Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times

Advertisements

Exactly what the title says. This is something i've realized. Certain towns/areas of Long Island have such an upstate feel to them. By this I mean all or some of the following:

-Rural settings
-winding roads
-slower moving people
-strange looking people
-planning/zoning of towns more similar to towns upstate

A good example is the town I live in, Kings Park. Not only are parts of it very spacious/rural, but there are a bunch of odd little businesses that remind me of small upstate towns. Also the layout of it isn't very Long Island-ish. Instead of being overun with big named stores or strip malls with nail salons/pizzerias, it is more spaced out with stand alone bars and little stores.

Main Street looks like yor typical upstate downtown - small, and again not many commercial businesses. The only ones I can think of are Subway and Carvel. Also, the areas immediately outside of downtown are much older, historical looking homes that are close together (common upstate), while there are large parcels of empty land further away (by the old hospital)

This seems to be harder and harder to find on LI, seeing as most towns with mom and pop filled downtowns, often still have an area/road with big named stores. (Think Downtown Riverhead VS. Route 58).

Thoughts? been meaning to post a thread about this for a while.

Last edited by ydsavaged; 02-10-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Cold Spring Harbor comes to my mind. Roslyn village too. I am not agreeing to the strange people part though. Perhaps a little different that I, but not strange to me.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:44 AM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Bellport Village feels pretty New England-y.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM

345 posts, read 338,565 times
KP is predominately blue collars, which helps the vibe for sure. Every other driveway has a boat in it. Places like CSH and other places west are too snooty for the upstate vibe... Anywhere out east gets you it for sure, that includes the lifted pickups and country music.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
KP is predominately blue collars, which helps the vibe for sure. Every other driveway has a boat in it. Places like CSH and other places west are too snooty for the upstate vibe... Anywhere out east gets you it for sure, that includes the lifted pickups and country music.
Aside from Fort Salonga and the area northwest of Old Dock... yes, blue collar. Although the whole feeling vanishes when you see the beautiful views of the sound from so many areas of KP.

Totally agree with the East end bit though, (aside from the Hamptons and NOFO of course), although Springs section of E. Hampton is nothing to write home about, pretty bumpkin-y IMO. Calverton really hits home with the upstate vibes, farms and all...

Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Riverhead feels just like an upstate city

Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
A friend of mine lives in Yaphank and it definitely has more of an upstate vibe... complete with local gun range and corn fields in her neighborhood. East Patchogue, maybe Ridge?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
A friend of mine lives in Yaphank and it definitely has more of an upstate vibe... complete with local gun range and corn fields in her neighborhood. East Patchogue, maybe Ridge?
Definitely Yaphank, good one. Ridge too...but moree like rural upstae, pretty desolate, no town center either.

Obviously out east has more...but I guess I was really trying to say that it's much more rare in Western Suffolk, so Kings Park really stands out to me. Parts of Smithtown too (Landing).

Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Historic Roslyn looks like a little quaint New England town. The people are typical North Shore Island though.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Historic Roslyn looks like a little quaint New England town. The people are typical North Shore Island though.
Maybe I should change the thread to "towns with beautiful New England vibes".

I was going for more of the not so nice upstate vibes, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island