Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:16 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

I've found that if you don't mention "permit" to plumbers, they won't say anything either. Of course if you bring it up they can't ignore it. Sometimes though they will say all that is on you and they just do the work (like a handyman) but then their license is on the line.

I did use a reputable company to replace a gas boiler/tank and they finished the entire swap (new pipes, circulators, etc.) without the word permit coming up. Thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 PM

852 posts, read 968,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
I agree. They want permits for EVERYTHING! I don't want to file for one but 2 plumbers that I called said that they would have to go through the proper permit process with the town. Local plumbers have quoted $2,000 for a new hot water heater. Seems like a lot considering you can get one at Lowes/HD installed for less than $800.
That is INSANE!!!! Water heaters are cheap, and they are very easy to install.

I agree with what Ovi8 says, above- Just get some quotes from plumbers and handymen, and don't mention anything about permits (They might think they are being entrapped if you do)- You should get some nice low quotes from the guys who have no intention of getting a permit from the local Nazis. Shoot, if I still lived there, I would do it for you for a couple of hundred bucks and the cost of the heater. (Ironic that this subject came up, as my own water heater is close to 20 years old, and I'm going to replace it now, before it goes bad....)

Tip: Try and find the guys who work for themself- little one-man businesses- old-fashioned handymen or retired plumbers or ones who do work "on the side"- ask around with friends and neighbors if they of any who are fair and honest. Too many service businesses on LI are total rip-offs- often charging 3 times what a job is worth, or saying you need extra work when you don't.

A neighbor of mine when I lived there was told she needed a bunch of stuff when she had someone come to fix her A/C. All the bum did in reality was change the contactor- a $10 part, that takes less than 5 minutes to install! But he billed her for $300 worth of work! (And I could tell you a lot more stories)

And whatever you do, do not have Lowes install it- they hire the worst people for such work, and they usually do horrible work. (Google it....the internet is full of complaints from people dealing with service people from places like Lowes and Sears)

Really, it shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred bucks over the cost of the heater itself. (And watch out for guys who will just buy a $300 heater from Lowes and mark it up 100% or more!)

I swear, everything on that freaking island is a royal rip-off!

Old 02-09-2016, 06:47 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Village of GC is a different ball of wax than most towns on LI. Unfortunate, but
I would get a permit for that town......98% of the other towns, don't bother.

Long Beach is another town you need permits for simple plumbing.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 AM

63 posts, read 152,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Village of GC is a different ball of wax than most towns on LI. Unfortunate, but
I would get a permit for that town......98% of the other towns, don't bother.

Long Beach is another town you need permits for simple plumbing.

Agree that GC is different than the others but I assume they don't go around checking for an unpermitted water heater. How will they really know if someone installs a new water tank on their own?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:14 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtoli View Post
Agree that GC is different than the others but I assume they don't go around checking for an unpermitted water heater. How will they really know if someone installs a new water tank on their own?
Great question.....believe it or not.....nosy neighbors, other plumbers who drive by. These neighbors most likely had to pay a fine or get get permit in the past. The inspectors in that town do just drive around. In Long Beach, rumor is that the garbage men have incentives to report construction and plumbing debris at the curb.

Now, not sure, but if the replacement was an "emergency", no hot water or tank "actively" leaking..... it may be a way out.

Just some thoughts....

Old 02-09-2016, 09:19 AM

63 posts, read 152,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Great question.....believe it or not.....nosy neighbors, other plumbers who drive by. These neighbors most likely had to pay a fine or get get permit in the past. The inspectors in that town do just drive around. In Long Beach, rumor is that the garbage men have incentives to report construction and plumbing debris at the curb.

Now, not sure, but if the replacement was an "emergency", no hot water or tank "actively" leaking..... it may be a way out.

Just some thoughts....
Exactly....if there's an emergency and the tank needs to be replaced in the middle of the night the town can't expect everyone to put it on hold so that they can file for the necessary permits.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,716 times
Also most towns allow the actual homeowner to do plumbing and electrical work.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
It's a shame that it is so convoluted to get a simple hot water heater installed. Where I've lived the licensed plumber come and does the work plus obtains the permit (@$30.00) the county accepts their word as a licensed expert that the job was done to standards.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 PM

852 posts, read 968,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
It's a shame that it is so convoluted to get a simple hot water heater installed. Where I've lived the licensed plumber come and does the work plus obtains the permit (@$30.00) the county accepts their word as a licensed expert that the job was done to standards.
Yeah, so what the hell is the purpose of the permit, other than to transfer your money to them?

Old 02-09-2016, 04:39 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Yeah, so what the hell is the purpose of the permit, other than to transfer your money to them?
Documentation that the job was done legitimately otherwise in a failure the insurance company may say that the installation wasn't done correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island