U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,882,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykiddies View Post
Thank you to all for your advice. My friend requested to move her children to Hauppauge over Smithtown schools and was told it would be a $500 monthly fee. I am willing to pay the extra money (within reason) and I'm not trying to get off free without paying higher taxes.

I will do some questioning with the town.
Just curious...how was this switch approved? Through the districts? Also, was your friend seeking a smaller district? Smithtown and Hauppauge are ostensibly the same aside from the size of the respective high schools. Some consider Smithtown stronger with Intel winners, etc. Just curious as I had not come across anybody in this region that was able to get approval for a school switch unless it pertained to obtaining specialized services for high need students (disability, special education programs, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 PM

43 posts, read 133,046 times
I live on right on the border between hempstead or should i say south hempstead and rockville centre on the corner of carolina avenue. The house right across the street facing hempstead avenue and has rockville centre school district. Do you think it's possible to have my child get into rockville centre schools? Molloy college is about a minute away from my home and I'd much rather have my son get a good education

Old 04-06-2009, 11:36 AM

8,167 posts, read 17,903,640 times
My friend requested to move her children to Hauppauge over Smithtown schools and was told it would be a $500 monthly fee.

I have never really heard of this being allowed. Otherwise the kids who live in South Amityville would all be attending the Massapequa schools and those in Central Islip would be allowed to enroll in East Islip's far better district. There really isn't that much difference between Hauppauge and Smithtown. I would even think that Smithtown might have nicer schools.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,310 times
i dont live inl long island but I want to move school districts i live a small 6 house sub division and i used to live in a different house in the subdivision and that was zoned in hillsboro but i had my grandma who worked in desoto so i could go to desoto. I would rather Go to hilsboro now and i now live in a different house in the subdivision but very close. The property we have is about 30 or so acres and half of it is in desoto half in hillsboro so we pay property taxes in hillsboro and all those things and for desoto. the house however is locaterd on the desoto chunk of th property but all the same lot. So wouldnt that give me a reason to go to hillsboro? if not nesessarily where can i go to talk with someone about this?

Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,527,757 times
A couple of points on this old thread:

Towns have absolutely no control over the policies of school districts that are all or partly within that town.

On a space available basis, some school districts allow tuition-paying non-resident students to attend schools in their district; but, there is no guarantee that the same student will be allowed to attend as a tuition-paying non-resident student the following school year.

Among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:42 PM

7,622 posts, read 8,039,329 times
ONE house away and they won't make an exception?

Here in West Islip they allow people from Fire Island to attend West Islip schools not to mention pretty much the entirety of West Bay Shore. Fire Island students attend elementary school on FI and then are allowed to opt for either West Islip or Bay Shore for middle school and high school.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Here in West Islip they allow people from Fire Island to attend West Islip schools not to mention pretty much the entirety of West Bay Shore. Fire Island students attend elementary school on FI and then are allowed to opt for either West Islip or Bay Shore for middle school and high school.

The Fire Island Union Free School District encompasses students who live on Fire Island from the community of Davis Park on the east end to Kismet on the west. Children who live at the Coast Guard facility known as Station Fire Island also are educated by the district. The Pre-Kindergarten program is a half day program. Students in grades Kindergarten through six attend the Woodhull School in Corneille Estates from 8:00 Am-2:35 PM. After grade six, parents may choose to send their children to either the Islip Union Free School district or the Bay Shore Union Free School District for secondary school.

The Fire Island UFSD contracts with and pays tuition to both the Islip Union Free School District and the Bay Shore Union Free School District so that students in the Fire Island Union Free School District can attend middle and high school in those districts.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
grant516

n/a posts
There are some homes in NYS that have property that crosses a line. I can't say it's true for LI since the only experience I have is in Westchester. I know from family experience that even if you're 90% in one district, and 10% in the other- your taxes should be assessed as such and you'd still have 50-50 choice in where to go.

Other than that- since they require a copy of your property tax bill it would be a tough sell.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
There are some homes in NYS that have property that crosses a line. I can't say it's true for LI since the only experience I have is in Westchester. I know from family experience that even if you're 90% in one district, and 10% in the other- your taxes should be assessed as such and you'd still have 50-50 choice in where to go.
For property that was in more than one school district, it had been that the first buyer of the property had a one time election as to which school district the children living on the property would attend; but, as I seem to recall, sometime in the 1990s, the NYS legislature changed this to a one time election by the new owner each time the property is sold.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM

570 posts, read 972,857 times
Check on school district policy first.

In our district people who live right on the border of a neighboring district could buy a square foot of their neighbor's property (with that person's consent of course) in the other district, contiguous with their own property, and then be allowed to go to school there. They would have to figure what tuition is due for the part of the year they were in the first district vs the new one. Only a couple of people have done this that I'm aware of. Also needed school board approval. Not guaranteed!!

Districts have borderlines for a reason! You can't just say "I want to go there instead".

We have also had secondary students pay tuition to come to our high school. They wanted the opportunity to take more AP classes than their (wealthier) district provided! This had to be approved by the school board first on an individual basis. Again, not guaranteed.

We had one guy try to get the district to move the boundary line so he could sell his house in the neighboring wealthier district, thus getting a bigger selling price! He paid lots for lawyers, but it didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island