Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 8,979 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing as a quick eviction I live in W babylon NY suffolk county Long Island. Without going thru the courts and legal fees our tenant is a heavy drinker we found out about pills and she is bi polar she threatens to burn down the house she breaks things what can we do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 06:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,180,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denise64 View Post
Is there such a thing as a quick eviction I live in W babylon NY suffolk county Long Island. Without going thru the courts and legal fees our tenant is a heavy drinker we found out about pills and she is bi polar she threatens to burn down the house she breaks things what can we do
No, you will have to go through the court system.

If you want quick and no legal fees, the best thing to do is to encourage her to leave voluntarily as soon as possible. I have heard of landlords paying the tenant to leave.

Another thought. If she makes threats like this and generally goes berserk, perhaps you should call the police and have them come take a look at her, especially while she is drunk and/or stoned. Be sure and record her threats. For instance, have someone with a cell phone that can make a video record her, even if not pointing the camera at her, but just for the sound of her voice threatening to burn your house down. If you can prove to the authorities that she is dangerous, perhaps you will be able to get a restraining order against her, which would mean she cannot live there anymore.

Good luck! Next time check references from former landlords, credit check, and background (criminal) check any prospective tenants.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 8,752 times
Does anyone know if there is a landlord association for Nassau county?I am landlord of a small property and I am tired of being burned by the tenants and the system.I am starting to write a letter to the town officials,that the bill for tenant rights needs to be reviewed or overturned.Clearly we as landlords are the ones treated like the criminals,and after being taken advantage of I have had enough.This process I am currently in has taken 3 months already and now I have to wait between 6-8 weeks more for the sheriff to come down,Where are our rights?Law abiding citizens that pay taxes,taxes which take care of dead beats!
Why should these tenants leave,they know the system and if they do not know the system they are clearly informed at court when they are appointed council.
I would like to start a petition to have this bill over turned or modified,with some rights for us landlords.
Interesting that Obama has [passed a No eviction notice in Phoenix,tenants are given 15 minutes to get out with their stuff!
So I was hoping I could find other landlords that would like to come on board,the worst that can happen is nothing,but someone needs to have this challenged,and as they say there is force in numbers.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,173 times
Just found your post. I'm going through the same thing. I can't get my tenant out. My process has been 6 months, ongoing, and i'm waiting 6-8 weeks before the sheriff will evict. Only problem is, the tenant can get a " stay " and hold up the eviction even longer.
Your right, there are thousands of poor *******s, like us, who are being abused by the legal system.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM

6 posts, read 20,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrs1 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a landlord association for Nassau county?I am landlord of a small property and I am tired of being burned by the tenants and the system.I am starting to write a letter to the town officials,that the bill for tenant rights needs to be reviewed or overturned.Clearly we as landlords are the ones treated like the criminals,and after being taken advantage of I have had enough.This process I am currently in has taken 3 months already and now I have to wait between 6-8 weeks more for the sheriff to come down,Where are our rights?Law abiding citizens that pay taxes,taxes which take care of dead beats!
Why should these tenants leave,they know the system and if they do not know the system they are clearly informed at court when they are appointed council.
I would like to start a petition to have this bill over turned or modified,with some rights for us landlords.
Interesting that Obama has [passed a No eviction notice in Phoenix,tenants are given 15 minutes to get out with their stuff!
So I was hoping I could find other landlords that would like to come on board,the worst that can happen is nothing,but someone needs to have this challenged,and as they say there is force in numbers.
I totally agree with you. It is not right for certain people to take advantage, going from place to place intentionally not paying rent. Or having to worry about your safety waiting 3+ months to properly remove a violent and/or drug addicted tenant. Something should be done, however, I was evicted a few years ago due to no fault of my own. The landlord didn't comply with the town (I had NO knowledge of anything illegal) and he wound up getting caught. Then out of nowhere one day I get a 30 day notice which happened to come at a very hard time financially for me. It was pure hell. So scary to try and find a new place, get everything together and move within a couple of weeks! Not to mention the money, first and last months rent, security, moving vehicle and movers. I paid my rent in full and on time every month, and here I was being thrown out with no place to go. Everyone I went to for help basically said "Well, you got to move". It did seem that in Suffolk they are more for the landlord while I hear that in Nassau they are more for the tenant. Anyway what I'm saying is that I feel they should definitely put some laws in effect to help the landlords in tough situations, but sometimes the landlord is at fault and the tenant should be helped as much as possible too.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 PM

137 posts, read 353,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcatrainer View Post
tenants have rights even deadbeat tenants.

