Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:42 AM

26 posts, read 55,882 times

Advertisements

I self installed an alarm system in my house a few years back and never had any issues with false alarms. I wasn't aware that I had to pay Nassau County $100 every two years for the right to use an alarm. About a month ago we had a false alarm and I received a letter stating I owed Nassau County $250.

Fine, my fault for not looking into this. I'll pay. The payment was due Tuesday, 3/8. I sent payment in on Friday, 3/4. The check was never cashed, and today I received a letter stating I now owe $350, and I must "immediately" remit payment or I will be subject to increased penalties. Lovely that they don't define a time period for payment, and that they don't define what the additional penalties will be.

I admit not getting the permit is on me, but apparently it takes more than 3 days to send a letter from Levittown to Westbury? I can't walk in and pay, so what's to stop the office from stating they never got the letter and tacking on more fines?

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:51 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
If you self install a dog, does that count as an alarm system?

Old 03-17-2016, 09:54 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
/\

Perhaps, but if it barks for no reason is that a false alarm they can fine you for...

Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,803 times
I payed for the $100 alarm permit fee when I had ADT installed last year. Had one false alarm and cops showed up. So although its extortion, its better than getting the $250 ticket. False alarms happen. Even for true alarms, they can still ticket you if do buy the permit.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
^ they don't ticket for false alarms if you have a permit. We have gone through this multiple times with a faulty motion sensor. I can't recall but I think the cop gave us a warning though and they started taking longer to respond. I don't understand why you would say they ticket for actual alarms (emergencies) if you DO have a permit, unless you meant DON'T.

For the OP, generally speaking you have to give them more than 3 days to receive the letter because they probably get inundated with mail every day and are behind in manpower to review each case. It's probably a different person/group who sends out late notices so that's why you got another warning. They should still be able to see the postmark date on the envelope if they're honest to you about finding it now.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:41 PM

55 posts, read 78,370 times
If you have a permit, allegedly you can have up to 4 false alarms before you get penalized, I think $125/alarm.

With that said, your first false alarm, without a permit should've came with a warning.. (you had no idea you needed a permit!)

Old 03-17-2016, 01:07 PM

481 posts, read 665,743 times
Now I have to check with my husband to see if he applied the permit. We self installed the alarm system back in feb.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:52 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I got this letter a few days ago about getting an alarm permit. I guess it's required and better than getting a huge fine. Is this something new?? Because a few years ago I had 2 false alarms where the cops showed up and I did not get fined. It's a money scam IMO. BTW I have had my alarm for 13 years and no permit. The only reason they want this permit is so they don't have to respond to false calls because it interrupts their donut and coffee break time. LOL.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:54 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I have also had faulty motion sensor and I was home but my alarm company calls me first before sending the cops.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:54 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I got this letter a few days ago about getting an alarm permit. I guess it's required and better than getting a huge fine. Is this something new?? Because a few years ago I had 2 false alarms where the cops showed up and I did not get fined. It's a money scam IMO. BTW I have had my alarm for 13 years and no permit. The only reason they want this permit is so they don't have to respond to false calls because it interrupts their donut and coffee break time. LOL.
I don't believe there is an alarm permit for Suffolk residents. Only Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island