U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 AM

4 posts, read 9,970 times
Default Give Minorities a chance

My wife and I have recently moved to Long Island from the Midwest. I have read a lot of comments on this forum, and have mixed feelings. We are an educated African American couple. We both have Masters Degrees and good careers. I have read some pleasing comments about the acceptance of different cultures, and I have also read some disheartening and disgusting comments. We are extremely nice, courteous and responsible individuals. I should not have to submit our personal qualifications to prove that we are eligible to live in a certain neighborhood, but I wanted to dispel certain stereotypes. We moved in a predominantly white area in Minnesota two years ago, and were embraced from the moment of our arrival. We participated in every neighborhood event, and made every effort to maintain the beauty of the community. The comments that I have read from individuals like GCGuy have some what broken my spirit. I anticipated a diverse community with general acceptance on Long Island. I am not naive; I know that certain demographics have some challenging social issues. These issues are NOT a genetic trait based on their heritage. I would like everyone on this site and Long Island to judge your new or existing neighbor based on their character and not their nationality.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:33 AM

4,502 posts, read 7,697,255 times
Just to get an idea of how *some* Long Islanders think/feel, check out the message boards at the News 12 Long Island website... www.news12.com/LI

It's pretty disgusting and I can't even believe that the News 12 moderators would allow any of that stuff to be posted.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 AM

4,502 posts, read 7,697,255 times
PS: Oh, and welcome to Long Island. I hope you're in a nice area with good schools for your kids

Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 AM

542 posts, read 1,266,627 times
But we were always taught that New Yorkers were such a tolerant bunch....lol.

Long Island is rotting at the core...

Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM

128 posts, read 9,756 times
You sound like hard working "American's" to me who are not going to stink up the block with Curry on 4th July or blast Mariachi music till 2 AM.

GCGuy comments do reflect some hard truth and this is America and not Canada.
Be warned there are neighborhoods in Long Island that are not receptive to change and if thats the way they want to live as a communiety who the hell is anybody to tell them that’s wrong?
Its YOUR choice to move into a multicultural receptive area or not and pay its consequences.

-RP

Moderator cut: Please refrain from making vulgar and racist remarks

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-13-2008 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 AM

13,692 posts, read 15,355,524 times
Welcome to LI. I'm sorry that you have had to experience negativity here.

Every group has its good and bad. Unfortunately the thing that sticks with most people is the bad. You and I could sit down and write a list of the negative stereotype each ethnic and racial group have been stuck with -- a sad commentary on all of us.

We welcomed a new neighbor a few years ago. Turns out the man was a liar; he told everyone one thing and then went and destroyed his house and erected a McMansion. He ran out of money and put the house up for sale.

After that experience, I was excited at the prospect of having a nice new neighbor. This area is more welcoming to people than others. (I've written about the diversity of the town in other posts, so I am not going to go into detail again.) Someone close to me said, "What if your new neighbor is a N*****?" That remark was greeted with silence. Gangsta rappers refer to themselves that way, not educated adults. This community has a substantial number of educated, professional adults and tends to draw such people here to live.

I replied that the doctor who saved my husband's life wasn't white. If that doctor were to become my new neighbor, I would welcome him. If any of his rainbow of peers were to move in, I would welcome them. This same ignoramous stated, "Well what if your son was dating their daughter?"

I laughed. They didn't know that the doctor had a daughter, who is in my son's school and in the same grade level. BTW --- she's gorgeous like Beyonce and an honor student to boot. She is a young lady, not a ghetto gurl. I smiled, shook my head and said, "Nevermind."

There's no arguing with a closed mind.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM

4,177 posts, read 6,960,883 times
in my development people of all races live well together. I dont care what your background is as long as you keep your property nice, clean and good. We have cops, correction officers, doctors, professors, firemen, retired people, electricians, plumbers, hvac, pest control people, realtors. We have irish, german, puerto rican, South American, American.
If we can do it ; and we have only about 60 homes here, anyone can.
Sorry you experienced that.
d

Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,706,157 times
Yes, I'm the devil. Boo.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 PM

941 posts, read 1,234,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investigator01 View Post
My wife and I have recently moved to Long Island from the Midwest. I have read a lot of comments on this forum, and have mixed feelings. We are an educated African American couple. We both have Masters Degrees and good careers. I have read some pleasing comments about the acceptance of different cultures, and I have also read some disheartening and disgusting comments. We are extremely nice, courteous and responsible individuals. I should not have to submit our personal qualifications to prove that we are eligible to live in a certain neighborhood, but I wanted to dispel certain stereotypes. We moved in a predominantly white area in Minnesota two years ago, and were embraced from the moment of our arrival. We participated in every neighborhood event, and made every effort to maintain the beauty of the community. The comments that I have read from individuals like GCGuy have some what broken my spirit. I anticipated a diverse community with general acceptance on Long Island. I am not naive; I know that certain demographics have some challenging social issues. These issues are NOT a genetic trait based on their heritage. I would like everyone on this site and Long Island to judge your new or existing neighbor based on their character and not their nationality.
I would gladly have an African-American family such as yours as my next door neighbor. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Who I wouldn't want as my neighbors would be a house full of illegal day-laborers from Latin America that drink beer outside in public and whistle at teenaged girls as they walk by. That I would find troubling, as would most other decent people of any race.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 PM

210 posts, read 428,973 times
Bottom line is to judge the person, not the color of their skin or their religion. Every group has good, and every group has bad. Each person should be judged on his/her own merits.

Welcome to LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island