U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 12,241 times
Default Any bad areas in Port Washington?

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are beginning to look for houses in the Port Washington area. I commute into the city so the LIRR in Port is a big plus. If anyone could pass along any information about Port Washington (best place to live, 'bad' neighborhoods, etc.) it would be most appreciated. We are looking for a nice house (basement and/or garage) in a safe area. Being able to walk to stores is a plus (don't even know yet if that's possible in Port Washington).

Someone suggested an area to the West of Shore Drive, South of Manorhaven Boulevard, off Manhasset Road... but that looks pretty isolated to me.

Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,271,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blustar214 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are beginning to look for houses in the Port Washington area. I commute into the city so the LIRR in Port is a big plus. If anyone could pass along any information about Port Washington (best place to live, 'bad' neighborhoods, etc.) it would be most appreciated. We are looking for a nice house (basement and/or garage) in a safe area. Being able to walk to stores is a plus (don't even know yet if that's possible in Port Washington).

Someone suggested an area to the West of Shore Drive, South of Manorhaven Boulevard, off Manhasset Road... but that looks pretty isolated to me.

Thank you!!
What is your budget?

The area you described is in Manorhaven, which has had some crime problems lately (mainly assaults and vandalism). It's not the ghetto but there is some gang activity there. The specific part of Manorhaven you mentioned is Manhasset Isle which is a tad bit better.

In the rest of Port you also should avoid Harbour Road and Avenue A (Housing projects and gang activity) as well the streets off of South Bayles Avenue.

Since you appear to be looking for something affordable (under 600k) in a safe area of Port (which does limit your options), I would suggest Avenue C in the Terrace (prices are 100K lower than surrounding streets because its a cut through), the streets nearest to Uncle Guissepe's supermarket (in desirable South Salem Elementary District but cheaper than the other side of Port Boulevard) and Irma Avenue/Hillview Avenue area (cheaper because its a cut through but within walking distance of Main Street). These areas are safe and affordable even if they have other small drawbacks.

If $$$ is no problem then there are many safe beautiful areas in Port that you would be happy with. Probably Baxter Estates would best fit your needs if $$$ is no problem.

I would avoid Manorhaven if I were you.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 AM

128 posts, read 13,369 times
Quote:
Thank you!!
"Manhasset isle"
It sure looks that way but it isn’t!
Like Manorhaven its a haven for illegals, renters then add squatters and commercial business on top.

A friend of mine Barbara rented the top floor of a house on Sintsink there (by the dead end).
The landlord rented the downstairs to the Salvadorian couple. They were nice at first, paid cash but within weeks they had 8 more people living with them.
They also tapped into her phone line so they could make calls wile she was at work. She called the police who investigated and found a spliced line in the basement and called the landlord. (After that they harrassed her every day, poisened her cats)
The landlord started an evection process.
By this time the female of the Salvadorian couple was 4 months pregnant and it took the landlord over a year to get them out.
They had stopped paying rent for 14 months and destroyed the place.

I’m not saying every house up there is like this but is happening on just about about EVERY block up.
Now even more of a problem:

Moderator cut: racist remarks

Im a bus driver and get a mugshot drawing 2X a week, this NEVER happend on this level in Port Washington before. Illegel immigration is out of control up there.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-12-2008 at 05:23 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,394,005 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Port Washington

Quote:
My husband and I are beginning to look for houses in the Port Washington area.
For those who may not be familiar with Port Washington:

Previously known as Cow Bay (the NYS legislature officially changed the name to Port Washington in 1857), Port Washington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Baxter Estates, the Village of Port Washington North and the Village of Sands Point; on the east by Hempstead Harbor; on the south by the Village of Flower Hill; and, on the west by the Village of Plandome Manor and Manhasset Bay.

Port Washington is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet: about 3 out of every 5 places with a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address are NOT in the Hamlet of Port Washington.

