Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 01:59 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
In that case and with your budget I would go with Roslyn, Roslyn Heights or East Williston. You can ride the Oyster Bay line (slow) or drive to Mineola or Manhasset for a faster commute.
East Williston is a good suggestion. Albertson, too. Williston LIRR station has a decent commute time to Penn actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,180 times
Interesting, the answer could be in or near East Williston.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:57 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
Completely agree about PW. And while you can get a similar commute on other lines, it comes at the cost of a much more generic, less charming, staler community in most cases. It's just not nearly the same. Or you can extend your commute for a similar feel. Unfortunately for most, PW is just not viable anymore.
No it's not the same, but I still can't wrap my head around the type of people buying $700k starter homes in Port Washington. I can't imagine them being tenable for a well-off family, but that's what you need to be to comfortably afford one. I would guess they are young professional couples who are very nearly maxing themselves out. I could never live on the edge like that.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:51 AM

19 posts, read 30,230 times
aPW resident viewpoint here so take what I say with a grain of salt i guess:

1. At a budget of ~$1M, you have a choice of quite a few recently remodeled or new build homes. I wouldn't look in Manorhaven at that budget unless you are looking for a 2 family. Radcliff, 3rd ave, Anchorage, have newer homes in your budget. Some homes in your budget don't have a basement, I didn't mention them for that reason. Radcliff is not walking distance to train, you could walk from Anchorage.

Manorhaven is not BAD per say but just the entry level to PW. Houses in Manorhaven are closer together, lots are 5k sqft and under and we are more diverse. What you get in Manorhaven is a bus line to the train if needed, unbeatable access to the pool/beach/playground. My neighbors might not be white collar but we help each other out in winter etc.

Daly/Sousa is a moot point for me since all schools go to the same MS/HS. Daly houses the Special ed classes for the district so there's that to consider. If you are worried about Daly I'd be in trouble with Manorhaven Elementary.

2. My budget was half of yours and I found a house for low 600s and all i had to do was renovate the bathroom, I did have to compromise distance to train station for a 100k cut in asking price. I also looked in all Syosset, Jericho, Plainview, NHP, Williston Pk, East Williston, Herricks etc. Placed offers on homes in all those areas, Syosset homes were bigger and more land for lower price but taxes were higher as you well know. Syosset schools are rated higher than PW by consensus but they're close.

3. Reasons I prefer PW LIRR line: When I get to the train station, the train is waiting for me, not the other way around which is nice in inclement weather. I always get a seat of my preference, I can nap on the way home without fear of missing my stop. The ever popular, "Straight into Manhattan with No transfers." really sold my wife who was from Brooklyn and was hesitant to move to LI. Wife takes the 7:36 to Penn and is able to park in one of the further lots. By that time most of the lots are full or near full. Street parking around the train station is short term only so you would have to park further away (approx 10minute walk). Parking Pass is 240 a year or $1 a day (soon $2) plus the permit (I think its $25)

What's been said about PW is true, it can get expensive, it is far north, it is by the water, you can find better schools, you can have a "similar commute," you can find a better downtown elsewhere. BUT and its a big BUT, PW is arguably the best mix of all the above for the price. I drive by Shore Road everyday on the way home and the view just makes me forget about work immediately. Look hard and you will find what you are looking for.

Last edited by th003g; 04-24-2016 at 11:07 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 11:57 AM

56 posts, read 133,913 times
We moved to Port Washington in 2012 for many of the same reasons noted in other posts - affordable, mixed, and offers a more normal feel as opposed to places like Manhasset, Great Neck, and Plandome where plain and simple - everyone has a lot of money. We got a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom home for under 650K in a high end area of Port and it was the best thing we ever did. Yes it required some sweat equity but with the market today in Port, it is the best investment we could have made to date. With that being said, the market today is very expensive and you will surely be able to get more bang for your buck going south. But at your price point you should have ZERO issues finding a very nice home in Port Washington (I know very nice is different for everyone). But even at your low end of 900K 4-5 bedrooms and 2-3 bathrooms with decent property and not much work to be put into it is ABSOLUTELY attainable. Then you are near the water, quick commute into NYC with much less of the delays that other lines deal with, and great schools. If parking is an issue buy something within a mile. I live 1 mile away and used to walk every day - now I drive due to children etc. Take the 7:46 everyday and get to the lot a bit early to secure a spot - Fridays are easy to park so you just have to worry about Monday to Thursday (summer lightens up a bit). If you cant find a spot, walk or find some street parking which is available in certain spots. But don't give up on Port - 900K is an amazing budge to have and you can find something great. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island