U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2016, 08:20 AM
 
6 posts, read 6,051 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

A house we looked at in floral park is filthy in the inside. the owners are DISGUSTING (filthy, messy, dirty laundry on the floor everywhere, garbage overflowing etc.) BUT the house is in a real good area has a rentable apartment in the basement and is a real good corner property. twe offered a very low price an the owners re-countered about 10k higher. I am considering it but want to really look at the house again because the fist time i saw it, i was disgusted at the owners and did not scrutinize. the rooms need painting and the walls need to be done. but the price we offered is a steal in the neighborhood.

who should i bring with me that can help me eyeball the house and really tell me whats what when we look at it again. when i first looked, it was a quick look around and i didnt really thoroughly inspect it. i know that the bedrooms upstairs have graffiti on the wall.. and one of walls in the living room have... wrapping paper.. as wall paper.......................... but the price is real good as well as the school district. i can deal with interior cosmetic issues but i wouldnt know what to look at for exterior cosmetic stuff or real important/pricey fixes that need to be done

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2016, 08:31 AM
 
1,127 posts, read 861,120 times
Reputation: 1476
Best bet is to bring someone with you how has experience buying/selling homes or had done home remodeling work or has a background in home inspections.

The problem often isn't what you can see, but what you can't see. The wallpaper on the walls... is it hiding something? Are the walls behind it rotted away? Will you have to replace the sheetrock? Are the studs behind that sheetrock in good condition? Often people who neglect the "cosmetics" this much have also neglected the important things... the use band-aid solutions which hide the problem and create more trouble down the line.

Do they have an infestation of mice, rats or insects from all the garbage? While these can be fixed, some pests can impact the structure of the home (i.e. like termites) or chew through electrical lines. An experienced eye can spot signs of critters, but cannot tell the extent of the damage without opening walls.

Any home can be cleaned and fixed up. If the pice is good and you like the property, it might be worth it. Just remember to budget 50-100% more than you first expect in both time and money.

Any offer you make should be contingent on a home inspection. Hire a good firm and analyze their report well - it may provide clues as to less obvious problems. Remember that even home inspectors can miss quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 08:33 AM
 
92 posts, read 90,570 times
Reputation: 77
Is that a legal apartment in the basement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 08:37 AM
 
Location: United States
919 posts, read 587,791 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisO View Post
A house we looked at in floral park is filthy in the inside. the owners are DISGUSTING (filthy, messy, dirty laundry on the floor everywhere, garbage overflowing etc.) ...

Does anyone have any suggestions?!
Few things are as much of a turn-off as excessive clutter and inexcusable filth.

Suggestions ... just one ... look elsewhere ... do not settle for this mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 AM
 
6 posts, read 6,051 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhlschrank View Post
Is that a legal apartment in the basement?
nope. i plan to have my mother in law stay there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,833 posts, read 29,136,383 times
Reputation: 7397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
Few things are as much of a turn-off as excessive clutter and inexcusable filth.

Suggestions ... just one ... look elsewhere ... do not settle for this mess.
According to the OP, the amount they offered is 'the steal of the neighborhood'. Provided they get a detailed home inspection that doesn't uncover any major issues, one of the provisions in the contract is the home be broom clean at closing.

Bypassing what could be a very good deal because of a mess is very myopic. We bought my house interior unseen. The yard was a disaster, we knew inside wasn't going to be much better. Best investment we ever made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 08:56 AM
 
Location: United States
919 posts, read 587,791 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
... Bypassing what could be a very good deal because of a mess is very myopic.
In this particular instance, I suppose myopic will suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 09:00 AM
 
6 posts, read 6,051 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
According to the OP, the amount they offered is 'the steal of the neighborhood'. Provided they get a detailed home inspection that doesn't uncover any major issues, one of the provisions in the contract is the home be broom clean at closing.

Bypassing what could be a very good deal because of a mess is very myopic. We bought my house interior unseen. The yard was a disaster, we knew inside wasn't going to be much better. Best investment we ever made.
Thank you. The owners have lived there for over 30yrs so i strongly assume our steal offer price should still have them on the positive side. i sensed that they just wanted to get out and go to a smaller place (all their children moved out and its just the two of them now). i dont want to pass on an opportunity. i would put my blood, sweat, and tears into a place that is for my family and i know my husband would too.

im happy for you that you made a great decision! i can only hope that our decision will be positive as well whichever route we go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 AM
 
1,143 posts, read 998,228 times
Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisO View Post
Thank you. The owners have lived there for over 30yrs so i strongly assume our steal offer price should still have them on the positive side. i sensed that they just wanted to get out and go to a smaller place (all their children moved out and its just the two of them now). i dont want to pass on an opportunity. i would put my blood, sweat, and tears into a place that is for my family and i know my husband would too.

im happy for you that you made a great decision! i can only hope that our decision will be positive as well whichever route we go
Who cares? If you buy it it'll be your house and you can keep it clean. As long as it is structurally OK, go for it.

The house I bought was not filthy exactly, but it was really unappealing on the interior, too. And I got a great price and no competition for it.

Get an exterminator and several cans of paint and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 AM
 
690 posts, read 513,628 times
Reputation: 653
Is it messy or dirty? Piles of laundry will not be left behind; bug infestations caused by garbage lying around will stay. And keep in mind that there might be issues that are going to be hard to see under a mess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top