderly housing being planed in the are and the roads are going to be even more crowded. Anyone heard of that?

How bad would be the traffic each day to Port Washington?

If I will buy a 2 family and like to rent out the other unit - 2 or 3 beds, which area rents faster and for a better rate?

Any issues with the basement of the houses being flooded? We have many books and I dont want them ruined in the basement.

8. Crime rates? I saw on the crime map in Zillow around dickenson some red areas that shows crime, and on Elwood and Franklin st there was none.

Any estimates as to housing prices?
I saw on Zillow that the prices in ENP are going down as compared to Melville - East Northport %1 down, while Melville %22 up last year. So Melville might be a better investment?

Recommendations on other areas to live in closer to Port Washington for a budget of up to $600K for a 2 family?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 AM

402 posts, read 518,694 times
I would look at Albertson/Roslyn Heights. At your price point, im sure you will be able to find something. Location would be better plus there is a healthy Jewish community in these areas. I dont really sense that about East Northport. Of course, you will get more house/land at this price point though.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:27 AM

592 posts, read 919,718 times
I assume you like that area because of the low taxes? If true, you are right to raise the question about the power plant suit which is still meandering its way through the courts. If the suit is lost (which is a high possibility) taxes in Northport school district would likely skyrocket.

Crime is not an issue in that area but traffic is not great and only going to get worse as housing developments like Seasons at Elwood go up further south.

Finally, google "Matinecock Court"

Old 02-05-2016, 06:46 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
It's a great place to live.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,086 times
Elwood hands down. The commute to Port Washington is not the worst but definitely annoying. Northport/E. Northport is a very nice area in general with tons to offer. Try to look on Elwood (North of Pulaski), a lot of these homes are geographically in E. Northport but have a Northport mailing address.

*Channels inner Walter Greenspan*

Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Elwood hands down. The commute to Port Washington is not the worst but definitely annoying. Northport/E. Northport is a very nice area in general with tons to offer. Try to look on Elwood (North of Pulaski), a lot of these homes are geographically in E. Northport but have a Northport mailing address.

*Channels inner Walter Greenspan*
Elwood hands down? Hardly. It's a great area, but the Northport-East Northport school district is also terrific and with 600k, you could also do nicely in Northport village, if you'd like (but you'd get a bigger house in the Elwood section of East Northport). What Elwood has going for it is proximity to the parkway.

Also, it would be news to me if any homes off of Elwood north of Pulaski are in the Elwood School District. That's right where Northport High School is!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Elwood hands down? Hardly. It's a great area, but the Northport-East Northport school district is also terrific and with 600k, you could also do nicely in Northport village, if you'd like (but you'd get a bigger house in the Elwood section of East Northport). What Elwood has going for it is proximity to the parkway.

Also, it would be news to me if any homes off of Elwood north of Pulaski are in the Elwood School District. That's right where Northport High School is!
HUH? I meant Elwood ROAD area OF East Northport.

I also never said any houses were in Elwood school district, I said some of the houses in E. Northport have a Northport address, which is a an absolute fact as I know people with this situation... I think you missed the entire point of this thread.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
HUH? I meant Elwood ROAD area OF East Northport.

I also never said any houses were in Elwood school district, I said some of the houses in E. Northport have a Northport address, which is a an absolute fact as I know people with this situation... I think you missed the entire point of this thread.
You're right, but I'd have to say near Dickenson is a much nicer area than Franklin Street off of Elwood. There are some great sections off of Elwood (both north and south of Pulaski), but that's not one of them.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
You're right, but I'd have to say near Dickenson is a much nicer area than Franklin Street off of Elwood. There are some great sections off of Elwood (both north and south of Pulaski), but that's not one of them.
Yeah I honestly am only speaking from personal experience of the Elwood Road area. I'm not attesting to anything other than that. I generally find that North of Pulaski in general is nicer, and closer to Northport Village, making it more desirable, in my opinion.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:48 PM

214 posts, read 459,258 times
How bad would be the traffic each day to Port Washington?

Depends what time you travel...you can take 25A/Northern Blvd the whole way - 45 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island