Quickly eyeballing the map overlay of the "11050" ZIP Code postal zone versus village and hamlet borders, the following 6 communities (5 villages and 1 hamlet) seem to be at least partially within the borders of the "Port Washington, NY" postal zone and hence places in these communities can have a "Port Washington, NY" mailing address (if the community is a village, its year of incorporation is shown inside the parenthesis):

.................................................. .......acres
Village of Sands Point (1932)..............2,743
Village of Port Washington North (1932)...315
Village of Manorhaven (1930)...................326
Village of Baxter Estates (1931)..............109
Hamlet of Port Washington..................2,732
Village of Flower Hill (1931).....................427*

* The Village of Flower Hill has a total area of 1,095 acres, and this is the area serviced by the "Port Washington, NY 11050" postal zone. The Village of Flower Hill's other 668 acres are in the service areas of either the "Manhasset, NY 11030" or the "Roslyn, NY 11576" postal zones.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Manorhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
The area you described is in Manorhaven ...

For those who may not be familiar with Manorhaven:

Manorhaven is a village (incorporated in 1930) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Manorhaven in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Sands Point; on the east by the Village of Port Washington North; on the south by Manhasset Bay; and, on the west by Manhasset Bay and the Village of Sands Point.

Manorhaven is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Manorhaven have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Manhorhaven-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Baxter Estates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Probably Baxter Estates would best fit your needs if $$$ is no problem.

For those who may not be familiar with Baxter Estates:

Baxter Estates is a village (incorporated in 1931) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Baxter Estates in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north, east and south by the Hamlet of Port Washington; and, on the west by Manhasset Bay.

Baxter Estates is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of Baxter Estates have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Baxter-estates-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Old 02-13-2008, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 28,153 times
I lived in Port for 6 months I did not want to get out of anywhere faster than I did there. We rented b4 we bought and I am glad. Baxter Estates is nice, but it is still port. I have family there and there is ALOT of bad boy usage in ALL of the bars (if you know what I mean) It is VERY pretty but I found it varies from block to block. ALOT of gang activity in the schools that they dont want you to know about so they keep it hush. My cousin (who is 17) got jumped IN School 2 times last year and all they did was slap the girls on the had and say how important is was to "keep it in the school" Love the nautical thing going on there and the beautiful houses but that is it....
Good luck

Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,737,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angiemommyof3 View Post
I lived in Port for 6 months I did not want to get out of anywhere faster than I did there. We rented b4 we bought and I am glad. Baxter Estates is nice, but it is still port. I have family there and there is ALOT of bad boy usage in ALL of the bars (if you know what I mean) It is VERY pretty but I found it varies from block to block. ALOT of gang activity in the schools that they dont want you to know about so they keep it hush. My cousin (who is 17) got jumped IN School 2 times last year and all they did was slap the girls on the had and say how important is was to "keep it in the school" Love the nautical thing going on there and the beautiful houses but that is it....
Good luck
bad boy thing?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM

128 posts, read 13,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
bad boy thing?
Drug dealing EVEYPLACE alot of those kids dont work they are in the bars playing pool doing drugs with the gangmembers till 4AM. Especialy some joints on Main street near the train station.
These places all have back doors to the large parking lot, the cops have there hands full. These brats usually have mommys and daddys that are lawyers so getting busted or getting a $30,000 BMW impounded is just a play tax...no problem.

Last edited by RoastBeefJackson; 02-14-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,271,649 times
The main thing to remember about Port is that although there are some gang problems in Manorhaven, the community overall is safe and a nice place to live.

I have no doubt that there are spoiled rich kids sniffing coke with the MS-13 members at the local dive bars, however you find that in any community where kids have too much money to burn.

I just want to state for the record that not everyone in Port is either a MS-13 gang member or a multi-millionaire. There are middle class people like myself in Port that actually cut their own lawn, drive normal cars like a Ford Taurus or a Honda Accord and don't have a nanny raising their children. We are not as numerous as we once were but its still possible to find your niche here and not get sucked in to either extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island