According to this lawyer at Long Island Eviction Lawyers in Nassau Suffolk County LI Queens NY Brooklyn Landlord Tenant Disputes

"Following an appropriate predicate notice, a landlord may bring a summary non-payment court proceeding against a tenant who fails to pay the agreed rent when due and to recover rent owed. A landlord may bring a summary holdover eviction proceeding if a tenant holds over passed his lease term or a tenant significantly violates a substantial obligation under the lease. To evict a tenant, a landlord must obtain a judgment of possession and a warrant to evict. This can only be done through the courts. No landlord is entitled to utilize “self help” in New York.

A landlord cannot use threats of violence, remove a tenant's possessions, illegally lockout, or discontinue essential services such as water or heat. If you are a tenant who feels your rights are being infringed upon by your landlord and you have been served with legal papers or if you are a landlord who has tenants that are in violation of their lease terms, are chronic late payers or owe you rent, call the Law Office of Ezratty, Ezratty & Levine, LLP at (888) 49 NY LAW or (516) 747-5566."

and here: Nassau County Legislature - District 2 Press Releases states:
"[SIZE=2]The law establishes procedures for the removal of property during the execution of warrants of eviction by the Nassau County Sheriff, including the storage of an evicted person's property at a storage warehouse for 30 days subsequent to the eviction.[/SIZE]"

Thes best thing to do is "contact the Nassau County Sheriff's Office 516 571 2113" Nassau County Sheriff's Department

no, but you are allowed to, by law, to remove the possessions after the eviction date.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 8,023 times
Finally people who are feeling like I am. I am a landlord and have a bad tenant. I just started eviction process. Her 30 days is up in a few days, but she's not scard. Hasn't packed a thing. Has actually been sunbathing in my driveway while I'm at work supporting her. Tell me, what is wrong with this picture???? I've been doing a lot of research and most of what I find benefits the tenant. I'm looking to start some sort of landlord support group or organization in Suffolk County. If anyone is interested, please contact me jda915@aol.com (subject: landlord support) Thanks.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,454 times
what about a landlord who never tells you the place you just rented in May1 2010 was in foreclosure.It is now tomorrow Aug 1 and he is telling us we have to move because house going to auction Sept 15. We pay month to month but if he TOLD US THE HOUSE WAS IN FORECLOSURE we would have NEVER moved in Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanfarrell View Post
what about a landlord who never tells you the place you just rented in May1 2010 was in foreclosure.It is now tomorrow Aug 1 and he is telling us we have to move because house going to auction Sept 15. We pay month to month but if he TOLD US THE HOUSE WAS IN FORECLOSURE we would have NEVER moved in Thanks for any advice.
You could simply refuse to move. The new landlord (the bank) would have to go through the eviction process to get you out. However, if you have other options the least stressful approach would be to find another place.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 7,409 times
WHAT ABOUT US POOR TENANTS WITH SLUMLORDS? BOO HOO YOU. I have paid my rent every month for over 2 1/2 yrs. I have sent letters & pictures of all that is wrong & all that needs to repaired to my landlord & I am ignored. I have had water leaking in through the meter to the circuit breaker. Causing water & mold damage to my belongings. I thought it was fixed. WRONG! They just had someone come to LOOK AT IT! Not to mention it's a fire hazard. Water leaking in through the patio above the garage all over everything stored there & into the ceiling light. The one outlet that is down there is rotted away from water. I got a nice shock not knowing this. Then the ceiling started leaking filling up the kitchen ceiling globe. I was Ignored again. Then it went to the bathroom ceiling. I saved the phone MSG PROMISING it would be fixed IMMEDIATELY. WELL IT HASN'T BEEN. Now its leaking in between the 2 front rooms ever time it rains. Ignored again.. The stairs collapsed out from under me causing me to hurt my hip while shoveling snow. They knew all the cement work needed to be repaired & did nothing.. I am told to put a rope up so no one else falls & use the back door. HOW SWEET OF THEM!!
My faucet shoots water all over the sink. I have floods behind my refrigerator. The screens I have are ripped but he majority are missing , I have broken storm windows, rotted wood, mold in BR & you are complaining. I HELD BACK my rent finally, even after reporting them to Riverhead TOWN.. WHOM NEVER SHOWED UP. Great help they are. So now what happens? I AM BEING EVICTED WITH NO PLACE TO GO because these money hungry low lives don't want to fix the house I HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR all this time. I have transformed this place from a rundown dump into a nice looking home to be treated like this? They own nothing on this place.. it was inherited. ITS POCKET $$ & that is all they want. I have no pity for you landlords. I am tired of being screwed by landlords & being robbed of my money for dumps. I am a good tenant & I cant find a rental due to having a GOOD DOG & a PC of crap landlord.
So the courts side with the TENANTS HUH? What bubble are you living in? I have until 9/15 & I am out on the street with my dog. Thanks for nothing NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island