Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,982 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my wife and I are going to work in NYC, what region would be better to live between Rockland, Westchester and Long Island (Suffolk/Nassau)? We are thinking of buying a house, and our combined income is 160k. We are probably going to be hanging out in NYC every weekend, but still, I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Okay, so my wife and I are going to work in NYC, what region would be better to live between Rockland, Westchester and Long Island (Suffolk/Nassau)? We are thinking of buying a house, and our combined income is 160k. We are probably going to be hanging out in NYC every weekend, but still, I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks!
What are you looking for...this is quite broad a question. All areas are nice in their own way. Rockland would likely be the cheapest but the biggest pain to get to NYC...unless you look at Suffolk. Nassau and Westchester would be the most convenient for the most part.

...my daughter loves Mickey's clubhouse...

Old 02-11-2008, 01:18 PM

Well, I'm looking to settle. I can deal with being up to 50 minutes away from work. I want an okay neighborhood with good schools since I'm planning to have kids. I want to buy a house, but it don't have to be a big one....I'm okay with 2 bedrooms. In terms of transportation, I would like to rely on public transportation, but I don't mind driving to the nearest train station (I wouldn’t want to drive to work since I know parking is expensive $$$)....

The mickey mouse thing is because I despise Orlando, that's where I live now!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm looking to settle. I can deal with being up to 50 minutes away from work. I want an okay neighborhood with good schools since I'm planning to have kids. I want to buy a house, but it don't have to be a big one....I'm okay with 2 bedrooms. In terms of transportation, I would like to rely on public transportation, but I don't mind driving to the nearest train station (I wouldn’t want to drive to work since I know parking is expensive $$$)....

Ok, how much can you afford?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 PM

I can go up to 400 k. for a house (around 3500 a month).

Old 02-11-2008, 03:22 PM

For 400K in Westchester and Nassau, you will not be in a huge house, which is good that you said 2 BRs is fine. In Nassau, you would need to look into towns like:

Levittown (BEST CHOICE), East Meadow, Westbury. Maybe some random places in Rockville Centre, Wantagg or West Hempstead. I, personally, would not look into Elmont, Valley Stream, Roosevelt, Uniondale, or Hempstead.

In Westchester, I bet it's even less selection, with Yonkers jumping out at me.

If you could move into the $500K range, there would be more options.

As far as price, Rockland is your best bet.

Of course, you could get a co-op or condo in a lot more areas if that was acceptable.

On mlsli.com...there are 1000 homes from $350-$400, 2200 in Suffolk...of course, a lot of not so hot areas make up the bulk.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,153 times
Quote:

You could find something near 400 in areas like Bellmore, Wantagh and Seaford. Especially if you are okay with a smaller cape/ranch. If you are on the right train line you could be in the city in give or take an hour. The longer you wait the better off you will be in this market as well (IMO).

Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
You could find something near 400 in areas like Bellmore, Wantagh and Seaford. Especially if you are okay with a smaller cape/ranch. If you are on the right train line you could be in the city in give or take an hour. The longer you wait the better off you will be in this market as well (IMO).
True, but there's not much. Very little, perhaps doing a search up to $450 -$500K and talking them down is the best bet.

Though I know this is an LI board, what would you recommend as far as which country?

Also, to the original poster - why not Putnam, North Jersey or Fairfield, CT?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:37 PM

17 posts, read 120,404 times
forget about westchester for $400K. Not happening. I've lived here for 9 years and have waited and waited and waited for something livable for around $400K. Does. not. exist. in. westchester.

and, from what I've seen and read, the prices in westchester are not coming down like they are on long island.

hold on ... actually the ONLY exception which is a 55 minute train ride to grand central is Croton. Great town. Good schools.

otherwise, putnam is too far for you and much of fairfield county is out of your price range too. maybe stamford, ct. or I'd suggest norwalk, ct too.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:11 AM

313 posts, read 1,053,081 times
Putnam is quite far and while it's beautiful, I'd say it's almost "the middle of nowhere". It's also 80 minutes to Grand Central, which is kind of far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island