Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
LI is just not designed to create a scene
Now I will sort of agree with you on that point. Most of Long Island's music scene 60's & 70's centered around Nassau and not so much the more rural Suffolk. When the music scene expanded it still wasn't centrally located but spread out with a respectable drive to the next location. So there was a scene, just not a place you could point to and say, "there it is".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:10 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
UsAll's original post (posting # 153) stated: "Mentioning 'My Father's Place' (in Roslyn) made me think of the former Action House and Rockpile, both in Island Park? Or was that before the time of many of you? Many many big-name acts (as well as local acts) played in both places."

Then responses to the above post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I'm not familiar with either place - what time frame?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Action House was MFP of the 60's, but with rumors of being run by the mob.

Here's a link to a blog with more information on Action House that a quick google search turned up. I remember hearing some of the older (mid 20's) musicians talking about the place.
IT'S ALL THE STREETS YOU CROSSED NOT SO LONG AGO: Where the Action Was
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Thanks! That's an interesting site! I'm not old enough to have experienced the 1960s music scene in NY however I do appreciate the music from that time & earlier. I have older family members who've shared their firsthand experiences with me throughout the years, fr'instance, Woodstock, seeing Janis Joplin & Jimi Hendrix perform live, et cetera. I feel sad when I think of how so many talented musicians from that era died so young.

I know in the second half of the 1960s and into the 1970s for a time (how late in the 1970s? Not sure), they existed. There address was 50 Austin Blvd., Island Park, LI, NY (though some have stated it as 50 Broadway, and sometimes they said their location was Island Park and sometimes they said it was Long Beach). The Action House itself changed names (circa mid-1970), to either the "Rock Pile" or "Rockpile".

Many many acts (big name as well as lesser name) had that as a main venue (if not THE main venue) in the greater New York City metro area. Some of the name acts that appeared there over the years"

Vanilla Fudge, The Vagrants, Leslie West and Mountain, The Illusion, Young Rascals, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Cream, Rod Stewart and Small Faces, Spanky & Our Gang, early Billy Joel, The Fifth Dimension, Wilson Pickett, Moby Grape, Canned Heat, Velvet Underground (with Lou Reed), the Mothers of Invention (with Frank Zappa), the Fugs, the Ronettes, the Shangra Las, The Left Bank, Country Joe and the Fish, Procol Harum, Jeff Beck, The Yardbirs (with Jimmy Page), Sly nad the Family Stone, the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac, Alice Cooper, The Grateful Dead, with New Riders of the Purple Sage, Badfinger, Mott the Hoople, Andy Warhol, and so many many more.

Before the Action House, the building was The Shell House (a supper club) which hosted stars of the early sixties: Marvin Gaye, Jay & the Americans, The Four Seasons, Bobby Vinton, Little Anthony, Johnny Mathis, Jack Jones, as well as comics of those days.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:10 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Kind of sad that a building that hosted so many great acts over the years is gone.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 PM

260 posts, read 450,924 times
I saw a band in the Rocky Point club by the bowling alley in the 80's, I can't remember the name. Funny thing is I can remember the name of the bar across the the street though, the Dry Dock.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariablu627 View Post
AH yes Starship i use to help my friend Celine with the mailing list at starship and remember many nights seeing RuffKut, Strange brew,Tara many many more
Cheers I followed Vixen there and at Hatters and many other bands stickiest bar ever oh the best night at cheer Swiftkicks farewell show with Steven Stevens and the keyboard player from Journey and Aldo Nova showed up too
and Atrilogy at the stagedoor but spent most of my time at hatters
Wow, I played all those rooms and more, I sang for the Heavy Metal Band Battle Bratt !!!

Old 07-24-2016, 05:46 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Kind of sad that a building that hosted so many great acts over the years is gone.

I feel the same way about the Stonehedge, Many great acts

Old 09-17-2017, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,548 times
Madonna played at “uncle sams” night club nassau county long island— after releasing he first album!
Blue oyster cult played under the name “soft white underbelly” in eastern long island bars.
Jake giles played in suffolk county small bars during wet t-shirt contests.
Billy joel used to just hang out and drink with me and mutual friends and bartenders in huntington long island local bars.

So don’t tell me there were no big names playing, or parting inside long island bars!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIG-IT View Post
Billy joel used to just hang out and drink with me and mutual friends and bartenders in huntington long island local bars.
You never hung out with Billy Joel you lying sack. Don't come around here with that horse $hit.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:21 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
You never hung out with Billy Joel you lying sack. Don't come around here with that horse $hit.
Dig-it helped cowrite River of Dreams

Old 01-14-2021, 06:53 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
UsAll's original post (posting # 153) stated: "Mentioning 'My Father's Place' (in Roslyn) made me think of the former Action House and Rockpile, both in Island Park? Or was that before the time of many of you? Many many big-name acts (as well as local acts) played in both places."

Then responses to the above post:

I know in the second half of the 1960s and into the 1970s for a time (how late in the 1970s? Not sure), they existed. There address was 50 Austin Blvd., Island Park, LI, NY (though some have stated it as 50 Broadway, and sometimes they said their location was Island Park and sometimes they said it was Long Beach). The Action House itself changed names (circa mid-1970), to either the "Rock Pile" or "Rockpile".

Many many acts (big name as well as lesser name) had that as a main venue (if not THE main venue) in the greater New York City metro area. Some of the name acts that appeared there over the years"

Vanilla Fudge, The Vagrants, Leslie West and Mountain, The Illusion, Young Rascals, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Cream, Rod Stewart and Small Faces, Spanky & Our Gang, early Billy Joel, The Fifth Dimension, Wilson Pickett, Moby Grape, Canned Heat, Velvet Underground (with Lou Reed), the Mothers of Invention (with Frank Zappa), the Fugs, the Ronettes, the Shangra Las, The Left Bank, Country Joe and the Fish, Procol Harum, Jeff Beck, The Yardbirs (with Jimmy Page), Sly nad the Family Stone, the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac, Alice Cooper, The Grateful Dead, with New Riders of the Purple Sage, Badfinger, Mott the Hoople, Andy Warhol, and so many many more.

Before the Action House, the building was The Shell House (a supper club) which hosted stars of the early sixties: Marvin Gaye, Jay & the Americans, The Four Seasons, Bobby Vinton, Little Anthony, Johnny Mathis, Jack Jones, as well as comics of those days.
'Scuse me but I just cannot believe I never responded to this excellent post! I sincerely apologize. I'm not even sure how I ended up seeing this now? Sortof surfing C-D I suppose?

Many thanks, much respect, & wish I could've 'been there'.

Ah Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island