Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:08 AM

245 posts, read 278,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodude View Post
If any of you are tracking the impact that NextGen (airplane flight path for arrivals and departures, more arrivals) has on the Island, then you can see a giant horse-shoe worth of homes up for sale. Property value hasn't dropped all that much yet, but it definitely will once people figure out that Nassau county is an extension of JFK runways 22L/R.

The smart folks are selling, and the buyers are the suckers. Once the above has caught on, sellers won't be selling, anymore (unless for a deep discount).
Let's push this narrative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM

68 posts, read 76,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelChange2012 View Post
Popcorn is a poppin'!

Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 AM

55 posts, read 78,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelChange2012 View Post
well, separate from the high property tax, and among other reasons --- this 'new' development certainly can't HELP the market.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:40 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Newman View Post
Popcorn is a poppin'!
Isn't one thread enough for this?

We get a ton of planes where I live. I don't like it but it's a fact of life, living so close to JFK. It seems to me that the FAA tries to rotate the pain, though - really. Sometimes i go days without hearing a flight. Other days it is constant.

Very few homes for sale in my neighborhood. And the majority of those that are for sale look to be decrepit estate sales. The icy grip of death is the only thing that can pry many people from Gibson .

My wife and I were at Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay last weekend and as we were driving up Rt. 106 through Brookville, I noticed a surprising number of low flying planes, so at least the FAA is being economically democratic about things! I don't see too many people panic selling on the Gold Coast.

NY airspace is insanely busy. We're in one of the biggest, most economically significant urban areas in the world. The planes are everywhere. On the bright side, we live in a place where you can go to the airport and fly pretty much anywhere in the world you wish to go.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Isn't one thread enough for this?

We get a ton of planes where I live. I don't like it but it's a fact of life, living so close to JFK. It seems to me that the FAA tries to rotate the pain, though - really. Sometimes i go days without hearing a flight. Other days it is constant.

Very few homes for sale in my neighborhood. And the majority of those that are for sale look to be decrepit estate sales. The icy grip of death is the only thing that can pry many people from Gibson .

My wife and I were at Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay last weekend and as we were driving up Rt. 106 through Brookville, I noticed a surprising number of low flying planes, so at least the FAA is being economically democratic about things! I don't see too many people panic selling on the Gold Coast.

NY airspace is insanely busy. We're in one of the biggest, most economically significant urban areas in the world. The planes are everywhere. On the bright side, we live in a place where you can go to the airport and fly pretty much anywhere in the world you wish to go.
I hear ya.

Hey John McEnroe had a large jet crash on his property and it didn't scare anyone away (side note: I actually worked with someone who died in that crash).

It never bothered me either. I grew up in Woodside right along a LGA runway path and that was right at the final approach. The planes constantly passed over at no more than 1000-1500 feet. I grew up with it so I don't even notice it now...but that's me. I just get a kick out of the commentary. People get so passionate about it. You (that's "you" in the general sense) bought within a few miles of a major airport...WTF did you expect???? With the way immigration "laws" have evolved don't expect it to get any better.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:03 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Newman View Post
I hear ya.

Hey John McEnroe had a large jet crash on his property and it didn't scare anyone away (side note: I actually worked with someone who died in that crash).

It never bothered me either. I grew up in Woodside right along a LGA runway path and that was right at the final approach. The planes constantly passed over at no more than 1000-1500 feet. I grew up with it so I don't even notice it now...but that's me. I just get a kick out of the commentary. People get so passionate about it. You (that's "you" in the general sense) bought within a few miles of a major airport...WTF did you expect???? With the way immigration "laws" have evolved don't expect it to get any better.
Oof. 61st and Roosevelt is the loudest place I have ever been!

I lived in Astoria for years off of 21st street, which was loud enough to drown out the planes.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Oof. 61st and Roosevelt is the loudest place I have ever been!

I lived in Astoria for years off of 21st street, which was loud enough to drown out the planes.
I lived on 65th and Roosevelt for 10 years.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:55 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,823,806 times
Ha Ha. Nice premise. People won't buy due to plane noise. They keep buying despite plumes, taxes, heroin, $130k kindergarten teachers, corrupt politicos, illegal dumping, decimated industries, no pro sports team and total economic dysfunction....but that plane 10,000 feet up....that's a deal breaker! lmfao

Seriously though, that issue was kicked around in Brooklyn and Queens (I wasn't on LI) every time a proposed flight path change was made. It gives politicians something to feign concern about and rile up a base. In the big picture I don't think flight noise, paths, etc have impacted sales at all, unless it was a really direct construction matter like a ramp cutting through a backyard or eminent domain attempts. Just on paths and noise, it seems to be a non-starter. Queens and Bklyn are smoking hot markets and LI doing fine as well.

Just my opinion but I don't think people care that much about it beyond a normal annoyance of (sub)urban living in a massive urban center.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 04-01-2016 at 10:05 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,507 times
Now that selling season is upon us, I see dated 3 br, 1 bath dated tract houses in the western Nassau area going for $400+. Some have no garage. Some are far from the LIRR.

Derp.

The pricing insanity in Queens-Brooklyn has been driving this. How high can it go? Will prices meet or beat 2006?

Old 04-08-2016, 06:17 AM

245 posts, read 278,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Now that selling season is upon us, I see dated 3 br, 1 bath dated tract houses in the western Nassau area going for $400+. Some have no garage. Some are far from the LIRR.

Derp.

The pricing insanity in Queens-Brooklyn has been driving this. How high can it go? Will prices meet or beat 2006?
Some houses have either been estimated or put up for sale above the 2006 levels......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island