Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM

147 posts, read 433,508 times

Advertisements

The trees will be purchased about 5 ft tall. Is it hard to do? Do I need to fasten them down? They are Emerald Arborvitaes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:23 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
If you're planting a lot of them close together, consider digging a trench instead of individual holes. Will make it easier to adjust the spacing. You can also rent a power auger to help with the digging. They shouldn't need any bracing.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:46 PM

147 posts, read 433,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
If you're planting a lot of them close together, consider digging a trench instead of individual holes. Will make it easier to adjust the spacing. You can also rent a power auger to help with the digging. They shouldn't need any bracing.

Great! So its just easy as 1-2-3? The landscapers want to charge me 3 times the cost of the trees to get it done.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
Great! So its just easy as 1-2-3? The landscapers want to charge me 3 times the cost of the trees to get it done.
I't's work I planted 6.5ft Leylands last year. I bought a cheap bulb auger for like $20 put it on my drill mayde all the holes in a circle then dug by hand. You could do a trench as suggested but if your spacing them it makes no sense. You will need some starter fertilizer and peat moss. take a weekend and you will get it done not worth paying $60 a tree to have installed. I did 9 trees total in a weekend, those 5 footers weight more than you think.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:13 PM

122 posts, read 266,930 times
Hmm I have to do the same thing. How much does a 5 ft one cost and where do you buy these?

If i'm planting one, just dig a hole and put tree in and fill back with new soil, that easy?

Sorry to hijack thread

Old 03-07-2016, 02:42 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,005 times
Living fence rules apply in Nassau, Meaning you have a four foot fence restriction you cant plant a row of six foot trees to block off for privacy. The row still cant be more than four feet higher or you can do every other spot a six foot tree to give partial privacy.

if someone complains they get all ripped out.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:33 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heuerfan View Post
Hmm I have to do the same thing. How much does a 5 ft one cost and where do you buy these?

If i'm planting one, just dig a hole and put tree in and fill back with new soil, that easy?

Sorry to hijack thread
I purchased my Leylands here last year, best price around even w/ the $100 delivery fee to nassau suffolk border.

http://www.stablesgardencenter.com/

Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyziggy View Post
It's not difficult besides some manual labor. Cut the string on the root balls and add some Plant Tone after they're where you want them. Run a soaker hose around all the shrubs. Stables Garden Center out east is a great, reasonably priced nursery.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,615 times
After you've planted your trees correctly, it's crucial that they're watered correctly the first season, otherwise you'll lose some of them. After the first season of watering, you're good to go. The roots will spread out and you won't need to water them anymore.

I had two Kwanzan cherry trees professionally planted by Martin Viette a few years ago. I made it a point to ask the tree men about watering. Their recommendation was to water every three to four days at the base of the tree, and fill the well at the bottom of the tree with roughly a gallon of water (assuming you'll be making wells at the bases otherwise just water with a gallon or so at the base).

I dragged hoses around our backyard from May to the beginning of October, watering every Wednesday and Sunday.

If you use a drip hose, it's like watering the tree with an eye dropper. The trees will begin to turn brown in a matter of a couple of weeks due to lack of water. Trees 5 ft. high need lots of water.

And, btw, watering too much can cause root rot, so twice a week is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by AndreaII; 03-07-2016 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 06:22 PM

55 posts, read 78,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Living fence rules apply in Nassau, Meaning you have a four foot fence restriction you cant plant a row of six foot trees to block off for privacy. The row still cant be more than four feet higher or you can do every other spot a six foot tree to give partial privacy.

if someone complains they get all ripped out.
I was just thinking about this today! I have 2 neighbors behind me 1/2 and 1/2. One neighbor has a row of about 10 privacy ferns about 6ft tall. I need to complete the other 1/2 for full-on sun bathing privacy for the summer.

Does this living fence rule apply to the backyard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: