U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:06 PM

21 posts, read 36,050 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (together with our two-year-old son) are looking to move from Queens to Long Island. We are both Chinese (I'm a new immigrant and my husband has been here for 20+ years). We both work in financial services firms in the city (I'm in midtown and he's in downtown). School zone and commute is our 2 top priorities when considering a house. Our budget is 900K or under.

We've been doing some research and looked at quite a few houses (I'd day 30-50!) in various areas (Great Neck, Manhasset, Manhasset Hill, Garden City, Jericho, Syosset, Plainview-Old Bethpage.....).

Here's what we know,

Great Neck: 30 mins commute to city and great school. Growing Chinese / Asian population (50% in schools) in Great Neck, now this is something that I'm not sure though - do I really want my son to be in a Chinese / Asian dominated school or would it be better to be in a more diverse school....Also the houses are usually older (built in 1920s) and need more maintenance.
Manhasset: excellent area but it's just out of our budget
Manhasset Hill: I think this is an area with a New Hyde park mailing address but call itself Manhasset hill. The houses are newer (built in 1950s, 1960s) and more split levels and colonials which we like (vs. the southern part of new hyde park where there're more cape style houses) Herricks school is good ranking with a close to 50% Asia population (mainly Indian I think). It's 30 mins train ride to penn station which is great.
Garden City: Our two sis-in-laws live in Garden City, it's a lovely community but our major concerns are 1) its south neighborhood is North Hempstead which we don't particularly like (just personal preference nothing against racial...) 2) I heard the Garden City school is very much sports-oriented. being an Asia and not knowing all sorts of popular sports here, I think it'll be a struggle for us to mingle well with the rest of the parents and kids. the Asian population is also extremely low (only 3-4%)
Jericho: #1 schools, (I think) more and more main-land rich Chinese are after this top school zone which is driving up the Asia population there. I'm not sure of what culture influence they will bring....also Jericho schools attract people from nearby affluent towns like Brookville, Muttontown. It's farther commute (1 hour 15 mins to 1 hr 30 mins door to door) to the city
Syosset/Plainview-old bethpage: good schools too but even further out. Asia population is less (around 25%)

With that, we've almost narrowed down to Manhasset Hill and Jericho but haven't decided yet. I'm leaning towards Manhasset Hill since it's shorter commute and the Herricks school is good too. I'm not sure if I want to send my son to the #1 school where it can be very competitive and might end up being better to be in a second-tier school where it's easier to thrive? (I understand it's probably way too early to talk about these as it's mostly depending on the child himself and how involved the parents are....)

Any advises and suggestions are appreciated.

btw, above is purely personal opinions and or preferences gathered/developed during our house-hunting process. doesn't mean to offend anything/anyone (if any...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 12:24 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,618,141 times
have you visited the school? Herricks and Jericho/Syosset is tons of Asians there.....GN also

you can't go by those statistic. Many are outdated & a lot of change since then. Also, some are broken to more than one school...so there will be a lot of distortion there.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
have you visited the school? Herricks and Jericho/Syosset is tons of Asians there.....GN also
We stopped by the Jericho schools on a weekend but couldn't really see anything except that it appears to be very organized and nice and neat place. We mainly researched online, agreed there're a lot of Asian in those school district, the difference is Herricks has more India in its Asia population and Jericho/Great Neck has more Chinese..... total Asia % are both at around 50%, Syosset is less Asia around 25% if the stats I'm looking at is correct...I think we feel more comfortable with the Chinese population but we also want our kid to be well-rounded and not just hang out with Chinese....

Old 04-19-2016, 12:33 PM

8,507 posts, read 11,383,829 times
Quote:
do I really want my son to be in a Chinese / Asian dominated school or would it be better to be in a more diverse school
It's not technically asian-dominated but yes normally I would suggest to stay away from that if possible. However you still want top schools. Many asians before you have made this decision and that's why the asian population continues to grow in the same schools.

I think you should be asking whether you want it to be super competitive for yourself or your children because that will certainly be a factor in the top towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdd View Post
I think we feel more comfortable with the Chinese population but we also want our kid to be well-rounded and not just hang out with Chinese....
I feel like even in Syosset it's already a lot. You don't have to have anything more than 10% to feel "comfortable". Take it from a fellow minority who grew up here with immigrant parents. I wouldn't focus on the asian population thing at all since it would be a given wherever you end up. If you purposely want to keep away from that, by all means.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-19-2016 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 12:40 PM

Almost every school the OP listed is the most heavily populated Asian school district in Nassau county. If its good or top ranked school district, the flocking will continue if I had my guess.

As for the very affluent areas....a decent amount of their kids go to private school is my guess as well. I personally know quite a handful of people who spent top dollar for private school out here without blinking an eye.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It's not technically asian-dominated but yes normally I would suggest to stay away from that if possible. However you still want top schools. Many asians before you have made this decision and that's why the asian population continues to grow in the same schools.

I think you should be asking whether you want it to be super competitive for yourself or your children because that will certainly be a factor in the top towns.

I feel like even in Syosset it's already a lot. You don't have to have anything more than 10% to feel "comfortable". Take it from a fellow minority who grew up here. I wouldn't focus on the asian population thing at all since it would be a given wherever you end up.
Thanks for your reply. It's almost dilemma that every parent want the best for their child but also want them to be happy. (if they are happy with being in a highly competitive environment, great. if not, I guess probably something less competitive will work out better)

w/r/t to the Asia %, I guess my point is I want some Asia population but not overwhelming...(like as if you are walking on the street of Flushing and don't feel you are in US at all lol)

Old 04-19-2016, 12:43 PM

8,507 posts, read 11,383,829 times
BTW, your English is excellent for a new immigrant - was it taught as a 2nd language from a very young age abroad?

And since you mentioned both working in the city, you may want to settle somewhere closer there, rather than a Jericho/Syosset/POB. What is your commute tolerance? The closer you are, the less house you'll get for your $. I have a friend who bought Manhasset for $900k but it was very much a fixer-upper.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I feel like even in Syosset it's already a lot. You don't have to have anything more than 10% to feel "comfortable". Take it from a fellow minority who grew up here with immigrant parents. I wouldn't focus on the asian population thing at all since it would be a given wherever you end up. If you purposely want to keep away from that, by all means.

BTW, your English is excellent for a new immigrant - was it taught as a 2nd language from a very young age abroad?

Thank you! it's funny the longer I stay here (I've been here for 3 yrs now) and worse I feel my English has gotten. I guess it's the more and more gaps (slangs, terms etc) used b native speakers... and English was taught from 10+ years old when I was a kid but nowadays parents in China teach their kid English right after they are born!!

Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:

And since you mentioned both working in the city, you may want to settle somewhere closer there, rather than a Jericho/Syosset/POB. What is your commute tolerance? The closer you are, the less house you'll get for your $. I have a friend who bought Manhasset for $900k but it was very much a fixer-upper.
Our commute tolerance would be 1.5 for my husband (since he works downtown) and 1 hr for me (I'm in mid-town) but the shorter the better...right now we are in Fresh Meadows and it constantly takes me 1 hr 15 mins door to door by express bus plus walking to the bus stop!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:00 PM

also consider how will you get to the train station, how often the train comes and the parking situation. Parking at the LIRR is a huge problem for a lot of commuters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or