Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,194 times

Advertisements

Which school district would better serve children with special needs that so far have been fine in Inclusion Classes ICT....Rocky Point or Smithtown? Both do better in small environments. One has Dyslexia & hypotonia, needs extra time on all work, other is High-functioning Autistic, ADHD, Selective Mutism, memory impairment, both with generalized anxiety. No behavior issues at all, both are very shy, difficult for them to speak up in school. In school services for Autistic child are speech and social skills. RP used to have the afterschool SHARP program in reading and math but it was cut this year. I work in Smithtown now and it's a commute but want to do what's best for the kids. They can easily get overlooked/bypassed in school in a non-attentive environment. Without the proper help in class and school, it would be very stressful for them. They are unable to play sports and are still two years behind in reading and have issues with Math. THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,382 times
From what I understand Smithtown isn't great for special needs. Hauppauge or Commack would be a better choice and both are neighboring towns. I am unfamiliar with rocky point so I can't speak to that.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:57 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,081,972 times
From what I have heard Smithtown is very picky when it comes to getting services. I can only directly comment on Three Village and I have had success getting what I needed from them once I had the recommendation from a certain doctor whose opinion is treated like the gospel.

If there are no behavior issues it is a lot easier to petition for an inclusion class and BOCES isn't needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island