U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
1,288 posts, read 4,136,523 times
Reputation: 279

Advertisements

Anyone know about this in more detail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
 
2 posts, read 50,554 times
Reputation: 17
You need to contact the Nassau County Sheriff's Office 516 571 2113 They can give you a form with all the requirements. You need a licensed and insured mover physically based with storage in Nassau County (not a self storage). You also need to prepay storage for 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Massapequa, NY
1,056 posts, read 656,382 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcatrainer View Post
You need a licensed and insured mover physically based with storage in Nassau County (not a self storage). You also need to prepay storage for 30 days.
no, you dont have to. if you do it yourself, you dont have to hire anyone. then leave the stuff at the curb. then put an ad on craigslist and list it as "curb alert" for all to take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 04:04 PM
 
2 posts, read 50,554 times
Reputation: 17
tenants have rights even deadbeat tenants.

According to this lawyer at Long Island Eviction Lawyers in Nassau Suffolk County LI Queens NY Brooklyn Landlord Tenant Disputes

"Following an appropriate predicate notice, a landlord may bring a summary non-payment court proceeding against a tenant who fails to pay the agreed rent when due and to recover rent owed. A landlord may bring a summary holdover eviction proceeding if a tenant holds over passed his lease term or a tenant significantly violates a substantial obligation under the lease. To evict a tenant, a landlord must obtain a judgment of possession and a warrant to evict. This can only be done through the courts. No landlord is entitled to utilize “self help” in New York.

A landlord cannot use threats of violence, remove a tenant's possessions, illegally lockout, or discontinue essential services such as water or heat. If you are a tenant who feels your rights are being infringed upon by your landlord and you have been served with legal papers or if you are a landlord who has tenants that are in violation of their lease terms, are chronic late payers or owe you rent, call the Law Office of Ezratty, Ezratty & Levine, LLP at (888) 49 NY LAW or (516) 747-5566."


and here: Nassau County Legislature - District 2 Press Releases states:
"[SIZE=2]The law establishes procedures for the removal of property during the execution of warrants of eviction by the Nassau County Sheriff, including the storage of an evicted person's property at a storage warehouse for 30 days subsequent to the eviction.[/SIZE]"

Thes best thing to do is "contact the Nassau County Sheriff's Office 516 571 2113" Nassau County Sheriff's Department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 PM
 
13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
Reputation: 9962
You need to contact the local authorities or a lawyer in the area. Information posted here should not be substituted for legal advice
__________________
"
You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
Robert Louis Stevenson

********************************
Post link not copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 8,048,152 times
Reputation: 3938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
Anyone know about this in more detail?

Wouldn't the court have a handbook for Landlord/Tenant matters? You can also do some basic online research through Google.

Not sure if you're a landlord who is looking to start an eviction process or if you already have a judgement or if you're a tenant who is about to get evicted or have a court date coming up.

Either way, you should know the law and your legal rights in this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Massapequa, NY
1,056 posts, read 656,382 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcatrainer View Post
tenants have rights even deadbeat tenants.

According to this lawyer at Long Island Eviction Lawyers in Nassau Suffolk County LI Queens NY Brooklyn Landlord Tenant Disputes

"Following an appropriate predicate notice, a landlord may bring a summary non-payment court proceeding against a tenant who fails to pay the agreed rent when due and to recover rent owed. A landlord may bring a summary holdover eviction proceeding if a tenant holds over passed his lease term or a tenant significantly violates a substantial obligation under the lease. To evict a tenant, a landlord must obtain a judgment of possession and a warrant to evict. This can only be done through the courts. No landlord is entitled to utilize “self help” in New York.

A landlord cannot use threats of violence, remove a tenant's possessions, illegally lockout, or discontinue essential services such as water or heat. If you are a tenant who feels your rights are being infringed upon by your landlord and you have been served with legal papers or if you are a landlord who has tenants that are in violation of their lease terms, are chronic late payers or owe you rent, call the Law Office of Ezratty, Ezratty & Levine, LLP at (888) 49 NY LAW or (516) 747-5566."


and here: Nassau County Legislature - District 2 Press Releases states:
"[SIZE=2]The law establishes procedures for the removal of property during the execution of warrants of eviction by the Nassau County Sheriff, including the storage of an evicted person's property at a storage warehouse for 30 days subsequent to the eviction.[/SIZE]"

Thes best thing to do is "contact the Nassau County Sheriff's Office 516 571 2113" Nassau County Sheriff's Department
you could removie it YOURSELF on the day of eviction. it will save you a lot of money by not having to hire an outside source. you have no responsiblity of the belongs on the day of eviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Huntington
887 posts, read 1,859,747 times
Reputation: 464
Go to the library and read through a couple of landlording books - there should be books pertaining to NY state (Nolo). They ought to answer most of your basic questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Huntington, NY
7,738 posts, read 10,854,424 times
Reputation: 3481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Go to the library and read through a couple of landlording books - there should be books pertaining to NY state (Nolo). They ought to answer most of your basic questions.

Here's a link to nolo.com re tenant eviction:

How Evictions Work: Rules for Landlords and Property Managers (http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/catId/1F6840E5-5262-46EA-9347E71F16315DE3/objectId/50ABA868-D067-409C-9EFEED80B510C425/213/178/117/ART/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 AM
 
252 posts, read 425,996 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcatrainer View Post
You need to contact the Nassau County Sheriff's Office 516 571 2113 They can give you a form with all the requirements. You need a licensed and insured mover physically based with storage in Nassau County (not a self storage). You also need to prepay storage for 30 days.
Yep. The County will provide you with a list of approved storage companies. My friend went through the eviction process and it is heavily skewed towards the tenant. You are in for a long process. The storage is mandatory so long as the sheriff removes the person on the actual eviction date. It cost my friend $1000 for 30 days. Again it must be on the county approved list. Many times the tenants will move out before this, but if not you have to pay. This is in addition to the lost rent revenue and related court/sheriff costs. You cannot remove the items yourself on the day of the eviction....county protocol is to have the storage company already set up AND paid before the sheriff will enforce the eviction notice. The storage people will show up with the sheriff and they and only they will remove the belongings from the property while the sheriff handles the removal of the persons.

My advice to anyone who has a problem with a tenant is to file the papers with the court as soon as the problem arises. So if the tenant doesnt pay by say the 3rd day of the month..you need to start the eviction process because of the time involved and rent money that will be lost. If you provide utilities, heat, be aware that NOTHING can be cut off even if your tenant does not pay. They can call the cops and they will tell you to turn things back on (I remember telling my friend to simply not pay the electric bill, how can the county force you to pay it). Many tenants run schemes because the law is in their favor and they can live somewhere rent free for 2-3 months.

Many people on the Island learn the hard way because they are renting out part of their primary home and have to deal with the tenant constantly...its a risk of renting in your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top