Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM

18 posts, read 45,710 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see why people would pick the South Shore of Long Island vs the North Shore of Long Island and vice versa.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times

Long Island North Shore Vs. South Shore?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Also,

Most Prestigious Long Island Shore: North or South?

North Shore vs South Shore vs Mid Island

Old 07-18-2010, 12:43 PM

217 posts, read 573,490 times
Billy Joel said it best: You can have a rich girl from the north shore or a cool girl from the south shore.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
South Shore. Just because its where I grew up and the beaches.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
I'd like to put my 2 cents in. North Shore by far. Homes aren't on top of one another, less Levitt-style housing developments, more architechural(sp) diversity, the hills and the bluffs. The most breathtaking view I have ever seen was in Baiting Hollow (Riverhead area) The house sat on a bluff and had the most amazing view of Conn. If I could afford it, I'd buy it in a minute over the many mansions in Westhampton or Southampton. Those homes are ecological disaters that are waiting for a good hurricane to send them off to the Atlantic oceans' LaLa Land.

I remember once driving through the canal area of Merrick and seeing these ultra contemporary homes. At first they were impressive but after a minute of driving I noticed that there were only about 4 different styles of homes in the neighborhood. The homes were also so close together, you could probably see your next door neighbor having sex in their bedroom.

Many towns and villages on the North Shore have ordinances that prohibit such neighborhoods. It took me awhile to find something that fit my love of the North Shore but wasn't overly expensive. Wading River, my only complaint is the commute. I wish the LIRR still had the Port Jeff branch continuing all the way to Wading River or at least electrify the Ronk Branch to Yaphank. The LIRR is being shortsighted, there are still growing burbs in Brookhaven and Riverhead townhips.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
The most breathtaking view I have ever seen was in Baiting Hollow (Riverhead area)
Baiting Hollow is a hamlet in the Town of Riverhead.

Quote:
It took me awhile to find something that fit my love of the North Shore but wasn't overly expensive. Wading River, my only complaint is the commute.
Wading River, too, is a hamlet in the Town of Riverhead.

Quote:
The LIRR is being shortsighted, there are still growing burbs in Brookhaven and Riverhead townhips.
Brookhaven, as is Riverhead, is a town.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:52 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Actually Walter parts of Wading River is in Brookhaven township. I live in the Riverhead township section, when I first moved here I found that out mostly through the taxes, SDs and services of each town. Ex. I live in town of Riverhead but I pay taxes for SWR SD which is in the Town of Brookhaven. If i ride my bike uptown by the post office I'm in Brookhaven.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:56 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
I've lived on both, and in not so great places on the south shore and I'd still take it hands down.

1. Ocean beaches. Can't live without them.

2. It's laughably easier to get around on the south shore.

3. Despite what some others say houses are not on top of one another. The previous poster was comparing apples to oranges. I've never seen that issue on the south shore where I am or either I'm really hard of hearing or my neighbors just don't have sex.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Default A map of the Hamlet of Wading River in the Town of Riverhead, Suffolk County

Quote:
Actually Walter parts of Wading River is in Brookhaven township. I live in the Riverhead township section, when I first moved here I found that out mostly through the taxes, SDs and services of each town.
Sorry, 1nevets, while a part of the "Wading River, NY 11972" ZIP Code crosses the Riverhead/Brookhaven town line (a part of the Hamlet of East Shoreham and a part of the Hamlet of Ridge have a "Wading River, NY 11972" mailing address), no part of the Hamlet of Wading River is in the Town of Brookhaven.

A map of the Hamlet of Wading River in the Town of Riverhead, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Wading River has a different border than does the "Wading River 11792" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Wading River 11792" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Wading River and a place can have other than a "Wading River 11792" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Wading River): places that have a "Wading River, NY 11792" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Wading River are in the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge in the Town of Brookhaven; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Wading River with a "Calverton, NY 11933" mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island