U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM

148 posts, read 468,042 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about Port Jefferson Station? We are house hunting and have noticed its very affordable. Only problem is we are nervous about the schools. the numbers seem a little low and I know there are some rougher areas. Any advice or info?

I apologize for asking again but it is such a big decision we really want to make the right decision.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 05:56 PM

240 posts, read 884,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
Anyone know anything about Port Jefferson Station? We are house hunting and have noticed its very affordable. Only problem is we are nervous about the schools. the numbers seem a little low and I know there are some rougher areas. Any advice or info?

I apologize for asking again but it is such a big decision we really want to make the right decision.....
Why don't you look at houses in different parts of Rocky Point? There are many houses on the market at great prices; it's the overall better deal.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM

718 posts, read 2,660,700 times
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Port Jeff Station. The schools are not great compared to surrounding area schools. I grew up close to that area. I would look in Rocky Point, Miller Place, Mount Sinai, Port Jefferson (not Station). Good luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,644,135 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Port Jefferson Station

Quote:
Anyone know anything about Port Jefferson Station?

For those who may not be familiar with Port Jefferson Station:

Port Jefferson Station is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north-central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Setauket, the Village of Port Jefferson and the Hamlet of Mount Sinai; on the east by the Hamlet of Mount Sinai and the Hamlet of Terryville; on the south by the Hamlet of Terryville and the Hamlet of Setauket; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Setauket.

The Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station has a different border than does the "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station and a place can have other than a "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station): places that have a "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station are in the Village of Port Jefferson, the Hamlet of Mount Sinai, the Hamlet of Coram, the Hamlet of Terryville and the Hamlet of Setauket; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station with a "Setauket, NY 11733" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-11-2008, 06:58 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,836,480 times
Quote:

Keep looking. You stated you are nervous about the schools.

Don't settle for a low number when there are things about it that make you uncomfortable. The bitterness will remain once the sweetness of the deal is long gone.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 PM

147 posts, read 511,425 times
If schools are so bad, why are homes in "The Woodlands" development, selling for over $700k??

Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
If schools are so bad, why are homes in "The Woodlands" development, selling for over $700k??
Are they selling for over 700k, or just listed for over 700k? I seriously doubt someone would pay that much in this market to live in PJ Station. You could buy in Belle Terre for the high 700's or do very well in the Three Village Area. I think most people would choose those communities over a McMansion off Boyle Road.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Are they selling for over 700k, or just listed for over 700k? I seriously doubt someone would pay that much in this market to live in PJ Station. You could buy in Belle Terre for the high 700's or do very well in the Three Village Area. I think most people would choose those communities over a McMansion off Boyle Road.
There's a couple listed at just over 700K and others hovering under.

My theory: some people care only about image. That same McMansion in a decent area N of 25A is easily $100K/$150K more or better. Some folks would sooner give the illusion of affluence -- sort of the Walmart version of the better life.

IMHO I'd take the $700K and buy a smaller house in a better area. I don't give a rat's patootie what the Joneses think.

The Woodlands -- 4br, 2.5 baths: MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Stony Brook N 25A -- 4BR 2.5 baths: MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Poquott N25A - 4BR 3.5 baths: MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Setauket N25A (harbor around the corner) - 4BR, 2 B, 2 .5baths MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's a couple listed at just over 700K and others hovering under.

My theory: some people care only about image. That same McMansion in a decent area N of 25A is easily $100K/$150K more or better. Some folks would sooner give the illusion of affluence -- sort of the Walmart version of the better life.

IMHO I'd take the $700K and buy a smaller house in a better area. I don't give a rat's patootie what the Joneses think.

The Woodlands -- 4br, 2.5 baths: MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Stony Brook N 25A -- 4BR 2.5 baths: MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Poquott N25A - 4BR 3.5 baths: MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Setauket N25A (harbor around the corner) - 4BR, 2 B, 2 .5baths MLSLI.com - Find a Home
The one in PJS isn't even nice on the inside, looks like they went for the bottom of the line basic builder materials; No crown molding, basic white formica, wall to wall 90's colored carpet. The one in Poquott is by far the nicest in my opinion. To be honest, my 1600 sq ft. ranch looks more upscale on the inside than all of these homes. But I guess it's all about a 3,000 sq ft shell of poor construction. (Refering to the PJS McMansion, the others look to be well built and at least have some character.)

Old 02-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
The one in PJS isn't even nice on the inside, looks like they went for the bottom of the line basic builder materials; No crown molding, basic white formica, wall to wall 90's colored carpet. The one in Poquott is by far the nicest in my opinion. To be honest, my 1600 sq ft. ranch looks more upscale on the inside than all of these homes. But I guess it's all about a 3,000 sq ft shell of poor construction. (Refering to the PJS McMansion, the others look to be well built and at least have some character.)
I like the Poquott house, too. Between the style and the decor, plus the street it is situated on is pretty quiet. Downside: LIPA PJ Stacks are within spitting distance.

The Setauket house is on the opposite side of the cove from the Poquott house and the area is nice, less pretentious than the Poquott neighborhood. The Schooner Cove houses were decently built. I've been in some of them. They almost weren't built. The man who owned the land wanted it to become a cemetery in order to have quiet neighbors by his home. There's a lovely horse farm behind some of them, too.

If I could have the Poquott house on the Setauket land, that's what I would want.

I can tell you the sordid story behind the Stony Brook house as it was the joke of the neighborhood when it came on the market (after sitting as a bombed out shell of a tear down for 2 years) as a wham, bam slam it up with a $999,999 price tag! They're coming to their senses as the market softens -- down to $840K now. In terms of value for the dollar, a normal sized house in this neighborhood is the best way to go. They can be had for under $600K now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island