Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,527,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
3 bdrms over there are minimum .5M; if you do find something lower than that, either it will have to be a gut rehab or tenants are in place.
I consider $500k for a Manhattan 3br a steal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 02:36 PM

92 posts, read 127,105 times
Staten Island, here is one right by the ferry:
138 Crescent Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Legal apt on first floor to help pay down your mortgage quickly.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/22...?referer=&_r=0

Old 03-14-2016, 05:13 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,998,027 times
Quote:
For you personally? What conveniences do you need in a neighborhood? What conveniences are you willing to do without?
No, not for me personally, since I'm not currently planning to move to the city (nor do I currently make $100,000 per year anyway). I was just asking in general.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:22 PM

33,656 posts, read 46,921,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
No, not for me personally, since I'm not currently planning to move to the city (nor do I currently make $100,000 per year anyway). I was just asking in general.
Oh ok. There are places in the city where it's doable, but you will be making a compromise. As somebody previously pointed out, the listing I posted is nowhere near a subway. You would have to take a bus to the train. I work in TriBeCa and I put in my work address trying to see how long it would take to commute from the listing. 58 minutes. But that can easily be prolonged due to traffic or bad weather because you have to take a bus to the subway. Not to mention that I don't even know the consistency of that particular bus route.

So it can be done, but you won't get everything on the proverbial list, so to speak.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-14-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhlschrank View Post
Staten Island, here is one right by the ferry:
138 Crescent Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Legal apt on first floor to help pay down your mortgage quickly.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/22...?referer=&_r=0
That Crescent Avenue house is in a :-( neighborhood, majority of those on the LI forum will not entertain this type of listing. That's why I posted the Brooklyn one with the low crime area.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:38 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,878,346 times
Quote:
That Crescent Avenue house is in a :-( neighborhood, majority of those on the LI forum will not entertain this type of listing. That's why I posted the Brooklyn one with the low crime area.
I'd quit wasting my time if I were you. Unless you find him a job with a new 10 min drive he is not going to entertain the thought.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I'd quit wasting my time if I were you. Unless you find him a job with a new 10 min drive he is not going to entertain the thought.
Maybe I can sway him with offering a reverse commute from the city to LI for work - no traffic

Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,998,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I never said that. I said that I don't currently have the need to move to NYC, so I don't have the need to make any of the sacrifices that you and others are referring to. If I do lose my job and want to move to the city, what sacrifices I will or won't be willing to make will depend on where I am in life by that point, so it's not something that I am able to answer now.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:01 PM

92 posts, read 127,105 times
Quote:
I beg to differ; That neighborhood is affordable now and is rapidly gentrifying due to the mega Ferris wheel and the proximity to the ferry. This particular house backs up to a primary school and is across the street from a park. But it seems we are both wasting our breath. Cheers to you for offering constructive advice! ��

A Happening Place on Staten Island - WSJ

Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,777,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The fact that you call people who post on Glass Door "whiners" says a lot about you (and no, I have never posted on Glass Door).
People who are generally happy or content don't find a need to rate the everyday parts of their lives. On the other hand, people who are unhappy and wish to complain about their lives rather than effect a change are most often those who make negative comments. So, yes, whiners. Now tell me what that says about me since you seem to have all the answers - even if you have to make them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island