Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 5,991 times

Advertisements

I tried searching the forums and there is very little info on this topic. We are moving to Garden City soon and are considering both St. Annes and St. Josephs. Is one school better than the other or are they relatively the same? Anyone have any thoughts? I'm specifically curious about the level of academics, class size, and activities. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 AM

402 posts, read 518,263 times
I dont know anyone that has attended Saint Joseph's but i know plenty of people who have attended Saint Anne's. I have never heard of any complaints and seems the majority attend Kellenberg/Holy Trinity for high school.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:45 AM

402 posts, read 518,263 times
Btw- have you ever considered Saint Thomas? Those students typically frequent Chaminade and Kellenberg.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 AM

We are just looking at those two schools because they are both relatively close to where we will live. I've heard a lot about St. Annes but it seems that St. Joseph's has more activities for their students.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:56 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I've known people at both, my kids did pre-school at St. Anne's. Both have very strong family-school associations. St. Anne's has a very down to earth population. Most of the kids are not from Garden City, if that matters to you. Also, most people stick to their parish base - so if you live on the St. Joe's side of town, you're probably better off there and vice versa. When my kids were of First Communion age, most people preferred St. Anne's way of doing it (at a dedicated mass on a Saturday where the parents go up with the child) vs. St. Joe's (during a regular Sunday mass and the kids go up by themselves).

I'd go with whichever is closer, it's really overthinking it otherwise IMHO.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:38 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
^^Spot on. My hubby is from St. Anne's and has many friends from St. Joe's. He still has family members that go to St. Anne's.
I will elaborate further and state this is DH's feeling & comes from growing up there from infancy til adulthood.
The middle class GC is from St. Anne's, the upper crust are from St. Joe's. As I said, fact, maybe, maybe not, just his take on it.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 02-16-2016 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 06:49 AM

So it seems safe to say that neither school is academically stronger than the other. We are repatriating back to the US after many years in Asia. The kids go to a very strong international school and we want to make sure they end up in an academically solid school.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:34 AM

104 posts, read 151,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat2016 View Post
So it seems safe to say that neither school is academically stronger than the other. We are repatriating back to the US after many years in Asia. The kids go to a very strong international school and we want to make sure they end up in an academically solid school.
LOL then why not Garden City Public Schools? One of top 5, if not #1, in the entire state.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Neither school struck me as being stronger than GC Punlic schools. If you want a private school without danger of any attitude I would pick St. Anne's.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Neither school struck me as being stronger than GC Punlic schools. If you want a private school without danger of any attitude I would pick St. Anne's.
GC has terrific, elite, schools, and you're paying for them anyway, so why not use them? Plus, your child can make more local friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island