Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:57 PM

172 posts, read 221,111 times

Advertisements

Just looking for any companies or people you would recommend to purchase from and install bedroom doors

Looking for great detailed work start to finish without getting ripped off.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:48 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Any handy man or carpenter can do this. Interior doors for bedrooms are easy to install, why not save some money and DIY? Unless you want moldings and are very particular then hire someone.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:16 PM

haha thanks. didn't go too well last time. yes I need molding and stuff.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:02 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
A level, a hammer and a box of nails is all you need. You can pick up pre-hung doors very inexpensively at Home Depot or Lowe's. Check out You Tube for "how to install a pre-hung door in 15 minutes" (or something like that). Great video showing how easy it is. I installed 14 interior doors with that method - easy, quick and came out great.

Moulding is just as simple. HD/Lowe's carry "pre-mitered" molding sets as well as the door moulding sets with rosettes. Both are simple to install. (You can go with other moulding, I am just pointed out the simplest method).

If that doesn't work for you, try a lumberyard. They can sell you the doors, deliver them to your home and recommend contractors who install.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Any handy man or carpenter can do this. Interior doors for bedrooms are easy to install, why not save some money and DIY? Unless you want moldings and are very particular then hire someone.
Who installs doors without installing moldings?

Old 04-05-2016, 04:32 AM

186 posts, read 243,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Who installs doors without installing moldings?

It's very common to replace just the slabs (doors only) leaving the jambs and moldings in place. The doors must be cut to precision for the existing opening and then mortised and bored. Not for the DIY except for the forum "easy" "simple" people.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:32 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
My first home had metal door frames. The pre hung doors didn't fit into the rough openings and it turned into a very time consuming project.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
It's very common to replace just the slabs (doors only) leaving the jambs and moldings in place. The doors must be cut to precision for the existing opening and then mortised and bored. Not for the DIY except for the forum "easy" "simple" people.
Sure. Hadn't looked at it that way. I read that they were going to leave them unfinished, moldingwise. Generally an upgrade on doors will go hand in hand with a molding upgrade.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 AM

ok, I'm not doing it myself but it looks like a just need to buy doors and find a guy to install. I thought I'd need a door company to deal with who specializes with the entire project. I didn't want to get cheapo doors at home depot but i'll take a look.

thanks

Old 04-06-2016, 04:52 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
ok, I'm not doing it myself but it looks like a just need to buy doors and find a guy to install. I thought I'd need a door company to deal with who specializes with the entire project. I didn't want to get cheapo doors at home depot but i'll take a look.

thanks
Nothing wrong with the Home Depot or lowes doors. They have composite and solid wood options. These are often the same brands as a lumberyard.

When looking at EXTERIOR doors you are generally better off with the quality and selection of brands at a door/window store. There isn't such a quality variation on interior.

As I noted previously, check a lumberyard. They can very likely recommend someone to install. While HD offers installation services on many items, my personal suggestion would be to look elsewhere for those services.

Check the pricing for the big box store vs the local guy. You might be surprised. Factor in delivery. The lumberyard will deliver to your home. With the big box store you are on your own. Even with a pickup truck, pre hung doors are a real pain in the butt to transport.

I replaced a dozen or so steel frame doors with solid core composite about a year ago. Due to the steel frame, our rough opening wouldn't work with the standard sizes at Home Depot. I found a supply store on Rt 110 in Amityville (forgot the name... Between the SS Pkwy and Sunrise). They were able to provide all my doors in a custom size to fit my rough openings. The cost (custom size) wasn't much more than the standard HD doors of the same exacts construction/quality. Having them all delivered to my driveway was a major benefit.

The people at this store were also able to connect me with some good workers for other projects that I didn't want to do myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: