Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 PM

345 posts, read 338,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Definitely not unique, but it has become a much greater problem over the past 5-10 years, between the Oxy and heroin. Or maybe it's the same but it's getting more press.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
It's heroin here and meth in flyover country. Not denying LI has an addiction problem, but it's not unique to Long Island AT ALL.
Is it getting worse? Maybe. Is the media overblowing it? Of course. Mainstream news media loves doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
As we all know, $250K a year on LI (especially in Nassau) is just middle class. And you get very little for your money on LI- vs. many other places, where you would be RICH making $250K a year, and be able to afford a huge house and all the goodies.

Oh, you can get that view on LI? FROM YOUR OWN WINDOW OR YARD? LOL!!!! Hilarious! More like: Drive 40 or 50 miles to a big park, at a time when it will not be crowded, and pay a fee to enter, and drive through and see the view for a few seconds. I'm talking about OWNING it and living in it, 24/7.

I drove past one of Barbara Streissand's houses in Short Beach (or whatever it's called up there...near St. James) SHE doesn't even have that kind of view! You simply can't see that far and wide on LI without seeing man-made structures. And tell me that you can see cows and deer and coyotes, etc. from your window.

See above. And thank you, you're damn right I can keep it- It's paid for, and the taxes are little more than a couple of tanks of gas for my truck. Hope you can keep yours in the next crash/recession...or this might be your view:

Might want to start saving those cans now.....
Ok, well a few things here. I couldn't care less what you "think" is middle class. You're really reaching. If your view of middle class is a living in a VERY upscale Nassau community in a moderate sized home with two new cars, sure, $250k it is. You should look up the difference between "mean" and median."

Drive an hour to a park? I drive 6-7 minutes to a 140 acre preserve, park there for free, and have had the place to myself and my dog at least once a week since December. Another 5 minutes on top of that I have access to a 627 acre park.

Upstate or Suffolk? Can you really tell?

That picture of the boat I posted? About a mile away. I can walk 1/4 mile down the road and be on the Nissequogue. I'm living in a middle class, working community. Actually, I can see across the river to Short beach if I stand in the middle of the road in winter when there is no tree coverage. Is it my backyard? No, but according to that fence it isn't yours either.

I really don't want to see cows (they stink) or coyotes (my dog likes to hang outside at night). I'd rather work hard and play harder on LI to make the life I want, than to just give up and live in a trailer in east bumble****. You're jaded, and it shows. I'm sorry you couldn't make it. I'm counting on housing to stay not-so-great for a while. I'll get a great mortgage rate! Buyer's market right now, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
maybe you should stop making stuff up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I wasn't. There were a few articles about coyote sightings on the island. Some with pictures.
Yup, pictures of them crossing the NYC bridges too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
EZ pass?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 PM

24 posts, read 26,264 times
Thanks for all the responses.

After reading through 5 pages, it looks like South Carolina has more in common with Long Island than I originally thought. Wild Coyotes running around, bad traffic, great restaurants, and a few crazies living in doublewides......lol!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:09 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I wasn't. There were a few articles about coyote sightings on the island. Some with pictures.
On the east end? Now, about those rattlesnakes...?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:12 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
2.5x the current median income here is middle class? You're drinking again, aren't you? Top 3% of income earners in the country. And that's about what... $13k/mo. after taxes, and people don't have expenses even half that a month.

You're not making $250k elsewhere without a metric-crap-ton of hard work, so there's that disconnect too.

Out east there are plenty of open fields with houses that stare at them all day long. Plenty of people (like tourists and day-visitors) drive past them every day. I don't even know why this is desirable HERE, but there you go. OMG, you're not special!

Umm no I didn't. Don't even have to strike that job lottery, believe me. The point was, if they were making $70k in Carolina and $250k here, then there won't be "quality of life will be WAY down". Mr. Deep Thinker just likes spewing the same crap without thinking at all.
But all his neighbors in East Overshoe believe his nonsense so he's convinced.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
On the east end? Now, about those rattlesnakes...?
Yes east end. There is a photo somebody got of one in the Hamptons.
A juvenile timber rattler was sighted somewhere in the pine barrens a few years ago.
I found this stuff randomly messing around on Google.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
If your view of middle class is a living in a VERY upscale Nassau community in a moderate sized home with two new cars, sure, $250k it is. You should look up the difference between "mean" and median.
Mean family income in Nassau is $125K. Median incomes are useful as a general rule, but with an aging population it will skew things downward. Also people in their 50's and beyond are more likely to have purchased a home when the prices were much lower and have paid off their mortgage. This will also reduce the income needed to support themselves.

In Nassau County, the largest population group is the 50-59 range (around 15% of the population). Nearly 40% of the population is over 50. A quarter is under the age of 20. Ironically, the lowest group of people under 70 falls in the 30-39 range, which are people who should be in their prime earning years.

I won't debate that the median (or mean) income is much higher than the rest of the US, or even dispute that anyone making $250K, even on Long Island, is starving. But according to Newsday, a family of 4 needs an income of close to $100K nowadays to "just make ends meet" (meaning pay the bills and save money in a retirement plan, save for college, etc.). When the median income equals this number it shows that a lot of families aren't raking it in.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I won't debate that the median (or mean) income is much higher than the rest of the US, or even dispute that anyone making $250K, even on Long Island, is starving. But according to Newsday, a family of 4 needs an income of close to $100K nowadays to "just make ends meet" (meaning pay the bills and save money in a retirement plan, save for college, etc.). When the median income equals this number it shows that a lot of families aren't raking it in.
We had a lengthy discussion in another thread confirming $100k is just about where you need to be by hashing out monthly expense numbers. That is the middle class. Upper-middle in many other parts of the US.

I was the one who mentioned "raking it in" and I used the $250k figure. It was in comparison to Carolina. Still, this does not mean excessive, own-a-helicopter-and-mansion wealth, obviously. Even at $150k the OP could live comfortably as long as they don't overextend on their mortgage. Many 20-30-somethings do that today. We have NYC jobs/competition. It is not always about teachers and cops even though that makes it easier in terms of commute. From experience, ourselves and friends (majority who work and live there), NYC high-paying jobs aren't necessarily stressful. From LI, you just have to be willing to put in the time to commute and remain there. Nassau works for a lot of families because of this.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-11-2016 at 07:01 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
that's 2.5 years ago...and there doesn't appear to have been a single confirmed sighting since then. Where are all of these alleged media reports?

Old 02-11-2016, 09:06 AM

29 posts, read 29,261 times
Eastern Long Island is so diverse in lifestyle: great beaches, restaurants, there is something for everyone depending on your affordability, culture and desires. It's also a relative short ride if you have to commute into the city for work. The negative side, as mentioned before, is that taxes can be high. Living in the city for years, both Brooklyn and Queens, I personally found Eastern Long Island the best match for raising my family and find the negative outweigh the positives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island