U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 AM
 
2,010 posts, read 2,484,572 times
Reputation: 3914

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I'm sure people do it, but no:

§ 63-48 Shower stalls and bathtubs in basements prohibited.

[Added 9-23-2002 by L.L. No. 4-2002]
No shower stalls or bathtubs shall be installed or maintained in any basement or cellar.

I guess i had it backwards - toilet yes, shower no. Anybody know why this might be?

There's a beautiful Tudor on the market now. Maybe the nicest house in the neighborhood (not mine!). Killer, killer property taxes that have never been grieved.
That makes no sense. Why would it be OK to have a toilet or sink but not a shower? Whats the link for this house you speak of?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2016, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Long Island
9,210 posts, read 13,295,867 times
Reputation: 5506
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When I lived in NY my neighbors had an unpermitted bathroom in their basement. We had a huge storm and a village-owned tree toppled over ripping out the sewage line. Since the basement wasn't permitted the village refused to pay for the damage to the basement from the ruptured sewer line - and the damage was substantial.
Only the bathroom was unpermitted right? All sewer lines go through the basement as far as I know... so I'm not sure why they refused to cover any of the basement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 09:14 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,161,507 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
That makes no sense. Why would it be OK to have a toilet or sink but not a shower? Whats the link for this house you speak of?
123 Amherst Rd, Valley Stream, NY 11581 | MLS 2839144 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

Negatives are 1.5 baths, unfinished basement and maybe too close to the train for some. I love it, though. So much of what comes up are un-updated or poorly updated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 AM
 
2,010 posts, read 2,484,572 times
Reputation: 3914
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
123 Amherst Rd, Valley Stream, NY 11581 | MLS 2839144 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

Negatives are 1.5 baths, unfinished basement and maybe too close to the train for some. I love it, though. So much of what comes up are un-updated or poorly updated.
That is a nice house but yeah, those taxes are astronomically. Too bad, lots or people are going to pass on it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,161,507 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
That is a nice house but yeah, those taxes are astronomically. Too bad, lots or people are going to pass on it.
If I was the seller I'd have an appeal in place (they don't and they missed the deadline) and pay the fee of the firm that does it. The lower the ultimate sales price the better. Based on my results, whoever buys that house can be assured of big results on appeal. My assessment went down 24%. I was willing and could afford to take the risk of buying my house with its silly taxes, but for the Amherst house, at that price and with those taxes I am sure that a lot of prospective buyers in this neoghborhood simply can't afford to carry those taxes in the meantime. I'm sure it will sell eventually to someone like me though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 AM
 
Location: United States
922 posts, read 644,953 times
Reputation: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
That is a nice house but yeah, those taxes are astronomically. Too bad, lots or people are going to pass on it.
Property is very nice, but tax amount is stunning for a home with that asking price.

Contrast with a home in Searingtown that is listed at $1,649,000 with taxes of $15,123.

15 Woodville Ln, Searingtown, NY 11507 | MLS 2821413 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 10:04 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,161,507 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
Property is very nice, but tax amount is stunning for a home with that asking price.

Contrast with a home in Searingtown that is listed at $1,649,000 with taxes of $15,123.

15 Woodville Ln, Searingtown, NY 11507 | MLS 2821413 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate
That's stunning the other way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 10:16 AM
 
Location: United States
922 posts, read 644,953 times
Reputation: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
That's stunning the other way.
No doubt about that. There are many Searingtown homes that are in the range of $1.5 million and up and one would think the taxes would be higher compared to the taxes on a Gibson home selling for 500k.

Check out the tax bills for the affluent crowd.

Billy Joel, Charles Wang of Islanders, Don Vultaggio have the highest taxed homes in Nassau County | Newsday
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 11:34 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,161,507 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
No doubt about that. There are many Searingtown homes that are in the range of $1.5 million and up and one would think the taxes would be higher compared to the taxes on a Gibson home selling for 500k.

Check out the tax bills for the affluent crowd.

Billy Joel, Charles Wang of Islanders, Don Vultaggio have the highest taxed homes in Nassau County | Newsday
I would have expected taxes of 20k-30k on a piece of land like that in Searingtown. The house itself is nothing to write home about, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 05:16 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
19,380 posts, read 28,939,697 times
Reputation: 15208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Only the bathroom was unpermitted right? All sewer lines go through the basement as far as I know... so I'm not sure why they refused to cover any of the basement.

I can't remember what the issue is, but it must have something to do with how the plumbing gets hooked into the sewer line. I remember my sister's next door neighbor did their basement and basically paid off the inspector to let something go that should have been done (or their contractor did). No sooner was the bathroom done than they had a huge backup sewer backup because of this thing that wasn't done right.

The irony was the my sister's husband was a contractor, but they didn't use him because he was "by the book". When the sewer backed up they called him for help, lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top