Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Growing up in East Northport, we viewed people in Dix Hills as overpaying for something rather charmless. Our envy was reserved for Asharoken, the wealthier parts of Northport Village, and maybe Fort Salonga.
That envy for Asharoken evaporates after a winter storm or hurricane though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 06:57 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,856 times
Quote:
Growing up in East Northport, we viewed people in Dix Hills as overpaying for something rather charmless. Our envy was reserved for Asharoken, the wealthier parts of Northport Village, and maybe Fort Salonga.
Agree. The Northport and Fort Salonga area is awesome in so many ways. Beautiful and charming. Eatons Neck, too.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 PM

300 posts, read 553,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I guess it's all a matter of perspective... growing up in the middle/working class areas of the town of babylon and islip; we always thought of Dix Hills and Melville as where "the rich folk" were at.
Growing up in South Shore Nassau, we always thought Dix Hills and Woodbury were high-end areas. Obviously, there are richer areas but we always viewed those towns as high-end communities, even if they weren't the top tier of Long Island.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
Growing up in South Shore Nassau, we always thought Dix Hills and Woodbury were high-end areas. Obviously, there are richer areas but we always viewed those towns as high-end communities, even if they weren't the top tier of Long Island.
I think Woodbury is nicer.

I don't want to come across as trashing Dix Hills. It offers something very specific: nice larger homes on nice larger plots with good schools centrally located on Long Island that you don't need to be flat out rich to afford. For larger families who need the space, it can be a great choice. Reason pricing isn't through the roof is that it's not a great NYC commute, it lack the charms of a village and it's not on a shore.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:12 PM

592 posts, read 919,601 times
It's on my short list for my next home solely because of the schools. CSH and HHH are the tops in Huntington and the services in HHH are second to none in the area. The lack of gas lines, no downtown and no train station are very real drawbacks though.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I think Woodbury is nicer.

I don't want to come across as trashing Dix Hills. It offers something very specific: nice larger homes on nice larger plots with good schools centrally located on Long Island that you don't need to be flat out rich to afford. For larger families who need the space, it can be a great choice. Reason pricing isn't through the roof is that it's not a great NYC commute, it lack the charms of a village and it's not on a shore.
Understandable. Lack of down town and poor commute is correct. I was just stating that from an outsider, the area is considered high-end.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:12 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times
I don't really see the benefit of having a "downtown". They are usually congested with lots of traffic and have horrible parking situations; and the shops are usually overpriced small-businesses. And for a big chunk of the year, it's too cold to walk around outside anyways

I see the benefit of an LIRR stop but not a downtown. What's wrong with a good ole series of strip mall's with a nice and wide variety of stores with an easy parking situation where you don't have to pay a meter to park or worry about parallel parking and worry about getting a ticket for some crazy reason? Some strip mall's are very nice and fancy nowadays.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-14-2016 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 06:18 PM

592 posts, read 919,601 times
Quote:
I don't really see the benefit of having a "downtown". They are usually congested with lots of traffic and have horrible parking situations; and the shops are usually overpriced small-businesses. And for a big chunk of the year, it's too cold to walk around outside anyways

I see the benefit of an LIRR stop but not a downtown. What's wrong with a good ole series of strip mall's with a nice and wide variety of stores with an easy parking situation where you don't have to pay a meter to park or worry about parallel parking and worry about getting a ticket for some crazy reason? Some strip mall's are very nice and fancy nowadays.
The benefit of a downtown is directly correlated with property values down the road. It is high on the list of Millennial preferences. The boomers are dying out and their lifestyle choice is not what the younger generation is looking for.. as it stands Long Island doesn't really have any draws to it anymore over Westchester, Connecticut etc when you consider the hideous traffic here. Long Island is dying on the vine and its island mentality has a lot to do with it.

Hopefully we get a jobs president in the fall and the economy turns around. Otherwise, it's more of the same around here.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Besides all of the charm and walkability preferences of a downtown over a strip mall... The real function is not on the ground level.

The real function of a downtown is to to have apartment units on the second and third floors. Many commuters look for alternative housing means close to train stations. Unfortunately all of the politicians are scared of urbanity so many downtowns have very few apartments on the above floors, basically rendering them less about functionality and more about aesthetics. Downtowns without housing on the above floors might as well be a strip mall as you described.

What people don't realize is that downtowns are already designated urban areas so they might as well allow housing on the above floors. When zoning doesn't allow downtowns to have housing, the housing developers end up purchasing large plots of land in the more suburban areas and putting up condos/rentals. That action actually hurts the suburban image more... Basically, politicians should have just let the developers build in the preexisting urban areas.... It's a vicious cycle....

Check out http://www.longislandindex.org/mission/ for more info... It talks about the need for more housing alternatives and the brain drain of young people leaving the island.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:47 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
As far as the original question goes, it is clear (given the housing costs) Dix Hills is sought after by a good many people.

It is also clear that it is not the area to move to if you want charm and less than a 80+ minute door-to-door commute to the city each way.

That's OK.

It is also clear, on a related topic, that Long Island (the birthplace of suburbia) was generally (post WW II) constructed on the single family home model as opposed to a gradually evolving main street model. No surprise at the shortage of walkable downtowns with pleasant housing, shops, and restaurants intertwined. No surprise the retrofitting and the creation of downtowns are costly endeavors.

Nitpicker alert: The above are generalities and do not imply absolutes.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 02-15-2016 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island