Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,371 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all. How is the noise by the East Northport LIRR station ? I'm looking at homes about half a mile north of the Station and I'm wondering if the train is loud. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 06:23 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterg17 View Post
Hey y'all. How is the noise by the East Northport LIRR station ? I'm looking at homes about half a mile north of the Station and I'm wondering if the train is loud. Thanks !
You'll hear it but it's not that frequent and it's kind of pleasant at that distance. I grew up basically exactly where you're looking.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:40 PM

251 posts, read 588,834 times
yea, electric trains are more quiet than the diesels. A 1/2 mile would be plenty of distance to not notice it too much. That being said, it also depends a little on the way your house is situated compared to the direction that the trains are running.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 AM

215 posts, read 248,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
yea, electric trains are more quiet than the diesels.
Electric trains stop at Huntington. Everything east to Port Jeff is diesel.

I grew up about a block from the Huntington station and didn't mind the noise. Actually missed it once I finally moved further away...

But Northport station isn't as busy and a 1/2 mile is a good distance away...

Old 03-14-2016, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,371 times
ok thanks for the great information. How is that area anyway? It seems really nice when I was there, but the trulia Crime map shows some Red and Orange areas right there. Any feedback on crime in that area? Its seems great. . .

Old 03-14-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterg17 View Post
ok thanks for the great information. How is that area anyway? It seems really nice when I was there, but the trulia Crime map shows some Red and Orange areas right there. Any feedback on crime in that area? Its seems great. . .
High crime? Nonsense. It's a nice area. Can you be more specific on the location? North of the train tracks, but on which side of Larkfield/Vernon Valley Road?

Old 03-14-2016, 05:08 PM

8 posts, read 6,301 times
bump. North of train tracks and left of Larkfield, VV Road.

So, diesel trains, but the noise may not be as bad cause its 1/2 mile away.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by styzzz View Post
bump. North of train tracks and left of Larkfield, VV Road.

So, diesel trains, but the noise may not be as bad cause its 1/2 mile away.
Ok. I grew up on the other side. Both sides are quiet middle class neighborhoods. That area would be zoned for Dickinson Ave Elementary School, may go either way but probably Northport Middle School, and Northport High School.

I really like the Northport-East Northport area. You may also want to check out Kings Park, especially if highway access is important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island